Wrong to be mad? 59' Franklin

XXJIMBOXX

Went out hunting today with Rivgum went to a big park not so much luck then went to a smaller park. The hunt was coming to its end and I almost called it quits, and had to Pee real bad. Then it hit, the dreaded 90 signal...I figured it was a rusty something, deep... checked it with iron audio, clear as sunshine? I figured maybe two clad quarters stuck together maybe.. Got out the digger and found this ...... A 1959 Benjamin Franklin 90%er FRESH DROP, just tangled at the bottom of the grass just barley not visible!!??? Is it WRONG for me to be mad that ive dug thousands and thousands of holes looking for this to be ... awww maybe at least a couple inches down, at least! I got frustrated an happy at the same time didn't even take a picture of it in the grass. Butt I found it, from what I can figure it was someone's not so lucky coin, or taken from someone's collection and dropped at the park...

Attachments

• photo (10).JPG
    photo (10).JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 2,032
"Dreaded 90 signal" :?: ???

I love 90 signals, although I would think 92-93 for that guy...

Nice work!!

<°)))>{

It just seems like every time I get a 90 I end up digging a foot and half for iron.. I guess it is wrong to be mad. :yes:

I found a silver Q like that last Summer myself..barely under the roots..maybe an inch deep....so I dont know...fresh drop or somehow got to the surface on its own? Theres a lot of moles in this one park where I found that Q...

Nice score on that BF Half!
Mud

Silver is silver any way you get it. And a dropped coin is still a dropped coin to be found by a detectorist, no matter how long ago it was dropped! It most certainly still counts!! Congrats :D

No reason to be upset about that... if you weren't at the park metal detecting you would have never found it...therefore its a great find!

I would be just as happy to find that sitting in the parking lot as I would 8" down. Of course the latter would be a better story. Nice find!

If you wouldn't have found it, someone else would have. I have found several silver dimes practically on the surface, but never a half dollar.

Man, I have to admit I thought you found gold when you called me over, never would have thought silver at the surface!! Again nice find, that made the day!

Congratulations on a great find.
I was hunting clad last year, got a loud signal, jabbed my screw driver into the ground about two inches and out popped a walking liberty half. Didn't bother me one bit.

Went out hunting today with Rivgum went to a big park not so much luck then went to a smaller park. The hunt was coming to its end and I almost called it quits, and had to Pee real bad. Then it hit, the dreaded 90 signal...I figured it was a rusty something, deep... checked it with iron audio, clear as sunshine? I figured maybe two clad quarters stuck together maybe.. Got out the digger and found this ...... A 1959 Benjamin Franklin 90%er FRESH DROP, just tangled at the bottom of the grass just barley not visible!!??? Is it WRONG for me to be mad that ive dug thousands and thousands of holes looking for this to be ... awww maybe at least a couple inches down, at least! I got frustrated an happy at the same time didn't even take a picture of it in the grass. Butt I found it, from what I can figure it was someone's not so lucky coin, or taken from someone's collection and dropped at the park...

Congrats on the Franklin none the less. It has eluded me so far and I have yet to dig one....I gues you can't say you dug it either though!:lol: either way congrats!

I'd rather be lucky than experienced. :lol:

Thanks for that song crackerjack...... Now I have it stuck in my head today at work!:lol: If.....I......was......

Last edited:
Is it possible that coin was part of a detecting club's hunt and no one found it? Years ago I belonged to a club and I know some hunt targets were left in/on the ground.

I wouldn't worry how the coin made it's way onto the ground. The fact that you found it and saved it from sitting there for years, if not decades is a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom