Hello from Salt Lake City, Utah!

Backslider

Howdy everyone!

I'm new to this board and metal detecting. I have always plucked up silver (and even some gold!) coins as a result of some great advice from my great grandpa when I was a kid.. But they have become increasingly hard to find over the years and I thought I'd try my luck at metal detecting and even gold prospecting. I've picked up an inexpensive metal detector that seems pretty good at locating coins and even small gold nuggets - I haven't seriously used in "in the wild" but I've tested at home by burying already-found treasures.

I'm interested in sharing information and getting together with local people (and reasonably distant people, in my state or surrounding states) to metal detect, prospect, etc. I have some good old places in mind as I grew up in small towns in central Utah... I'd love to talk to some seasoned pros but I don't have a lot of time to join a group and attend meetings. I have a family and work two jobs and go to school right now so my free time is temporarily limited.

Nice to be here and absorb all this great information! I look forward to meeting you all and learning everything I can. Can't wait to dig up that first piece of silver. :D

Hello from Orem, Utah

I am new to metal detecting, in the process of selecting a metal detector as I do not want to just buy one and it be not so great and I am reading mixed reviews about ones that seem to look great some say it is other say it isn't. Once I get mine I am free a few days during the week.

So any suggestions on a metal detector for under $300 as I am starting out or are all of those just junk?

-Susan

Greetings from Ogden, Utah

Welcome to the forum. We have an at Pro that works great that was around
$550. From one of the sponsors here. Works great for the price. I am not
Sure on a detector around $300. You may be able to pick up a higher end
Detector used that would work great. Utah is a great place to detect and we
Have found numerous old coins, rings and even a broken top to a Wells Fargo
Strongbox.

Thank You :D

Thank you for the tip on the metal detector as I am of course willing to spend a little bit more but I always value the opinion of those you actually use them locally.

I am always up to drive to go metal detecting once I get mine and I will practice first by burying some of my silver coins and rings I own so I can learn the sounds.

Once I get mine I am available about 3 and a half days during the weekend (working on weekends unfortunately)

Thank you for the recommendation of the metal detector I am looking the Pro up now

-Susan

Wow, I am starting to wonder if everyone is seeing me out there and wanting to get into the hobby. First Sparkie now you. I live in Kearns and work quite a bit myself. I am lucky if I can get out in the evening during the week. I mainly shoot for the mornings on the weekend. Let me know if you want to meet sometime on the weekend and we can make it happen. I am no seasoned professional but it would be fun to get together with some people.

:D

I have always wanted to get into this even as a kid in San Digeo, Cali

I just feel that those who have been doing this for years to decades may have so tips of the trade for someone who has always had passion for it just not the right time/place/ being old enough to work to buy.

I am buying my online tomorrow hopefully the banks are open

-Susan

Hi all!

Sorry for the delayed response - I just changed jobs and have had a really busy couple of weeks.

I went to a park in WVC the other day and found 3 wheatbacks, and some regular copper pennies, and some new silver change. =]

I too have limited time, usually just Saturdays in the day for me, or later in the evenings during the early week.. If anyone wanted to get together on a Saturday morning send me a PM. I'm also willing to drive out of my immediate area.

Sparkie did you end up buying a metal detector? I too used silver to kind of test it. I've yet to buy headphones so I beep loudly hehe..

J-5, I've actually never seen anyone metal detecting in Utah.. I'd love to learn a bit from someone with more experience than myself though, and wonder if you've ever asked owners of old homes for permission? I'm really interested in finding old coins, I've yet to find anything of REAL value (silver/gold) and can't wait to.. from things I've read and YouTube videos I've gotten the impression that old homes can be loaded. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Welcome to the forum. We have an at Pro that works great that was around
$550. From one of the sponsors here. Works great for the price. I am not
Sure on a detector around $300. You may be able to pick up a higher end
Detector used that would work great. Utah is a great place to detect and we
Have found numerous old coins, rings and even a broken top to a Wells Fargo
Strongbox.

Mine was about $300 and is mostly for coins. Testing with silver and other coins I have at various depths it seems to be pretty accurate both identifying the type of coin/metal and the depth.

I still want to get a better one, but I'm going to wait until I actually find something good before doing so.

Most of my lack of success I think is attributed to business/laziness right now, but I'm getting some free time back again and hope to remedy that. =]

i use a bounty hunter and i love it . i got mine for about 280 dollars and i have never had a oproblem with it . i just dont get out because i had surgery and am trying to recover . also i dont have any one that i can go hunting with . it is more fun to go with someone and share your finds than go by ouyrself . anyone game?

Back
Top Bottom