Plug digger!

Nice idea. But you better be very good at pinpointing or you will have two side by side. Hard dirt also comes to mind. If the dirt is dry it won't work either.

Lots of mentions of these on the forum over the last few years.
Also lots of mentions that most don't use them for a lot of reasons.
In good black soil that is moist it might work ok, in dry conditions, high clay content, high sand content or areas with lots of thick roots it would be useless.
It will separate the roots completely which might kill the grass in the plug and unless you are right on with your pinpointing you could easily scratch up a nice coin or ring.
You got lots of great answers in your other thread about dying plugs so forget this and learn from that one.

What d27 said...

Lots of mentions of these on the forum over the last few years.
Also lots of mentions that most don't use them for a lot of reasons.
In good black soil that is moist it might work ok, in dry conditions, high clay content, high sand content or areas with lots of thick roots it would be useless.
It will separate the roots completely which might kill the grass in the plug and unless you are right on with your pinpointing you could easily scratch up a nice coin or ring.
You got lots of great answers in your other thread about dying plugs so forget this and learn from that one.

:yes:

I figure it would probably attract more attention than what it's worth too. Real hard dry dirt in Texas too, so I doubt it would help much there also. Just trying to think of a way to begin plugging and not leave such a mess. I guess I'll do the lay down the rag trick to get all the dirt back in the hole. That and practice digging the hinge plug from 3 sides and folding it over. Looks like I need a better Lesche to help too. Broke the cheap composite one that came with the detector already and a dollar store digger too. Got to have the proper equipment for the right job, if the coin popping doesn't get it first!

I figure it would probably attract more attention than what it's worth too. Real hard dry dirt in Texas too, so I doubt it would help much there also. Just trying to think of a way to begin plugging and not leave such a mess. I guess I'll do the lay down the rag trick to get all the dirt back in the hole. That and practice digging the hinge plug from 3 sides and folding it over. Looks like I need a better Lesche to help too. Broke the cheap composite one that came with the detector already and a dollar store digger too. Got to have the proper equipment for the right job, if the coin popping doesn't get it first!

Get a Sampson 31 inch T Handle Serrated... it'll be the best $55 or so that you'll spend on the hobby!

564C60F3-C650-4B39-B0B3-9B055AAFFB55_zps5goc04qa.jpg

Get a Sampson 31 inch T Handle Serrated... it'll be the best $55 or so that you'll spend on the hobby!

564C60F3-C650-4B39-B0B3-9B055AAFFB55_zps5goc04qa.jpg

Ahhhhh! Thank you! Someone posted a pic of theirs on another thread and I was wondering what brand and how to get it. Said it makes an excellent detector holder too for when you need a break. Mine's already getting dirty from setting it on the ground while sifting for the find. Now I can find it easy! Appreciate that!!!

I remember the DVD that came with the White's M6 (8 years ago) showed Jimmy Sierra using one of those plug cutters in a park. He had a good signal, shoved the cutter down about 5-6 inches and when he pulled it out had a Franklin half right on the bottom undamaged. I don't have that much confidence in my pinpointing.

Nay!!
As others have mentioned...

Seems like it will only work in the most ideal of ground conditions
plug is FAR too small and nearly certain to die

also...
very attention grabby
too many moving parts

Back
Top Bottom