that was weird....(F2)

caheaton

Was using the F2 today at my favorite spot and picked up a quarter signal (both left to right and up / down). Depth showed it to be at around 2 to 4 inches. Depth was correct (about 3"), but was a bit surprised to find a penny in there instead! (sadly, just a boring 1974 memorial cent). Never had that happen before....

Perhaps the coin was near some large iron (place is riddled with it and other trash) that messed with the signal? Checked, no other coins in the hole, but didn't think to check with the discrimination off (had it set to block iron and foil, detector at max sensitivity).

Copper pennies usually ring up as dimes (68-74) on the Fisher machines. Although, just today I found a wheat penny at a depth of 8 inches and it too rang up as a quarter (82). I was using my F70 on this hunt.

My advice to you is to not get discouraged, but instead pay close attention to your machine and what it is telling you. You'll have a ton of fun with it, trust me. One more bit of advice, be sure to read posts by fellow member DIGGER27, he posts a lot of valuable information for the Fisher machines.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Up averaging....Fishers do that around other metals especially iron even the F2 to some extent.
Most any will if there was something else around causing this, maybe a deep can or something else in the high conductive range.
Rusty iron deeper that you didn't check for could have done it, whatever it was didn't even need to be in that hole or even under the coil...just near it if your disc was high enough.
My soil does it on all targets past 3" because there is so much iron in it.
First time I noticed it was with the F2 on a nickel at about 4" that came in at the 50's and that confused me at the time.
So under the right conditions...normal.

Last edited:
Most likely a nearby target, possibly even large iron beside the hole.

Many times if I am searching for a specific tone and pull a target that is a diff tone, I know that's not what I was hitting on and if I investigate further and find what I actually heard.

I have a different detector but I have had a few times where pennies read and sounded exactly like quarters and believe it or not times quarters presented exactly like pennies. Its not very often but it does happen. There are so many variables with the soil and possible nearby objects that it would be impossible for the detector to account for every one , its almost miraculous that they are correct as often as they are. Usually the trained ear can tell a difference ,...a hint the target may not be what it seems , but not always.

We have an idiot who digs large holes with a large shovel and does a lousy job of refilling them. I found one that he had dug the other day. It was about a foot and a half across. I don't know if he found anything but I found a quarter about five inches from where he had dug.

We have an idiot who digs large holes with a large shovel and does a lousy job of refilling them. I found one that he had dug the other day. It was about a foot and a half across. I don't know if he found anything but I found a quarter about five inches from where he had dug.

He's digging holes 18" across?? :shock::no:

I don't think he knows how to pinpoint a find. I don't know who is doing it but if I find out he's going to hear from me.

If you do run into the fellow/gal, turn it into a teachable moment. He/she obviously does not know how to pinpoint a target and/or dig a plug. If it were me I would welcome some advice on how to be better at my hobby. He/She may be self taught and has not found a good website and/or a mentor in the hobby.

If you do run into the fellow/gal, turn it into a teachable moment. He/she obviously does not know how to pinpoint a target and/or dig a plug. If it were me I would welcome some advice on how to be better at my hobby. He/She may be self taught and has not found a good website and/or a mentor in the hobby.

I ran into a couple who had received a cheap detector for Christmas last year. I followed them by the large holes that they had dug. He detected while she dug with a large shovel. I tried to show them how to pinpoint a find and told them that they needed to get something smaller to dig with and to properly fill their holes. They said they would and that they had never detected before. I tried to explain that their actions reflected on everyone in they hobby. A few says later I found that they had been back and hadn't learned anything. I ran into a guy in another park with a large shovel and what looked like some sort of an old Bounty Hunter detector. It was missing a battery door and the arm cuff was held on by duct tape. I asked him how long he had been detecting and he said a couple of years. Long enough to learn how to properly detect. While I was there he did a fairly good job of filling his holes but he left soon afterwards. Looking around the park it was plain to see that if no one was watching he didn't care any more about filling holes than he did about taking care of his detector. Some people just don't care. They figure that rules don't apply to them. Lately I think I spend more time fixing other peoples holes than I do detecting.

I find that when running high sensitivity, shallow cents and dimes will sometimes read as quarters, especially if you're not centered over the target. Of course I use a different detector, so this may be different with yours.

Back
Top Bottom