F70 vs compadre

NCtoad

Forum Supporter
Mark one up to the compadre. Yesterday after I got home from work I noticed that my wife had moved the kids' trampoline to another part of the yard. Since I have gone over our yard many, many times over the past 6 months I hadn't hit this spot. So I went out with the F70 and the hunter coil and found basically nothing but trash in the 12' diameter area where the trampoline was. A little later after dinner, I went out again with the compadre to hit that same area. first pass through I get a decent signal with the disc set at "r" in iron. I thumbed it and still had a signal when cranked all the way. Not a super strong signal, but I dug and exactly 5.5" down was a Canadian quarter from 1969! I couldn't believe I missed that with the F70 and I gridded that area with the F70! The big thing here was as I was digging I found a rusty finish staple in the plug with the pinpointer and then when I stuck the pp in the hole there was still something down there and low and behold the quarter.

Mark one up to the compadre. Yesterday after I got home from work I noticed that my wife had moved the kids' trampoline to another part of the yard. Since I have gone over our yard many, many times over the past 6 months I hadn't hit this spot. So I went out with the F70 and the hunter coil and found basically nothing but trash in the 12' diameter area where the trampoline was. A little later after dinner, I went out again with the compadre to hit that same area. first pass through I get a decent signal with the disc set at "r" in iron. I thumbed it and still had a signal when cranked all the way. Not a super strong signal, but I dug and exactly 5.5" down was a Canadian quarter from 1969! I couldn't believe I missed that with the F70 and I gridded that area with the F70! The big thing here was as I was digging I found a rusty finish staple in the plug with the pinpointer and then when I stuck the pp in the hole there was still something down there and low and behold the quarter.

That's why we build arsenals and use more than one tool.
It is possible you could have hit that quarter with the F70 too, maybe from another direction or who knows what.
The Compadre found it easily and that is what counts and why I have one.

I have gone over many sites with different detectors, coils and settings and usually find things with one that I missed with others, sometimes find things on one day I had missed with the same tool before.
Ilogically surprising but it happens to me all the time.
Not that one was better than the others overall...more like it was definitely better on that day.

It's all about having fun and finding things and you have two great tools that do that well.

That's why we build arsenals and use more than one tool.
It is possible you could have hit that quarter with the F70 too, maybe from another direction or who knows what.
The Compadre found it easily and that is what counts and why I have one.

I have gone over many sites with different detectors, coils and settings and usually find things with one that I missed with others, sometimes find things on one day I had missed with the same tool before.
Ilogically surprising but it happens to me all the time.
Not that one was better than the others overall...more like it was definitely better on that day.

It's all about having fun and finding things and you have two great tools that do that well.
I agree. Although I feel like I've made great strides with learning my F70 in the past 6 months, I've still got a lot to learn. I'm sure this can be chalked up to inexperience. I was just so surprised to see a quarter in hole:lol:

I have 6 Tesoro detectors because they plain flat work. I did a test once with 4 detectors that I have in my arsenal down at the local trashy park. I gridded off a 10 x 20 area and started off with the Deus 9in coil starting left to right and back and forth and flagged all targets I would dig. I then took the F75 and followed the same path and checked the flags 5in coil,and it saw them all. Then the Nokta Relic 5in coil and it saw them all. I then took the Vaq with 5.75 concentric coil and it saw the all plus two extras I flagged. Checked the two extras with the other machines and they said junk so I dug them. They turned out to be coin spills with zinc and dimes in one and quarters and nickels and zinc in the other. Thing is the Vaquero told me to dig them because they wouldnt disc out. The TID machines the numbers and sounds were so far off I wouldn't dug thinking it was junk. There is something to be said about 1 tone and no display sometimes.

This is a story repeated over and over, but it's not one detector that always trumps another. It's why we say no site is ever really hunted out. I just got an ATPro a couple of weeks ago and I'm learning it in an old school yard that I worked thoroughly with a Vaquero, a Compadre and a Deleon. I didn't expect to find much, but so far 4 silver coins and a silver ring that I missed with the Tesoros. In the future I'll try a different machine and I'll find good targets I missed with the ATP. That's just how it goes.

The F70 did its job correctly . The Canadian quarter will stick to a magnet.:yes:

Actually, in 1969 Canadian quarters were made from 99.9% nickel.
That's a drag, and now the modern steel ones are even more so.
I hate hunting in iron while looking for coins.
Canada is weird.

Thank you for the correction. I was thinking they all were steel.I learned something today.

Back
Top Bottom