Elliptical coils v/s round DD coils

does elliptical provide better depth with comparable separation?

So I've seen just a very few elliptical concentric so I'm assuming you mead round DD to eliptical DD, correct?

If that's the case, I've never seen data or claims on one being deeper than the other. And since the signal is transmitted down a straight line with the same type of system, I would think would be very similar. Agin never seen any data on either the design of elipitical round or even butterfly, style and I'm guessing if one would have been statistically deeper, someone would be promoting it.

Ellipticals are depth limited by their width, and separation limited by their length.
A 5x10" Elliptical will only go about as deep as a 6" round, yet will not separate any better than a 10".

I would assume elliptical coils could not hit as deep as round coils because the median field of detection is not a full arch under the coil as compared to round. It probably is not a significant depth on small or medium coils though, where as large coils are made specifically to reach deeper. The elliptical will have better seperation just by design of being smaller than a round.

I get better separation with my elliptical 6x10 than I do with my 10DD. It may not go as deep, but I have pulled a quarter at 10" with it, so I am not concerned about the differences in depth.

Another advantage is that the elliptical coils are lighter (Unless it is a super huge elliptical) which makes for easier long days of hunting. I also like how they pinpoint. Just slide backwards until you lose the signal and the target is right at the nose. Turn 90 degrees, repeat. Dig. Very easy.

The elliptical will have better seperation just by design of being smaller than a round.
Separation isn't just side-to-side, it's heel-to-toe. A 10" elliptical DD has just as long a detection field as a 10" round DD, so any difference in separation wouldn't justify the loss of depth.

Separation isn't just side-to-side, it's heel-to-toe. A 10" elliptical DD has just as long a detection field as a 10" round DD, so any difference in separation wouldn't justify the loss of depth.

I understand that because both coils are the same length (presumedly). But the smaller width of the elliptical would give better seperation over a round coil swinging side to side just because of the smaller detected area.

If the coils are both the exact same length, you *should* in theory not lose any depth using an elliptical vs round because the same length will have the same detecting arch under the coil. Except, the width of the elliptical is shorter than round, so that detecting arch will be smaller widthwise vs a round, hence better seperation on the elliiptical because less square area is being detected than the round. The round coil will detect more square area of dirt for target but not seperate as well as an elliptical. If you cover your areas very efficiently while gridding, there should be no difference in area covered by either then, resulting in just better seperation with the elliptical since that is what it is designed to do. That really is the only advantage, besides it may be lighter to swing like mentioned by BCK.

Last edited:
Your coil isn't capable of distinguishing between side-to-side and heel-to-toe with respect to the transmit/receive field. It is all one, so any part that is reduced will have an effect on all. If the field is tighter side-to-side, then there is also a loss of depth.

To answer the OP's question, you will not see better depth with an elliptical DD than with a comparable size round DD.

I always have found the round widescan coils will give better depth than an elliptical of the same size.
Compare a joey coil(elliptical) and minelabs own coils(round) of this size(they make two) and both of the minelabs will hit deeper targets then the joey will.
Theres less of a footprint with the joey so I would say it has better separation and its lighter than a comparable sized round coil.
I think we would see more elipticals if their depths equaled the round coils of the same size.
This has been my experience.

Back
Top Bottom