Nokta Impact versus Minelab SE and Excalibur

wisconsinwalter

My hunting buddy doesn't want to like the Impact like some others I have ran into, but in this air test on the things we find in WI the Impact smoked the Minelab.

We tested the AT Pro too. It did ok. I used the AT Pro exclusively before I got the Impact last night.

Hunting videos to follow when I get to my grounds up north where I hunt hard

I tested all of the tone modes as it will be what I primarily hunt in. Deep and VLX2 seem to be strongest followed by DI2

https://youtu.be/x6GdxoYRaEo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in WI and have no worries about the salt water. I had a CZ21, excel and At Pro for water and will continue to use my AT for water hunting

I'm not knocking the impact. Im saying your comparing two machines that are built for different purposes. Plus were those air test? (I can't tell on my phone while at work).

I'm not knocking the impact. Im saying your comparing two machines that are built for different purposes. Plus were those air test? (I can't tell on my phone while at work).

They have a purpose of finding things. Same thing. The Minelab should be better as it has 25 "feelers" ! Besides a test on the ground exposes the test to environmentals that it would if in the ground that the air can't replicate

I personally been running a CTX for over a year and hit the same park over 50 times in that time span. My two deepest coins found there was on Sunday using the Impact for the first time using DI3 mode which I know is not the deepest.

Here is the video of the plugs dug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNMxTm6qXYI&t=95s

Thanks for video.
I wonder,,,on the IHs dug,,any iron tone coming in close to them,,before they were dug,,,and were the plugs checked for iron tone??
Would have been nice to know.
Again thanks for video.
I will be watching more of your videos.
I like em.

Unfortunately this test won't prove one detector to be deeper than the other, unless you hunt in zero mineralised ground.
The Impact is a high audio gain detector, the output power of the signal is fixed, it can only amplify the audio of weak signals, and the depth is determined by the soil.
As an example, the R2, stock coil, air tested a big english penny around 17", in my soil it couldn't go deeper than 9", ramping up the gain made little difference as the signal got swamped at 9" therefore there was no deep faint signal to amplify.
I've other detectors that don't air test as well as the R2 but go deeper than it in ground.

It all comes down to the soil and how the detector handles it, air tests are usefull and give you some idea of what your machine can achieve.

They have a purpose of finding things. Same thing. The Minelab should be better as it has 25 "feelers" ! Besides a test on the ground exposes the test to environmentals that it would if in the ground that the air can't replicate

Why can't one be both??

They are both coin and relic machines,,,but out of the two the Minelabs excel at coins..The other excel at relics.
I've had a deus,racer 2,signum 7272 and a few others..Not bad machines,and not to split hairs but in the videos the impact seems the same.Those machines will find coins but the Id is all over the place,if it's not blank.
My opinion is Minelabs have not only the best coin Id,but the best coin audio.And also the heaviest machines out there.

They are both coin and relic machines,,,but out of the two the Minelabs excel at coins..The other excel at relics.

I've had a deus,racer 2,signum 7272 and a few others..Not bad machines,and not to split hairs but in the videos the impact seems the same.Those machines will find coins but the Id is all over the place,if it's not blank.

My opinion is Minelabs have not only the best coin Id,but the best coin audio.And also the heaviest machines out there.

No issues with different opinions but that's why I measured the difference and did the test on the ground where the minerals are.

In WI, I showed exactly what I hope to find with the Impact. The test piece is worth $100.

The Minelab Explorer SE was short. The only Minelab I am aware of that might get close was the Sovereign. But the Excal is a sovereign.

I have no experience with the new Minelabs so I can't speak to those.

Minelabs go deep in dirt,deeper than a single frequency that's for sure..Even test beds buried for 10 years are not equal to a coin buried for 150..I see a lot of videos,coins planted 12 inches fresh and get hit,,been there and done that..it's not the same as in the wild,controlled test are just that,controlled..

I have never dug any 10" deep nickels using Etrac or CTX wearing stock coils.

I have dug some 10" deep nickels using Deus version 3.2 wearing 11" coil.

Wonder what this means??

This 150 years you speak of Woodbutcher,,how come so many wheatheads are found with Etrac and CTX,,,,they can't be buried 150 years,,,most of them anyway.

I do agree some time is necessary,,and yes the undisturbed soil matrix does have affects on detectors,,,depending on detector,,both positive and negative affects.

I am not posting here to defend or attack any detector model.
But to share some facts.

Those fbs1 and 2 Minelabs do provide good ID.
But remember the coin say has to be located first to get the good ID.

So what about a detector that locates a coin,,maybe the ID is good or at least tells users it is nonferrous,but FBS detector struggles to locate or can't.

Can this happen???

If FBS detectors were the end all for coin hunting,,,why are coins still being found in school yards,,parks, etc.

I mean fbs detectors have been out a while now,,I wonder just how many old school yards,,church yards,,parks,,,just what percentage of area hasn't by now had a coil swept over them using the fbs detectors???

It is not about just detection either,,,things like a detector providing a more angular attack angle for detection can help.

Yes we don't know what we don't know.

Who here has dug up an entire park and sifted the dirt,,,say the first 12" of soil??
I haven't and won't be.

O yes a lot of Minelabbers are very satisfied. Why??
Because they found some coins.
So did the self satisfaction mean they found all the coins present in the detector's depth range of detection???

Maybe some think so,,maybe some don't.

I have seen enough empiral evidence while using detectors to say,,,Minelab fbs 1 or fbs 2 units are not the end all units for coins,,and relics,,and jewelry.

A little story,,,found a nice seated and a Rosie a few years back using Nokta CoRe.
In a very hard hunted patch.
Had 2 witnesses too and they couldn't beleive.
My brother and our friend were along when I discovered.
So my brother snuck back and hunted that afternoon and most of the next day in this one area,,,he used a Etrac with stock coil and 6x8 sef coil,,,he just swore there would be some more discoveries here.
What did he find coin wise??
Notta

He thought if the Nokta unit could find a seated coin here,,,if that cheap detector could do it,,his trusty Minelab should excel here even more.

Btw,,a gent who lives in this county has been detecting since 1975,,in this county over this period,,,guess how many seated coins he has dug??? I asked him and he told me maybe 8 total.
He is a big fbs user too,,,he uses a SE Pro.
And has used other good until over time.
He had actually been in this site I talk about above,,quite a bit actually.

I was tickled with the find,,,those seated are hard find here in this area.

Different detectors for different scenarios is what it's all about. If one detector was the best at everything there would be no need for anything else. XP deus/nokta impact and relic, tesoros all great in iron trash laden old sites. They can be used in more modern sites with modern trash looking for old coins just not as good as the minelab and CZs. My experience with single frequency machines is they have a tendancy to up average deep modern trash like beaver tails and ring pulls which cause one to spend more time digging deep trash than the multi frequency machines. A real test with these machines is to go to your local old park, take the impact and mark off 20 deep targets you would dig with that than take a CTX303 and check them and mark what's trash and what's good , you might be surprised.

Back
Top Bottom