Etrac small coil advice part 2

dumbdigger

Elite Member
Wanted an opinion on the best coil for separation. Or is every small coil about equal do to the (see through) tech of the Etrac?

I have the 8x6 SEF just have not used it enough to comment on it. Seen the Detech 6" Eq2 coil for just over $100 new. Thought its good enough deal to give it a shot. Just wanted the best separating coil.

Thanks
HH DD

Wanted an opinion on the best coil for separation. Or is every small coil about equal do to the (see through) tech of the Etrac?

I have the 8x6 SEF just have not used it enough to comment on it. Seen the Detech 6" Eq2 coil for just over $100 new. Thought its good enough deal to give it a shot. Just wanted the best separating coil.

Thanks

HH DD

I use the 8x6 SEF on my etrac, seems to work well for me;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

opinion

8x6 sef is best, i had the EQ lacks depth, never tried the Sunray, but the 8x6 I determined is all i need, if you need more separation- and even more depth , go with the F75se with the 5 inch coil, nothing has beat it yet, in my lineup, happy hunting, Earl

8x6 sef is best, i had the EQ lacks depth, never tried the Sunray, but the 8x6 I determined is all i need, if you need more separation- and even more depth , go with the F75se with the 5 inch coil, nothing has beat it yet, in my lineup, happy hunting, Earl

I like the Coiltek 10X5 joey but the SEF 6X8 is very good as well. I have used both. Just do not set your Sensitivity too high.

Thing to remember is that most of these are DD coils so only the small center over lapping part is sweeping the ground. While the SEF 6X8 is a really good small coil that has better than normal depth, it does not cover much ground. This is why I lean more to the 10X5 joey.

I can't speak to those other coils, but I DO have the EQ2 and it works very well in the trashy areas I hunt. It certainly doesn't have the depth of the Pro Coil, but then its HALF the size of the Pro. I have pulled dimes with it at 7 and 8 inches and don't feel handicapped at all using it. I also have the NEL Sharpshooter as well, and I believe that on coin sized targets it will come close to the Pro coil with the EQ2 not very far behind that.

The Fe/Co numbers are dead on what I get with the Sharpshooter and the Pro on targets at depth (actually, I think the numbers were MORE stable on the targets that I tested when using the EQ2 over the Pro), when I did a coil test in the field out back of the RV park I live in.

That's a good price, I paid $75 for a gently used EQ2 shipped to me. If you have $100 to spend, then get it. Will it work better than the SEF? I don't know but I suspect they will be very close in performance...

DD, I'll add my two cents. I have quite a collection of Etrac coils, including the 8x6 SEF, and the Sunray X-5. Both are excellent at seperation in the iron laden yards I frequently hunt. But I really believe the Detech SEF separates just as well as the smaller X-5. I haven't noticed any measurable difference. I can cover more ground with the 8X6 and nothing is more daunting than trying to hunt with a hockey puck sized coil. Not trying to dissuade you, heck as a coil addict enabling others only helps me rationalize my other purchases! But you really can't beat the 8X6 (in my humble opinion for the areas I hunt).

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom