Another DIY Electrolysis

coin pirate

Forum Supporter
I've seen many video's and some here on the forum, this is actually super easy to do, and not costly to make.

First item, power supply, I choose to use a 12v supply I happened to have had for a very long time, usually use this when I'm testing car stereo setups or used radios.
picture.php

Now not everyone has one of these laying around or wants to spend a bunch of money, and, a 12v supply can work with faster results rather than the cheapo phone chargers people have been trying to make these with....solution, free or cheap 12v desktop computer power supply
picture.php

I mean 12 bucks and free shipping, or you may see somebody giving away an old computer, or free/cheap on Craigslist.
This is an awesome power supply to use for 2 reasons, it has a second usage, it can also be used to power a DIY printer Tumbler(another DIY I'll share in the near future.) and you can do both simultaneously if wanted.
(also-computer power supply's have fans to prevent heating up over prolonged usage, another plus!!)

A lot of people ask, seems to be the most common question out there, why doesn't mine work???? Insufficient power supply second to poor solution, which is the next item.
Solution, stay away from table salt, use baking soda, and water makes a weak solution as well, use white vinegar, people whom have had problems in the past, add acid, guess what, vinegar is acidic and safe.
Get a small plastic bowl, fill enough vinegar to cover probe and coin, add 2 heaping tablespoons of vinegar.......
picture.php

:laughing::laughing::laughing:
ok, I'll stop you there, add the baking soda into the vinegar, about a teaspoon at a time mixing each till bubbles goes away, I couldn't be mean, dumping in all at once and you have your 3rd grade science project volcano all over your wifes table...ouch.

next, do not use stainless steel as probe, I used a nail, cheap and replaceable for nearly nothing, positive lead goes on nail, negative lead goes on coin, keep them as close as possible without touching.
picture.php

side notes
positive is red lead negative is black, or when using computer power supply, yellow is positive, black is negative, and on computer power supply, the 24pin connector has a green wire, jumper that also to a black wire, any of them, the computer mother board normally does this.
Also, don't be to concerned if the positive side bubbles as well some, mine does, usually it's a sign of having the leads backwards, but in this case, it's just the power and solution combination, possibly with a little rust on nail or alligator clip.

I will add more to this thread, utilizing a computer power supply, and test a few phone chargers. This setup should be able to be made anywhere from free to just under 20bucks.

also, craigslist is a good supply for older out of date nobody wants desktop computers having anywhere from a 250 to 900 watt power supply, also, good source for free printers as well, I'm told cannon's work best for tumblers, but any can be made to work.

more to follow

Mods, if you like....please sticky, actually, maybe all my DIY's can be grouped into one sticky

Back
Top Bottom