Need detector for finding cache inside or outside old house

Deco

Hey, noobie here with a situation. I have two old houses and their yards I want to sweep. One house has a decent chance of having a hidden cache in a metal container somewhere inside. The former owner was a handyman so it could be in a wall or under floor or insulation, etc. He hid other things in these containers and let someone know there was a particular cache on the property but did not disclose where. I need a detector to sweep the attic, basement, crawl spaces, under stairs, and small areas. I also need to do the outside which is uneven terrain, lots of brush and trees and high mineral soil.

I discovered an old road ran through the yard as well and years ago I dug up a silver locket, heavy gold ring and an arrow head there just doing some light gardening. The area has never been detected. It is not large but could contain some good finds. I'd be willing to do plenty of digging.

I'm particularly concerned about using the detector inside. I was looking at the Garrett Ace 350 with a sniper coil (?) but fear it may be too sensitive and confusing inside going over nails or too awkward to maneuver inside. I just want the best chance of finding a metal box among the construction materials and also something that will work outdoors in possibly finding a buried box or can, as well as possible artifacts and coins in relatively rough terrain. I have no experience at all with metal detecting and cannot break the bank on a purchase, it might be a bust.

I would really appreciate any input, the family is depending on me to at least give this quest a good effort.

The Ace would probably be pretty good for your outdoor work. Although inside I would think that getting a Garrett propointer and using the super tuning technique to get in to tight spots. You could maybe bump down to the ace 250 to free up a little of your budger for the Propointer.

Tesoro Compadre and Pro-Pointer will meet all your needs, guaranteed.:D

I thought that Garrett made a detector that I believe is specifically for inside (looks like a modified stud finder), but a quick search on line didn't turn up anything familiar. I was going to buy one a few years ago but never got around to it. It'd be a lot easier to use than a detector on a 2-3 foot handle, and probable less sensitive so you don't get all the nails/screws/wires etc. that will be in walls. Some old places to look (according to various legends): in the bathroom, if there was a slot cut into the wall for used razor blades, folks dropped coins down the slot for safe keeping. This would require wall demolition. In the basement, if the walls are stone or the floor is dirt, a standard detector would work on either. (I have a dirt floor in part of our basement, but it only yielded toys and trash.) Good luck! Curt

A question I have is how well these detectors, Garrett Ace 250/350 vs. a Tesaro (considering Silver uMax) will deal with distinguishing nails in wall studs vs. other metal like a cache box or gun hidden in wall. Would one of those MDs be superior over the other for just that? What readings/ sounds would they give to make that distinction? And also how a pro pointer will do the same? Sorry, I don't know about super tuning, etc., I'm trying to educate myself, but having never used the equipment it's tough especially since I need it for use indoors.

for supertuning the GPP...

There are several videos on youtube that show how to do it...you might want to find a local md shop as some of them rent various detecters. just my 2cents...GL+HH.....cliff.

I would say super tuning the Pro Pointer would probably be your best bet in a tight attic, just because how small it would be, but you would not be able to disc anything with it. The Tesoro Compadre would be cool and the Fisher F2 just because how amazingly light weight the detectors are. but really you are gonna have a tough time using any detector inside a house especially in tight spots, I would try to get one with a Noise Cancel option though. You could look into the x-terra models from Minelab

Any detector for the most part will just go nuts with all the nails, screws, wiring, and even metal corner protectors under the paint to prevent chips to drywall. Add to this the electrical current in the house and you're detector is pretty much worthless for finding anything specific. You'd be better off just working the house over with a propointer or even a HF metal detecting wand to save $$$. Either of those, in my opinion, would find anything like hidden guns in walls etc. They would just tell you via sound that there is something large and metal in that spot. You'd still have to open the wall to find out what it is. Hope all these replies help you out.

For the inside of house - walls, floors, etc, bring in a blacklight. It will reveal areas that have been replastered, drywalled.

2 cents more

Good suggestions, but you have to opposite needs. Outside you want a strong ground unit with a large coil for depth and coverage. Inside you need a small sniper coil and to turn the sensitivity down until you zero out EMI and environmental overload- turning off the power will help.
Guess what you expect to find and test your machine on targets as close as you can find to see how far it can read it and what it will should like. Very helpful with newbies and new units!
Go slow, overlap swings, hug the ground and walls as close as possible, recheck from 90 degree shift (crisscross) and dig all repeatable signals.
Good luck and HH!
Tom

Back
Top Bottom