Old road beds?

sailormike

Has anyone had any luck hunting olong old abandoned roads? Near my place here in NE Georgia I have a couple road beds that have been making me curious. I know that they were just single lane dirt roads that were abandoned in the early 1950's when they started construction on Lake Lanier. These 2 spots close to me would be very dificult to hunt because of 60 years of growth, so does anyone think it is worth a shot??

I have only tried one, same situation, Lake came through so they closed the road. I didn't find much of anything but trash. You never know tho and I have thought about going back out there this spring when overgrowth isn't as bad.

You just never know. If you try and do not find anything then you are no worse off than before, and if you do find something then you are ahead. I would rather be safe than sorry and search it, at least for a little while.

I detected some old fire access roads before that were used in the 70's and found a handful of clad and a lot of garbage. :roll:

I've been digging up either an old road or old driveway and finding lot's of stuff...I say either one because I recently noticed that it extends much further than it appeared at first. Here are a few of the finds:

Attachments

• IMG_2089.jpg
    IMG_2089.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,352
  • IMG_2096.jpg
    IMG_2096.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,398
  • IMG_2098.jpg
    IMG_2098.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,379
  • IMG_2116.jpg
    IMG_2116.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,370
  • IMG_2124.jpg
    IMG_2124.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,372
to add to that is it o.k. to search rest stops and the sides of interstates/freeways.
i have in laws that work for cal trans and you would be amazed what they find at these ares, they don't md though.
GL2U

thanks

Guess I'm going to have to give it a shot. Like was said "you just never know" maybe the old Wells Fargo wagon used this road and hopefully it was littered with potholes....
Ill let ya know

I found a few old coins (buff/indian/merc), a model T key, schrader valve covers and Hudson hubcap at abandoned roads this summer. Mostly lead tire weights and other garbage. But I do plan on going back for another hunt.

Just read a article here last week and found out they had a running Stage coach running around my area here in Florida... Anything is possible... I have dug a Old road and found screw drivers in the road and odd metal of some sort but nothing like the post above with the pictures...

Give it a Shot!!

Merry Christmas!!:santa:

I love hunting old roads....Around here you can always spot them because the are narrow and have rock borders, all the better if they have been abandoned for a long time, less modern garbage....

I think I commented on this once or posted a tread. I was planning on searching the road side on a highway out of town. My thoughts are people ahve over the years had breakdowns and may have got under the vehicle to fix a hanging muffler and lost some change or other things in their pockets. But I alson know all kinds of scrap metal falls off vehicles and is at the roadside. I think the woods and fields is a much better source of hunting area from all the years of people having done things there. I believe woods could have been a field long ago and a field could have been a woods. Main thing is hunters and farmers along with settlers lost things or tossed things. Way out there its less likely you will have all the foil you have in a park or home site.
M6 Mike
I have viewed video of field hunts resulting in coins and woods hunts with finds of coins , jewlery, bullets , shells and other things. Its out there find it.

Back
Top Bottom