Operation Pluto one of WWII biggest secret

Rudy

Admin
Did you ever wonder how, after the landings at Normandy, the allied's mechanized armies (tanks, trucks, jeeps,...) got their fuel? I mean, they could hardly use the corner gas station. The US Army created the famous "Red Ball Express", a continuous resupply of fuel to Patton's Third Army. But how on earth did they get the fuel into the European mainland? That's where operation Pluto comes in. Fascinating exercise into logistics planning and supply on a grandiose scale!

A amazing engineering accomplishment , and equally amazing they kept it from being discovered .
Thanks for sharing .
HH

It really is amazing the way the country pulled together for the war effort back then and the different ideas they came up with to support it . Thanks for posting that , as well as all the informative videos you post for us . Thank you.

Very interesting story!!

My dad died when I was pretty young, but my mother would tell me of his time as an Army truck driver during the Battle of the Bulge period in Belgium. Watching this made me wonder if he was one of those truck driver pictured delivering fuel and supplies to the front?!?

Thanks Rudy!!

That's very cool Rudy. I've always wondered how they got their fuel. Thanks for the history lesson.....:yes:

Very cool video. Thanks for sharing Rudy. It's funny how strong and stiff steel pipes are in short sections yet when they are long runs of pipe they are flexible. Some of the long gas pipe runs I work with you have a hard time getting them to run straight. Long runs are like wet noodles.

Thanks for all your comments of appreciation. Makes my rummaging through the internet for the unusual worthwhile. :yes:

That's when America was truly a country united and strong. Today divided and weak and full of give mes instead of givers. Thanks for the historical record im a huge WWII history nut, I love that era.. Think I was born in the wrong decade

Every time I see something on the subject I can't help missing my Dad he landed at Utah beach on D-Day. I know this from his military documents I inherited after his death in 1994 until that time I never knew he was a part of the invasion he never spoke of it at least not to his family. I never considered what was in the video. Thanks you.

Back
Top Bottom