Western NEW YORK really loving the weather now .

BUCKETS

Hi IM Larry from Wyoming county NY
I cant belive today I was out metal detecting and the weather was in the 50s
ID figure I better get out soon evrything will be frozen .
Any one else out there from western NY ??

Hey freeze
My wife got me a Leshie digging tool for christmas .
have you been out latley ? I m wantig to go but weather is getting bad again .

hey Debbie are you from bew york too or Texa s? any way hi . Id love to have a femalefriend metal detector .

Buckets..... Hello, I have not been out in a while as the weather "rain etc." has been a hindrance. I am doing some extensive research of the area as I have been lucky enough to have been able to "by permission" gain access to historical archives such as old Maps,journals,etc. and studying old property deeds,1700's 1800's etc homestead maps etc. in order to get a grip of the land back then. I am also currently researching a early 1800's settlement that was not too far from me & will detect,plot & do a dig when the weather gets better after Winter. So I have a lot of old maps etc. here to go through & will make winter somewhat bearable.
I will also be working with the historian moving all the items to a new building & then cataloging all the items etc.
I cannot wait till winter is over as I had been "this past summer" researching & locating lost Cemeteries in the area plus detecting.

hi I was just looking into fisher metaldetectors . I have a whites and found my first silver dime today
Your reasearch sounds fun and interesting

Hey Buckets

Where are you at in Wyoming county? I am from Bennington. If you are interested there is a meeting of the Rochester club tommorrow morning. Go to GVTS.org for info. I will be there.

Mark S.

Hi Mark .thank you for the invite .I think iI heard of you before, is your sons friends name Travis? I was talking to Travis last weekend . He said he knew a guy from bennington ,I thikn he said it was a friends of his father .meaning you . Im Larry and I live in orangeville.I m not able to make the meeting because of work .I would like to go sometime though . I whish this weather would get warm again ,so we can get out and find more 07 targets .
I foung my first silver, a dime a couple of weeks ago when the weather was nice ,it was a 1951 rosevelt
I have a whites classic 5 id .Im now saving for a fisher CZ-3D
I also want to try gold panning ,not around here though but Id like to go after some gold some day .Talk to you later .

Yes travis and my son are buddies. I have been doing this for 30 years and still enjoy it. Although the pickings are not what they used to be. If you are able to make a meeting sometime then just drop in. We have an open hunt at Beaver Meadow campground every Sept. This year is the 22, 23.

Was out once about two weeks ago. A farm field where a house sat. Holes were filling in with water fast as I could dig. Unfortunately we have a winter to get thru yet. It just hasn't decided when its going to get here. Did you know that there is a Western New York Gold Prospectors club? Ususally meets at the Central House in N. Java on the 2nd saturday of the month.

Fishers are generally and always have been good machines. No one knows right now what the future holds with the First Texas buyout.

We will have to get together this summer sometime.

Wow ,you gave me alot of cool info.I heard of the treasure hunt at beaver meadow .I want to attend this year . Thank you for the dates .I had no Idea about the wentern ny gold prospecors club .What time of the day do they meet there ?/ Looks like I wont be able to go till at least march then maybe ,...with my work schedual and all .
I would like to go out detecting sometime ,that sounds nice .I generally go to hamlin park in E A and couple other places .I havent tried any schools yet .
What ever is fine with me .Thanks for responding Hope to see you around sometime .
Larry

hey Mark hows it going ,I think you bought a table top from my Dads garage sale this summer ,just top with no base I think . Any way snowing good here Im going back on to ebay see you later .

That wasn't me that bought the table. The Gold club usually meets at 10 am.
here is a link to their website.

http://wnygoldprospectors.netfirms.com/news.html

Snowing here to. About time. Not that I am crazy about the snow and cold. I would rather be swinging a detector. Next sunday, 28th, is the snowmobile clubs doings at Byrncliff. They have an old sled show. I take my 66 ski doo over. My dad bought it new and its in great shape. Last two years I had to truck it over as there was no snow. Hopefully I can ride it this year.

We will get out when the good weather returns.

Mark S.

Thanks Mark
I dont have any sleds but I like them . I have a dirt dike a honda crf250 x ,My wife has a 4 wheeler
talk to you later .

Hey Mark
do you know anything about getting a metaldetecting permit ? I heard you need one for state parks . I was wondering where to write to or call to get one .
I was wondering do you prefer metal detectors with programming like whites dfx and minde lab ,or do you prefer to go the knobs route ?

Buckets, To get a permit for the parks you have to go to your regional Hdqtrs, look in the phone book under NYS Parks. I don't think it is really worth it though. I live in the Finger Lakes region and got one a couple of years ago. It costs ten bucks and of the 18 parks in the region I was limited to the beach areas of Cayuga Lake and Fair Haven. You are limited to a tool 2" wide and no more than 6" long, any finds other than modern coinage are suposed to be turned into Hdqtrs for evaluation. Permits are only valid between labor Day and Memorial day. On top of all that they still charge you the 6 dollar parking fee.
I was at Fair Haven for about 20 minutes and the park police came and sure enough checked my brother in laws permit. ( My wife works for the park system and I knew them so they did'nt bother me cept to say hi.)

To add to what Pitch said. Any parks that are open to detecting are only for beach areas as far as I know.

Not all parks charge for the permits but it is becoming more common. Don't waste your time with Letchworth if you were thinking about it. Off limits. The park managers are supposed to have the say so over it but they seem reluctant to take that responsibility and just say no. Many are running scared of the "archaeological" concerns. I talked to a park manager at length recently. He doesn't see any reason why we cannot hunt anywhere in "his" park. Problem is that the archaeologists have tied his hands. There is a small indian site in one far corner of the park so everything but the beach is off limits. If he needs to dig a hole he has to get approval from them. It is a joke.

Go to FMDAC.org and look in the right hand column near the top. Click on State Park Regulations and you will go to a page of all 50 state park regulations. Make that 47 as 3 have not replied.

As for detectors I use a Minelab Explorer mostly. I am not real keen on the programming part. I can never remember how to get to what I want. I would prefer the knobs but you just cannot get the same performance out of them. I have a Teknetics Mark 1 that dates to the late 80's that I was using up until I got the explorer. Full of knobs but a great machine that was way ahead of its time. Also have Fishers although they are a bit older too.

With all this snow looks like the old sled show will be hopping. Stop in if you get a chance. From 10 to 4. I will be wandering around there all day.

Mark S.

Thanks pitch and Mark for the advise ,Get any kind of government involved and it gets crazy .
The snowmobile show sounds like fun ,I also wanted to go to the RV show and look at toy haulers small ones ,so if I go camping to a gold mine we have stuff to ride .
I did go to the motorcycle show in Cleveland over the week end .We seen some awsome eye candy .
I seen some real interesting looking sleds at Sunny side today when I went to get an oil filter for my wifes 4 wheeler
well I might look at last years finds later and make sure nothing old is stuck in my clad and then roll it up at put it twards a new detector .
Im wondering how much is in that chest I have ....my estimate is around 35 dollrs no more .Ill let you guys know ...

here are my 2006 clad finds

20 nickels
72 Quarters
95 Dimes
580 Pennies

I found one silver dime ,and a small handfull of wheats and one nice 1900 Indian pennie .
Talk to you guys later .

Back
Top Bottom