Garrett propointers going in for service and I am thrilled with the experience so far!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
I bought a Propointer 4 1/2 years ago and a year later got a deal on a second one just in case I lose the first but ended up using both a ton.
I have used both of them combined for literally hundreds and hundreds of hours, maybe way over 1000, never had any falsing problems and figured out a way to extend the range on these things quickly easily and efficiently up to about 6" or so if needed and I use them to pinpoint 99% of my targets from the top of the ground and I usually dig very small holes.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=82678

I turn them off and on hundreds of times on a typical hunt, I have no idea how many times I have pressed those buttons but by now it is in the many thousands.
Now I am having problems with both switches and honestly...I am surprised they lasted this long considering the use and abuse I am able to dish out.

Because they don't work right anymore and I am slowing way down in my recovery time I am forced to do something about this problem.
This is a volume business..."He who digs the most targets finds the most treasure", I believe, so it is time.

This morning I called Garret and asked some questions.
Telephone: 1-972-494-6151

After a little wait time I talked to Adam..a very knowledgeable and professional rep.
We checked both serial numbers and he said they are both out of the 2 year warranty...something I admitted at the start of our conversation.
I then asked what is the process and cost to get them repaired.
He said out of warranty units are to be shipped back to Garland Texas and when they receive them they will diagnose the problem and repair it.
The cost would be $27.50 which will cover the cost of diagnosing and repair plus return shipping charges back to me.
They will contact me when they find out the problem and tell me the full price with any parts that need to be added and I can pay them at that time over the phone with a credit or debit card.
They also accept money orders but that would probably slow down the process and wait time.
Adam said if the switch is indeed the problem the cost for that tiny thing is very inexpensive.
He said there will be a guaranteed 10 day turnaround time, most times it is usually less, and I will receive my PP in perfect working order again.
I asked since I have 2 what would be the cost if I sent both in at the same time.
He said they will charge me only the one $27.50 fee and parts costs to cover both units, repair them at the same time and cover shipping back to me.

This sounds pretty good to me.

An out of warranty unit with this kind of service at this cost for both...the math works for me...especially since they have helped me recover over $4000 worth of clad, silver and gold in the time I have used them.

If they charge me the $27.50 and get them back to me within that time frame I will be very happy.
If they don't charge me to repair them I will be thrilled.
If they charge me and send me 2 new units I will be ecstatic.
If they don't charge me and still send me 2 new units I will faint.

Any of these different scenarios will work for me just fine and dandy.

He took my name, phone and adress info and gave me a RMA number...Return Merchandise Authority and said to put that on the front of the label.

The address to send them to is:

Garrett Metal Detector Co.
Attn. Repair Dept.
1881 W. State street
Garland, Texas 75042

I guess now they get packed up and we will see what happens.

The only problem is I will be so very frustrated not having these with me on my hunts for 10 days.
I guess I will get out the old Harbor Freight unit or try to find my F Point Fisher that I have around here somewhere.
It won't be the same at all, and I wish I could wait to winter to do this but there are so many great things in the ground that need to be found and dug I have to do this now before the season ends.
Then I will make up for lost time when they return.

So many complaints about these things, like nothing we ever buy ever goes bad.
Because of the sheer number of these things sold, there are going to be some problems just according to the numbers.
I am sorry for anyone that had problems earlier on, but as for myself my experience with Garrett and these handhelds have been pretty positive.
I was in retail for decades, considering the abuse I have heaped upon these things, how well they worked for the time I have owned them and the relatively low cost of repairing them for 2 hard used 3 and 4 1/2 year old electronic units, if they are returned to me as promised even if they charge me the money we discussed you will be looking at one satisfied and life long customer.

Just sent mine back but I've only owned it 10 months ... Not as thrilled as you!

I have to send mine back twice in less then three years, doesn't make me very happy either. It seems like they would try to fix the problems that they have, instead of a quick fix and send it back to the customer. I hate having to return the same product over and over again, it cost money and takes time away from detecting.

