(UPDATED) Researching USGS Historical Maps

That is cool stuff. I have much to learn because i have been out of the game for many years. I have one map tip I can share. If you are working with real paper 7.5 1/24,000 topo maps , any dollar bill is exactly a mile for the scale. Turn the bill sideways , short ways..that is exactly a mile on a 7.5 topo.

That is cool stuff. I have much to learn because i have been out of the game for many years. I have one map tip I can share. If you are working with real paper 7.5 1/24,000 topo maps , any dollar bill is exactly a mile for the scale. Turn the bill sideways , short ways..that is exactly a mile on a 7.5 topo.

Thanks for sharing the tip roaddust66

Attachments

• mine symbols.jpg
    mine symbols.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,321
Last edited:
What are the squares that are half black and half white (Diagonal)?
Thought maybe a mine but then I see "x" and think that is mines??

Jim

Jim, I believe I found what you are looking for on symbols. I have attached a picture in another posts in this thread.

Yes thanks again for all your help finding the old homes and school on my bosses property! I can't wait to go hit em

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk

Yes thanks again for all your help finding the old homes and school on my bosses property! I can't wait to go hit em

Yeah CW you gotta love modern technology. Just think about it, I'm 455 miles away in my office and have never been to your location, and yet I can identify an old school site and old house sites just a few hundred yards behind where you work from old maps and give you exact GPS coordinates. Now that's amazing! I believe I am more excited than you to see what you find at those spots. Can't wait to see the posts... pleasssssse find something good! :laughing::laughing:

Yeah CW you gotta love modern technology. Just think about it, I'm 455 miles away in my office and have never been to your location, and yet I can identify an old school site and old house sites just a few hundred yards behind where you work from old maps and give you exact GPS coordinates. Now that's amazing! I believe I am more excited than you to see what you find at those spots. Can't wait to see the posts... pleasssssse find something good! :laughing::laughing:

If the weather allows I hope to hit it wed, you will know I'll text pics of my finds lol

I've been looking for these tools for quite a while and can sure make good use of the links. Thanks for the great post.

AT Pro/Garrett Pro Pointer/Fiskars Diggers/Bounty Hunter Outback/HF Pin Pointer

I've been looking for these tools for quite a while and can sure make good use of the links. Thanks for the great post.

AT Pro/Garrett Pro Pointer/Fiskars Diggers/Bounty Hunter Outback/HF Pin Pointer

You are welcome Sarge. Just passing along things I have learned from others. Hope it helps you locate some productive spots. I will be looking for your posts of finds. Good luck.

Thanks for doing the video and posting it. We all appreciate it a lot. You did an excellent job on it. Happy Holidays !!!

Some of you have sent me PMs that you are having trouble because the USGS Historical Maps list GPS coordinates in Decimals, but when you transfer them to Google Earth they are changed to Degrees, Minutes, Seconds. It appears that this is the default GPS format for Google Earth but it is a simple process to change it. In Google Earth, go to Tools menu and click on Options and in the window that pops up go to Show Lat/Long and click Decimals and then click OK and this convert Google Earth Lat/Long to Decimals. I am including a picture that shows both windows in Google Earth and also a link to my YouTube video that shows the process can be viewed at: http://youtu.be/R4nV2LnVwrA

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• dec.jpg
    dec.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,258
Back
Top Bottom