Cleaning iron relics without electrolysis or evapo-rust?

Cleaning iron/rust

When you first remove a rusted artifact from the ground, if there is a thick amount of rust on it, you can soak it down with water from a spigot, and then hit it lightly with a hammer. Often the rust scale will literally fly off. But remember, the best way to remove oxidation, drive out damaging salts, and actually reclaim some of the iron which is migrating as it oxidizes, is to do ELECTROLYSIS. And it's a lot easier than most people realize. I can post some directions on how to make your own electrolysis tank if people are interested.
ABOVE ALL, DO NOT USE CHEMICALS. IRON AND OTHER METALS ARE ACTUALLY SOMEWHAT POROUS, AND YOU CAN SATURATE YOUR ARTIFACT WITH ACIDS THAT WILL SLOWLY DESTROY THE ARTIFACT OVER TIME. The worst is OSPHO, which is Phosphoric Acid. It might be good for removing rust from automobile bodies, but it is no good for cleaning artifacts. AND DON'T ENCASE IT IN PLASTIC, EITHER! YOU WILL LOCK IN MOISTURE, AND YOUR ARTIFACT WILL DETERIORATE QUICKLY UNTIL IT IS A PILE OF RUSTY PLASTIC CHUNKS.

I'll second that. Electrolysis is easy, safe, and effective. If you are nervous about it, start on a small object. You'll see it's no big deal. The only byproduct is Oxygen and Hydrogen, so make sure you ventilate. I've cleaned hundreds and hundreds of coins and objects safely.

When you are done, I recommend baking the object for about an hour at 200degrees, (to dry it out), then sealing with beeswax or butchers wax. Both of these are reversible whereas spraying with poly isn't.

Dougell1

:
When you first remove a rusted artifact from the ground, if there is a thick amount of rust on it, you can soak it down with water from a spigot, and then hit it lightly with a hammer. Often the rust scale will literally fly off. But remember, the best way to remove oxidation, drive out damaging salts, and actually reclaim some of the iron which is migrating as it oxidizes, is to do ELECTROLYSIS. And it's a lot easier than most people realize. I can post some directions on how to make your own electrolysis tank if people are interested.
ABOVE ALL, DO NOT USE CHEMICALS. IRON AND OTHER METALS ARE ACTUALLY SOMEWHAT POROUS, AND YOU CAN SATURATE YOUR ARTIFACT WITH ACIDS THAT WILL SLOWLY DESTROY THE ARTIFACT OVER TIME. The worst is OSPHO, which is Phosphoric Acid. It might be good for removing rust from automobile bodies, but it is no good for cleaning artifacts. AND DON'T ENCASE IT IN PLASTIC, EITHER! YOU WILL LOCK IN MOISTURE, AND YOUR ARTIFACT WILL DETERIORATE QUICKLY UNTIL IT IS A PILE OF RUSTY PLASTIC CHUNKS.
I would like to learn how to do electrolysis. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom