My Oldest found coin!!!!

IBMer

I haven't been out with my metal detector in years, but MAY have found my oldest coin ever. Actually, I dug this in a very small town in North Carolina, in land known to have experienced a battle.

When I found it some 10 years ago, I thought to my self, Huh, looks like a pendant with Jewish symbols on it and tossed it into my goody bag. Saturday, I was looking through some of my less than spectacular finds and noticed this pendant. I started picking at it with my nail and found an upside down date. It says 1329.. Yeah, right that can't be a date. Besides the date is mounted upside down on the pendant. I then noticed that this item did not have they usual tarnish, rush and patina of items found in North Carolina soil.

People used to mount a lot of coins to chains as FOBs or good luck necklaces. I looked on ebay and started finding coins from the 14th century. I came across several that looked like my item. They were from the ancient Ottoman and Arab empires.

It appears that I found an Arabic, or Ottoman coin dated 1329, in a little know civil war battlefield. Boy would I love to know how it ended up there. Technically, my oldest coin ever found.

Attachments

• oldcoin.jpg
    oldcoin.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 490
  • coldcoin2.jpg
    coldcoin2.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 475
That definitely doesn't look like silver........and that coin I believe would be way too old to be found in North Carolina...let alone America.

Probably a fake or something . Cool find nonetheless

Ok, it's not the oldest coin I've ever found.. But still interesting... I did more web searches and found that this is a Moroccan Rial, the 1329 date is according to the Islamic calendar. Comes out to be 1902 Christian Date. I knew that the Islamic calendar was different, but one can always dream that they found a 14th century coin ;-) If it's real, it should be very low grade silver, but could very well be a replica. Looks like my Large Cents are still my oldest coins found.

Hey that is still a cool find. And welcome back to the hobby and welcome to the forum!! :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom