Try this if your fed up with property owners asking to split the finds

TopPop

I've been doing this for the last 4 years and I've got to say that whenever I've asked to hunt someones property they almost always say something to the effect of "If you find something valuable I want a piece of the action". Some do it in that quasi kidding manner some come across dead serious but ultimately they all get this message across in one way or another:roll:

Now, I used to take the time to explain thats its just a hobby and that really valuable finds are very rare and junk metal is very plentiful. Sometimes it worked and permission was gained, other times my standard speach was meet with skeptism and a few times downright disbelief and premission was denied (One landowner really drove the point home "with do you take me for a fool sir, if there is nothing valuable their then why do you want to look") :roll::roll: Hard to refute such logic:lol::lol:

So I got to thinking :?::?: What could I do in these situations to gain access and quell the disblief.. Then it hit me and I've used this method 3 times this summer with great sucess

Now when I sense the potential for land owner greed I immediately put on my best used car salesman face and convince the land owner to hunt the place with me for a bit and see

This has been a great summer for my new method

First thing I do is pick the hottest part of the day to hunt.

Second thing I do is set the Compadre to all metal mode because after all I tell them you don't want to miss any of the good fine gold jewerly and other treasure that is sure to be here a scant few inches below that nice dry clay, I mean soil :shock::shock::lol::lol:

Then I explain in detail exactly how to do this properly usally takes between 15 and 30 minutes for the "introductry" lesson

Then we hunt after between 30 minutes to 1 hour my new "hunting buddy" is so throughly tired out and loaded down with so much useless trash that they are more then ready to take a break and let me go at it for a bit longer:lol:

Finally and this is the key to my method. Before I leave I make sure to ask them if they are ready to go again tomorrow at the same time;);) After they stammer out whatever lame excuse first comes to mind for being unable to hunt with me:shock: I casually ask "Well would it be Ok if I go by myself":shock:

I'm happy to say that my new system is 3 for 3;)

First let me say I think that is a great idea, and I can definitely see myself trying it. Its a great way to help a landonwer understand the realtiy of what we are doing, and finding.

the part I struggle with though is the idea of landowner greed. And when I say struggle, I mean I am really on the fence, so no offense intended, just food for thought......I have seen the topic of landowner greed mentioned a few times on the forum recently, so I have been giving it some thought. As a MD'er, I feel what I find should be mine, as I have done the research, paid for the equipment, put in all the time and effort, so my recoveries should be mine. BUT...I also wonder, if the roles are reversed, I own my house and the property, and someone asks me permission and I willingly grant it (probably thinking good luck as I have covered every square inch several times). Now the MD'er part of me gets the idea that the person searching should walk away with what they recover, but the homeowner part of me also feels that I own everything on my property, I bought it, it came with the place, its mine whether I know its there or not. Just like radon or a bad septic tank, its mine whether I knew about it or not.....So I also get the sense of entitlement to recoveries also. Its a tough one, I see both sides. I haven't really run across this with a homeowner, but I guess I would be willing to share, or just peacefully walk away if not. In the long run, I guess I am grateful for the opportunity to detect on a private property, and if an owner wants to insist on such terms of having a claim to finds, well, that's cool. They are, in my mind, his anyway. And is he doesn't want any recoveries, well then thats just downright generous and I am grateful for that.....Like I said, on the fence and food for thought.

I really do like your approach!

My first was my last for now....it was great land..hadnt been done and i messed up by telling the owner where id detect first and i know he must have rented a detector and checked it out....thankfully what i didnt know i dont miss.

I have gotten permission for schools and parks and even got the inside for a nice old church...but...when it comes to people its all about me destroying their garden, making holes their kids will fall neck first into and onto pungee sticks :laughing:

This is an old town and i know its going to have some good stuff but the gardens tend to be quaffed and when they spent tens of thousands on their landscaping they are less likely to let me go whack a mole all over it...:laughing:

I think I'll stick to my own method which is to say sure we'll split the pot of Spanish gold, then I go my way (to hunt) and they go their way (back in the house)

:lol:
I think I'll stick to my own method which is to say sure we'll split the pot of Spanish gold, then I go my way (to hunt) and they go their way (back in the house)

Ironpatch,

Wheres the fun in that:lol::lol:

UpstateDigger,

No offense taken. I personally prefer the land owner who simply says no to the one who thinks i'm trying to run off with the family fortune:lol:

To those that posted that they liked my system and would try it please post your experiences in this thread I'm really interested in how well it works for you

Me like!

That being said it does boil down to "fairness" in my book. Im more than willing to share both trash and treasures! I usually get a good "read" on the folks that allow me to detect. If I dont "feel" totally at ease I dont hang out to long. I often do favors for those nice enough to let me detect. I also give them things that might not be "valuable" but are more meaningful to them than myself.

I've been doing this for the last 4 years and I've got to say that whenever I've asked to hunt someones property they almost always say something to the effect of "If you find something valuable I want a piece of the action". Some do it in that quasi kidding manner some come across dead serious but ultimately they all get this message across in one way or another:roll:

Now, I used to take the time to explain thats its just a hobby and that really valuable finds are very rare and junk metal is very plentiful. Sometimes it worked and permission was gained, other times my standard speach was meet with skeptism and a few times downright disbelief and premission was denied (One landowner really drove the point home "with do you take me for a fool sir, if there is nothing valuable their then why do you want to look") :roll::roll: Hard to refute such logic:lol::lol:

So I got to thinking :?::?: What could I do in these situations to gain access and quell the disblief.. Then it hit me and I've used this method 3 times this summer with great sucess

Now when I sense the potential for land owner greed I immediately put on my best used car salesman face and convince the land owner to hunt the place with me for a bit and see

This has been a great summer for my new method

First thing I do is pick the hottest part of the day to hunt.

