Pin pointer advise

luked

I am in need of a pointer.
I have looked and watched videos over and over again and can't make up my mind which of 2 to go with.
The Garrett AT
Or the whites trx
I like features on both I like that the trx just points off the tip
But I like the AT that it has the scraper blade and better light
Just can't decide

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I just went with the TRX because of the tip only pinpointing. I have had the Garrett with tip and all 360 degree side sensitivity and I switched for the TRX tip only because how many times has a target been in the side wall of the hole and the garrett beeps like it is still deeper down in the bottom and the wasted digging by not pinpointing the target. Both the Carrot and the new TRX are water proof to 10 feet. However, the TRX has extreme distance when in the high sensitivity mode (has four modes). But what is nice is the ratchet down button when zeroing in on targets. I will give this a run to see if I really like it !

I have both. Have had the Garrett for probably 4 years, no problems at all. Have had the TRX maybe 3. Haven't used it as much. Both are excellent in my opinion but are defiantly different. The TRX does have a little better range and is more sensitive, but the sound that emits from it is almost unable to be heard in my opinion, especially if there is a little wind blowing. . The Garrett sings much louder. I do find the Garrett easier to turn on an off. Neither is hard, but the button on the TRX requires you hold it a little longer. Seems kind of insignificant to say that, but I can get the Garrett out, and for me, it is easier to turn on and off. Either one is an excellent pin pointer. I guess I like the simplicity of the Garrett more. The ratcheting feature on the TRX is nice, but I personally have not really found the need to use it much. I dig the hole, pinpoint the target, and recover it. To me I don't see a need on most targets to keep hitting the button to ratchet it down etc.

I think it is like the ongoing Ford Chevy argument. It's a matter of personal taste. Some people like chocolate ice cream, some vanilla. That's why they make different flavors. As far as actually locating the object, I honestly do not find one better than the other. They are both excellent and will greatly reduce your time digging. HH

Seems kind of insignificant to say that, but I can get the Garrett out, and for me, it is easier to turn on and off.

I guess I like the simplicity of the Garrett more.

I dig the hole, pinpoint the target, and recover it. To me I don't see a need on most targets to keep hitting the button to ratchet it down etc.

I agree with Elbie.............Simplicity ! Dig the hole, Pull out the pointer, Turn it on, Point the target, Turn it off !

Why would I want to have to think about what setting to use, on my pin-pointer (?) I just want it on, or I want it off, and I don't want to have to think about "how" to turn it on, or what setting it's on. It's a pointer, not a metal detector. :lol: Keep it simple.....

And, the old original Garrett Pro-pointers, they can be de-tuned, should you find that kind of thing desirable. I've done it before, just as a test, but have never done it in the field. It's just not a real necessity. Just ON, or OFF........ (but that's just my $0.02)

Last edited:
I use a TRX and prefer it because, as others have said, it pinpoints off of the tip. I find this preferable to the Garrett. I also like that it has four levels of sensitivity, although I rarely use it at max sensitivity. The brightness of the light to me is a non issue. If I hunt at night (which I rarely do) I use a headlamp. My $0.02

I use a TRX and prefer it because, as others have said, it pinpoints off of the tip. I find this preferable to the Garrett. I also like that it has four levels of sensitivity, although I rarely use it at max sensitivity. The brightness of the light to me is a non issue. If I hunt at night (which I rarely do) I use a headlamp. My $0.02

Heard that !

Hey - Idea ! If everyone here, would just give "luked" their $0.02, he'd soon have enough to buy the pointer of his choice. We're already up to $0.04 :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Carrot

Been good to me........

Attachments

• PHIL.jpg
    PHIL.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 428
I have a carrot and Pro Pointer II, don't play in the water, prefer the II just because of quick on/off, and put tape over the spkr hole to muffle the sound

Tip only slows me down after the hole is dug, and then slows me down again after the target is in the pile of dirt. I do carry the TRX at the same time with the Carrot for pre dig detection. Both pointers ratchet down so fast...I run both the TRX and Carrot at full sens.

Tip only detection's cycle time gets laggy while trying to point that flashlight beam after in the hole, unless you always get a very good PP with the detector.

Carrot gets my vote. Oh, another feature between the two is speaker loudness. The TRX has me removing my HPs most digs to hear the thing. Garretts pleases me with it's loudness. I'm not a "tape over the speaker" guy...last thing you'll find me ever doing.

I tried the TRX, but I missed being able to side scan the dirt on my towel. I think it's pretty personal choice then, but most everyone agrees the Garrett Carrot and TRX are the best two.

I bought the TRX last week and got it the first part of this week from Jeff at Quality Metal Detectors. Haven't used it yet as we have been getting pounder with rain hail and a few scattered tornados. Feel like I'm living in Oklahoma woth these storms.
Hopefully I'll be able to get out for a while this weekend. Got permission on a house built back in the 1850s I'm wanting to try out

I bought the TRX last week and got it the first part of this week from Jeff at Quality Metal Detectors. Haven't used it yet as we have been getting pounder with rain hail and a few scattered tornados. Feel like I'm living in Oklahoma woth these storms.
Hopefully I'll be able to get out for a while this weekend. Got permission on a house built back in the 1850s I'm wanting to try out

Congrats , now give us your opinion after a few hundred digs , Good Luck
HH

Carrot Vs. TRX

I have both pin pointers. Both are very good.
The Carrot fills more solid than the TRX.
The TRX will pin point deeper than the Carrot in the dirt.
I also have the Garrett AT Pro and an XP Deus. When I am out with the XP I use the Carrot. It does not cause chatter on the XP. The TRX does.
I cannot even use the TRX with the XP in the 12 KZ mode because it causes the TRX to freak out when I turn it on.

Luked,

I've been studying the specs. and features for the Garrett Pro 2, AT and White's TRX and have also read this entire 3 page thread. I plan to go with the Garrett AT myself and aside from a few, most others seem to favor it too.

One other point is you save $22.49 (TRX $149.95 - AT $127.46).

Good luck, whichever one you decide on. ;)

ToddB64

Back
Top Bottom