Garrett Pro Pointer (original) sensitivity issue

coin pirate

Forum Supporter
I have one of the original black Pro Pointer, and its a tank, still works, just getting a little frustrating with false beeping under pressure. This little booger detects anywhere from 1-5 inches, pennies 1-1/2", larger coins up to 3" and can-slaw, lids, large iron 5"+, problem is when in the hole if I press into it or around the sides it beeps rapidly, I can do it outside the hole against my hand as well. Anyway for me to fix this, is it something inside needing trimmed, re-soldered?? Or just live with it?
picture.php

I use the same pinpointer and have not seen this issue. A call to Garrett might be worth making, just to see what they say. They may offer to test / repair it for a reasonable cost. Nothing to lose by contacting them.

I like the looks of that coiled tether you have attached to yours. Care to share where you got it?

Jim

I use the same pinpointer and have not seen this issue. A call to Garrett might be worth making, just to see what they say. They may offer to test / repair it for a reasonable cost. Nothing to lose by contacting them.

I like the looks of that coiled tether you have attached to yours. Care to share where you got it?

Jim

Was given to me from a fellow detectorist some 4 yrs ago.

Put a clad quarter inside the battery cap, to add more compression on the battery. I actually have a large Mexican coin in mine.

It can't hurt you to try. That lanyard "ring" right at the battery cap might be causing some slack in your connections, intermittent.

These older Pro Pointers are bad about losing battery connection integrity, due to a flimsy foam thingy which quickly degrades.

Put a clad quarter inside the battery cap, to add more compression on the battery. I actually have a large Mexican coin in mine.

It can't hurt you to try. That lanyard "ring" right at the battery cap might be causing some slack in your connections, intermittent.

These older Pro Pointers are bad about losing battery connection integrity, due to a flimsy foam thingy which quickly degrades.

Losing connection = no beep, mine beeps under pressure from sides and at tip so?? I mean I'll try it, hell, I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought that....(War Games):p

I don't apply any real pressure when I use my pointers. If and when I get chatter like this, I power down the Pro Pointer, and then powered back up with the tip touching inside the hole or right next to the hole. It's detuning.

Honestly? Since this is a gift from 4 years back, sending it to Garretts in Garland will surely give you results. Garretts factory is cool! What's the worst to happen? A $50 repair. I haven't read about any higher bills that the 50 dollar range. It's usually more like $25.

I don't apply any real pressure when I use my pointers. If and when I get chatter like this, I power down the Pro Pointer, and then powered back up with the tip touching inside the hole or right next to the hole. It's detuning.

I try not to either, but sometimes when your searching and there's a bunch of loose soil in the hole still and fumbling around for a signal I probably press to hard, or trying to check the sides, no need for pressure really but it happens.

Some of the older black models had a problem with the insulation wearing on one of the wires. It caused a problem when it grounded out. It does not cost anything to call garret was told by the that the basic charge is $27.50 for labor plus the cost of any parts. Reasonable in my opinion.

I have the same one and have the same issue when I push it too hard into the soil. Other than that, it works great. I just live with it.

I have the same one and have the same issue when I push it too hard into the soil. Other than that, it works great. I just live with it.

Other than that, mine works great, nature of the beast, and I'm not paying Garrett to fix it, I'd invest the money in another one first

My first pinpointer was one of the original Garrett's and it falsed a bit if I applied pressure to it. Easing up on it solved the problem. Right now I'm using a Propointer 2 and it doesn't ever false.

I have a Garrett Carrot and a Whites TRX. The TRX is much better at not detecting from the side than the garrett, however I still pick the Garrett over the TRX as the range feels better.

For detecting in a hole, I do the following.
1. At the top of the hole, quick tap the button to reset sensitivity.
2. Move pointer into hole until it vibrates (I have beep disabled), then quick tap again to reset.
3. Move closer until it vibrates, then tap again.
4. I can usually tell by now if the item is left or right of center by moving in a circle around the hole.
5. A few more quick taps isolates the object fairly well and reduces digging time to recovery.

If you find that the pinpointer vibrates no matter where you are at in the hold and has no ability to sensitivity adjust via quick taps, the item you are detecting is likely larger and deeper than you think. In cases where quick tapping won't help isolate the object I typically move on without more digging, unless the signal and hit are so clear it's worth finding out what is larger and deeper down.

Back
Top Bottom