Second thing I do is set the Compadre to all metal mode because after all I tell them you don't want to miss any of the good fine gold jewerly and other treasure that is sure to be here a scant few inches below that nice dry clay, I mean soil :shock::shock::lol::lol:

Then I explain in detail exactly how to do this properly usally takes between 15 and 30 minutes for the "introductry" lesson

Then we hunt after between 30 minutes to 1 hour my new "hunting buddy" is so throughly tired out and loaded down with so much useless trash that they are more then ready to take a break and let me go at it for a bit longer:lol:

Finally and this is the key to my method. Before I leave I make sure to ask them if they are ready to go again tomorrow at the same time;);) After they stammer out whatever lame excuse first comes to mind for being unable to hunt with me:shock: I casually ask "Well would it be Ok if I go by myself":shock:

I'm happy to say that my new system is 3 for 3;)

so to counteract their greed you show them your greed by not being honest in the way you set up the detector...

so to counteract their greed you show them your greed by not being honest in the way you set up the detector...

Excuse me:wow:

No I set up there detector in the mode that most closely matches what they envision is on their property. And in doing so I provide them with an very realistic demonstration of what this hobby has to offer and what it doesn't.:shock:

Sorry if your think I should portray it in the same glamorous light the cable TV shows do. A little dose of reality is good for all of us:no::no:

If the landowner wants half of the finds to allow you to detect then they are entitled to half of the finds. And not just the trash. You would not get to detect the property at all if they did not give permission, and detecting private property without permission is tresspassing and stealing. Let's face it: half of something is better than nothing. If you cheat someone, then who is the greedy one?
Now, allowing them to detect with you - if they choose to - and putting the detector in all metal mode and letting them dig to their heart's content is OK in my book. We all started out digging trash and it is through persistence that we learn the skills to become proficient. I prefer to detect without discrimination, anyway. They would have every chance of finding something great as any other newbie. How many people buy detectors and then give up in the first 6 months because all they find is junk?
It all boils down to this: Treat others as you would want to be treated. Treat the landowner fairly and they should treat you fairly. Maybe they could even tip you off to another property where the owner lets you have free reign.

If the landowner wants half of the finds to allow you to detect then they are entitled to half of the finds. And not just the trash. You would not get to detect the property at all if they did not give permission, and detecting private property without permission is tresspassing and stealing. Let's face it: half of something is better than nothing. If you cheat someone, then who is the greedy one?
Now, allowing them to detect with you - if they choose to - and putting the detector in all metal mode and letting them dig to their heart's content is OK in my book. We all started out digging trash and it is through persistence that we learn the skills to become proficient. I prefer to detect without discrimination, anyway. They would have every chance of finding something great as any other newbie. How many people buy detectors and then give up in the first 6 months because all they find is junk?
It all boils down to this: Treat others as you would want to be treated. Treat the landowner fairly and they should treat you fairly. Maybe they could even tip you off to another property where the owner lets you have free reign.

in alot of states private property is not illegal to go onto, unless it it marked with no trespassing signs. Just to let you know:yes:

also not to be mean but you seem sort of in a dillusional state when you say if you treat someone nice they will treat you nice! How many times have any of us been treated unfairly for doing nothing wrong at all? I am sure lots, as i know i have been as well. In theory it sounds very nice do unto others, but in reality its do unto others what wont get you into trouble.

I will stick with beerdoodles saying , its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission! lol.

I don't do much private property, but I did ask a Monsignor at a church once and we agreed that we'd split anything of more than nominal value, and I offered that I'd also give him anything with a connection to the church. They asked me back to help them look for a time capsule that had been buried in the 70's (no luck).

This is how I'd set it up with anyone, with the caveat I get dibs on keeping items and handing over half the value. I don't call homeowners asking to split finds "greedy", I call it reasonable. A homeowner demanding all finds I'd call greedy.

I don't understand why some of you think it is unreasonable or greedy of a landowner to be entitled to part of something found on land they pay taxes and insurance on. Like I mentioned in another post, you want to hunt on my land, you shoot only what I say you shoot, I imspect it all, and I get some cuts of meat of my choosing. Don't like my rules, find someplace else to hunt. You're not doing me any favors. I feel the same way about metal detectinb.

Now thats is one great idea. haha funny as hell.

I don't understand why some of you think it is unreasonable or greedy of a landowner to be entitled to part of something found on land they pay taxes and insurance on. Like I mentioned in another post, you want to hunt on my land, you shoot only what I say you shoot, I imspect it all, and I get some cuts of meat of my choosing. Don't like my rules, find someplace else to hunt. You're not doing me any favors. I feel the same way about metal detectinb.

Exactly

:lol:

Ironpatch,

Wheres the fun in that:lol::lol:

The fun is the hunt and getting to keep all the finds! I don't like playing one for you, one for me! :yes:

Attachments

• revb.jpg
    revb.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,384
  • zzSpan.jpg
    zzSpan.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,297
Back
Top Bottom