Garret carrot question

YAHOO!:woohoo: My carrot arrived, and I have already recouped $.22 of my investment. I found two Rosies and two Lincolns. The rosies were 1975 and 1980. The two Lincolns were 1964. All found in my own back yard.

So far I love the carrot. Not even close to my Centech/Harbor Freight PP.

Thanks so much for helping me decide.

Tom

YAHOO!:woohoo: My carrot arrived, and I have already recouped $.22 of my investment. I found two Rosies and two Lincolns. The rosies were 1975 and 1980. The two Lincolns were 1964. All found in my own back yard.

So far I love the carrot. Not even close to my Centech/Harbor Freight PP.

Thanks so much for helping me decide.

Tom

tomcat141,

I guess you might know that your two Lincoln Memorials are coppers (not zincers).

The mints continued making coppers part-way into 1982 and then switched to zinc blanks. These zinc blanks are processed into planchets, struck and then clad with a thin .008" layer of pure copper.

Minerals in the soil eventually eat through the thin copper cladding and continue chewing away at the zinc planchet , giving rise to the comment "that penny is ate up !".

OK, since Lincoln cents dated 1982 could be coppers or zincers, there are a few ways to keep them separate if you want. Initial indicator: a dug '82 or pre-'82 copper has a nice patina, usually a light-brown matt finish after cleaning with water. My final determination for '82 Lincolns is to weigh them on a little electronic pocket scale having modes for Gram(g), Grain(gn), Carat(ct),Pennyweight(dwt) and for slightly more pricey pocket scales you also get Ounce(oz) mode, if you want that.

Lincoln Memorial coppers weigh 3.1 grams and zincers 2.5 grams, and this is after cleaning with water and perhaps a soft toothbrush for accurate weight.

The above information gives you some brief basics and if you want more detail, it's available in various coin books. I happen to have an edition of the Official Red Book of US coins and Strike It Rich With Pocket Change, by Brian Allen & Ken Potter that deals with error coins, mis-strikes, etc.. Also, if you are interested in error coins, I suggest you invest in a good quality eye loupe of around 10X magnification.

Congratulations on your new carrot and coin finds !

Todd

There

You go, don't forget to dress it up a tad, Earl

Attachments

• P1000684.JPG
    P1000684.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 221
Have used the Carrot for a month.... Same experiences here regarding low battery instability. However, its been working very well and I haven't experienced that "pressure faulting" that used to occur the with regular PP.
On Friday I dug a 6 inch plug and couldn't pin point a target...pressed it hard into the corner of the hole and started slow beep. I thought..."falsing"??....took out another 2 inch area and out popped a 1752 KGII......:D....so far so good on the Carrot!

tomcat141,

I guess you might know that your two Lincoln Memorials are coppers (not zincers).

The mints continued making coppers part-way into 1982 and then switched to zinc blanks. These zinc blanks are processed into planchets, struck and then clad with a thin .008" layer of pure copper.

Minerals in the soil eventually eat through the thin copper cladding and continue chewing away at the zinc planchet , giving rise to the comment "that penny is ate up !".

OK, since Lincoln cents dated 1982 could be coppers or zincers, there are a few ways to keep them separate if you want. Initial indicator: a dug '82 or pre-'82 copper has a nice patina, usually a light-brown matt finish after cleaning with water. My final determination for '82 Lincolns is to weigh them on a little electronic pocket scale having modes for Gram(g), Grain(gn), Carat(ct),Pennyweight(dwt) and for slightly more pricey pocket scales you also get Ounce(oz) mode, if you want that.

Lincoln Memorial coppers weigh 3.1 grams and zincers 2.5 grams, and this is after cleaning with water and perhaps a soft toothbrush for accurate weight.

The above information gives you some brief basics and if you want more detail, it's available in various coin books. I happen to have an edition of the Official Red Book of US coins and Strike It Rich With Pocket Change, by Brian Allen & Ken Potter that deals with error coins, mis-strikes, etc.. Also, if you are interested in error coins, I suggest you invest in a good quality eye loupe of around 10X magnification.

Congratulations on your new carrot and coin finds !

Todd

Thanks Todd. I appreciate the comment and the information on the coins. I need to get a book so I can better identify what I find.

You go, don't forget to dress it up a tad, Earl

Nice looking setup there, Surf Master. I don't have the Lesche digger yet. I either use a Sampson shovel or a digger I picked up at one of the garden departments.

Have used the Carrot for a month.... Same experiences here regarding low battery instability. However, its been working very well and I haven't experienced that "pressure faulting" that used to occur the with regular PP.
On Friday I dug a 6 inch plug and couldn't pin point a target...pressed it hard into the corner of the hole and started slow beep. I thought..."falsing"??....took out another 2 inch area and out popped a 1752 KGII......:D....so far so good on the Carrot!

I have not experienced any falsing either. So far, I couldn't be happier. My pointer came with a duracell battery and is working fine. No instability yet. Congrats on your King George. I would be thrilled with something like that!

TomCat141

Tom save your money, I bought that hand digger new a couple of years ago for a trip to CT, they said shovels scared the locals up their :laughing:, never used it as I sold my old one years ago, I put the hand digger in the Buzz Wilson Stealth to show you, i only use it with the Linard & pointers now, all my digging is with Lesche shoves , the 31 T serrated is my favorite , i actually have 3, one without a serrated edge that was given to me by a CT hunter, happy hunting, Earl

Attachments

• 20110613_1.JPG
    20110613_1.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 158
Tom save your money, I bought that hand digger new a couple of years ago for a trip to CT, they said shovels scared the locals up their :laughing:, never used it as I sold my old one years ago, I put the hand digger in the Buzz Wilson Stealth to show you, i only use it with the Linard & pointers now, all my digging is with Lesche shoves , the 31 T serrated is my favorite , i actually have 3, one without a serrated edge that was given to me by a CT hunter, happy hunting, Earl

I have the 18" T handle and the 31" T handle, both serrated. I like them quite a lot.

At

One time I thought of getting a 18, but i do fine with just the 31, to get back to the subject, out of 4 pointers , Carrot , TRX, Pistol Probe, Garret Pro pointer, i tend to grab the Carrot the most, happy hunting , good luck, Earl

One time I thought of getting a 18, but i do fine with just the 31, to get back to the subject, out of 4 pointers , Carrot , TRX, Pistol Probe, Garret Pro pointer, i tend to grab the Carrot the most, happy hunting , good luck, Earl
I bought the 18" first, and then decided the 31" would be easier on my old back:grin:. Happy to hear about the Carrot. Makes me feel even more confident my decision was the right one. Happy hunting!

tomcat141,

I happen to have an edition of the Official Red Book of US coins and Strike It Rich With Pocket Change, by Brian Allen & Ken Potter that deals with error coins, mis-strikes, etc.
Todd

Thanks again, Todd, for the heads up on the coin books. I ordered the Official Red book today. Looking forward to getting it. I haven't had a coin book for years.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom