The bridge that eats trucks...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Schadenfreude....Pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.

http://11foot8.com

This is one of the best time wasting sites I have ever seen.
It is called 11foot8 for a reason...that is the height of this 100 year old RR trestle bridge.
AKA the "Can Opener Bridge".

Lots of warning signs around, even a warning system and yet people keep hitting it.
Tons of rental trucks, I worked for a company that rented trucks and we have a couple of old RR trestle short bridges too and others around town so this happened to a few of our trucks also and they got returned with no roof and some pretty funny excuses.
One guy tried to convince us we rented the truck to him with a peeled back top.
They all have the height written right on the the truck and yet...

Tons of other trucks here too, wish there was a camera in the cabs of some of the ones that pop a wheelie, the driver's reaction would be priceless.

Over 100 great videos in the archives, some compilations and more added all the time as they happen.

The website story..

A compilation...

The example below is one guy that for some strange reason thought sneaking up on the bridge slowly would be successful.
Yeaaaaaaa....No.

:lol: ::lol: although I do feel for their misery !

This happens to the foolish, clueless or just those that aren't paying attention.
You are warned of the height of the truck when you rent one, professional drivers should have a clue so...

I talked to guy once that I was renting a truck to, as I mentioned part of the process is we always mention the height of the truck as most people that drive cars never notice height signs since most of the time things like that don't affect them.

This guy told me he is very aware of that height thing...now.
He had two very expensive bicycles mounted and standing up in a rack mounted on top of his car once, didn't think much about it at all until one day he decided to go through a McDonald's drive through.
They have a bright yellow bar with the height printed on it several yards before you reach the window with the canopy for a reason.
He found out why....a very expensive lesson for him that day.

At least those guys had signs to read. A couple of years ago a couple of drunken teenagers decided they were going to take there truck across the river down the street from me. There are 3 bridges that cross that river and typically not alot of traffic at night over them. Well they decided not to use any of those bridges and instead decided the railroad testle that crosses about 50 foot high over the river would be the better option. They did make it all the way over the river but was still on the trestle about 20 foot over the road it crossed when they lost control and got thier from tires hanging over the edge and stuck. Emergency crews had to rescue them. Lucky couple of kids there. That is a busy track and if a train happened to come by they would be Darwin award winners. Still remember coming home and looking up to see the truck dangling there trying to figure out how supid someone could be.

I have watched those videos and I wonder if some of those drivers are injured by the sudden stop, especially if they're not wearing the seat belt. Some are going at a pretty good clip when they hit.

As much damage that has been done you would think the city would do something. If they couldn't replace the bridge they could at least lower the roadway under it. That would be the cheapest solution. They have been working on a bridge here over a river on a major street for some time now. I don't believe it took that long to build it in the first place.

In places where hitting low bridges is known to repeatedly happen they need to at least do this -
bridgewarning2.jpg

bridgewarning.jpg

Yes, this does happen often throughout the country.

In the fall when the kids invade the college towns, local radio stations take bets on when the first can opening will happen! :wow: :yes: :laughing:

I have watched those videos and I wonder if some of those drivers are injured by the sudden stop, especially if they're not wearing the seat belt. Some are going at a pretty good clip when they hit.

A very good friend of mine died after the roll off container truck he was driving crashed into a bridge. The flatbed part of the truck was raised for some unknown reason. He hit that bridge going very fast.......

Such activity was a yearly occurrence on Storrow Drive come college move in time in the Cambridge/Alston/Brighton area. It is amazing how many people have done this, despite trucks being prohibited from the road, and a 10' height limit on the entirety of the road.

Back
Top Bottom