After reading through Mr. Diggers long production, While all was still it gave me the impression of the work of a shill. All the kind words and information given made me think that maybe he was talking about Whites. The names and addresses did not fit but the praise of service did. Clearly I found he was talking about Garrett and their excellent service department. The need is very great because they have a very big job to support manufactured products that seem to have a declining service record. We hear very little about the Whites service center because they seem to be much smaller and have a far less of a need because the items they support seem to hold together much better and longer.

I have found Garrett's CUSTOMER SERVICE to be second to none. Very Prompt, efficient, courteous, and professional. Thanks for sharing

After reading through Mr. Diggers long production, While all was still it gave me the impression of the work of a shill. All the kind words and information given made me think that maybe he was talking about Whites. The names and addresses did not fit but the praise of service did. Clearly I found he was talking about Garrett and their excellent service department. The need is very great because they have a very big job to support manufactured products that seem to have a declining service record. We hear very little about the Whites service center because they seem to be much smaller and have a far less of a need because the items they support seem to hold together much better and longer.

A shill huh? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Over 10,000 posts and not one of them ever had any praise for any detector or accessory I have not had personal experience with.
Sometimes it has been the opposite if that is within my experience, and not one word I have ever posted on this forum has been anything else but sincere and honest.

Don't believe that?
You have no idea how much I don't care.

I do believe the older GPP's were awesome but the newer ones seem to last only a month or two before they are a pain again. I had two. first one lasted 2 months and switch messed up ordered another one while that one was repaired and the second was a beast. lasted about a year and I finally sent it in when it was falsing bad and the tip was almost worn thru. while it was being fixed I started using the one that was returned and it lasted 2 months, and got sent back. I used the other while it was away and it lasted a month and it was falsing like crazy. ended up trading one for a TRX as soon as UPS delieveried it from repair and the TRX is awesome. I will be sending the other GPP to get it fixed and will be selling or trading it for another TRX. they both almost spent as much time getting repaired as they did being used.

I do believe the older GPP's were awesome but the newer ones seem to last only a month or two before they are a pain again. I had two. first one lasted 2 months and switch messed up ordered another one while that one was repaired and the second was a beast. lasted about a year and I finally sent it in when it was falsing bad and the tip was almost worn thru. while it was being fixed I started using the one that was returned and it lasted 2 months, and got sent back. I used the other while it was away and it lasted a month and it was falsing like crazy. ended up trading one for a TRX as soon as UPS delieveried it from repair and the TRX is awesome. I will be sending the other GPP to get it fixed and will be selling or trading it for another TRX. they both almost spent as much time getting repaired as they did being used.

Look back to when "Diggers" started. Back when Pandemonium set in. Distributors had semi trailers full of AT Pros and propointers on the way. Then look at when build quality went down the drain. Not sure how many got built quick? Elsewhere maybe? But I'd venture to say a lot of the new defective ones are old stock from a couple Christmas's ago:D

I have had them both over 3 years, the first one over four.
As I said, for the amount of times I have hit that switch I am surprised they lasted this long.
Unlike some I look at the glass as being half full, not half empty.
Why don't we wait and see how long the repaired ones last, shall we?

Also I am not stupid.
If I do start having a ton of problems don't think I won't start looking elsewhere.
I try to buy tools and detectors with long if not lifetime warranties because I am so hard on them, and I want as little hassle as possible just like the next guy.

I am just saying for me the service I got out of them is more than acceptable, and how the company seems to be handling the repairs seems very fair.
If I get another 3-4 years out of each one I will be happy, if not the others on the market, especially the new ones, should have a longer track record than they do now so I will weigh my options.

It could be said that if you deal with "Garrett" and their "pin pointer", it is very much like playing the lottery and your chances of winning slim. :no:

A couple of months ago, I called Garrett about the ongoing problems with mine . It was about 6 months out of warranty when I called. They quoted me $ 50 + to repair & return.

Back
Top Bottom