Old maps and accuracy

Analog_Kid

Hey guys,

I recently discovered historicmapworks.com, and I'm blown away by it. I'm really excited because for the first time in a long time I feel like I have an advantage.

I've been looking at a couple of locations where I grew up. There is an old school house that my uncle went to 50-60 years ago as a boy about 5 miles from my home. I wanted to see if there were any old atlases at mapworks that showed the location of the school house, and sure enough there is.

The problem, however, is that when you overlay the 1867 atlas over Google maps, the 1867 atlas is off by at least half a mile. For instance, the 1867 atlas locates the school about a half mile north of its actual location. Of course, I'd like to fix this problem and make the map as accurate as possible. There are a lot of houses, churches, etc, that I'm finding that are out in the middle of dense forest, such as an estate that once belonged to a doctor. When you lay the atlas over Google maps, the estate is in the middle of dense forest with no roads leading anywhere near it, in spite of the fact that it's inaccurate. I'd LOVE to check this site out.

Since I've been out of the GIS field for some time, are there any mapping packages that allow you to overlay and increase the atlas accuracy by moving the map around and adding more triangulation points? I know that you can move atlases around on Google Earth and stretch them a bit, but from I can tell, it doesn't allow you to add triangulation points.

Hey guys,

I recently discovered historicmapworks.com, and I'm blown away by it. I'm really excited because for the first time in a long time I feel like I have an advantage.

I've been looking at a couple of locations where I grew up. There is an old school house that my uncle went to 50-60 years ago as a boy about 5 miles from my home. I wanted to see if there were any old atlases at mapworks that showed the location of the school house, and sure enough there is.

The problem, however, is that when you overlay the 1867 atlas over Google maps, the 1867 atlas is off by at least half a mile. For instance, the 1867 atlas locates the school about a half mile north of its actual location. Of course, I'd like to fix this problem and make the map as accurate as possible. There are a lot of houses, churches, etc, that I'm finding that are out in the middle of dense forest, such as an estate that once belonged to a doctor. When you lay the atlas over Google maps, the estate is in the middle of dense forest with no roads leading anywhere near it, in spite of the fact that it's inaccurate. I'd LOVE to check this site out.

Since I've been out of the GIS field for some time, are there any mapping packages that allow you to overlay and increase the atlas accuracy by moving the map around and adding more triangulation points? I know that you can move atlases around on Google Earth and stretch them a bit, but from I can tell, it doesn't allow you to add triangulation points.

You may want to take a look at my Maprika setup for detecting. Lots of other diggers are using it now and love it. I am not selling a thing - I just use the package on my ipad and iphone. Maprika uses a correction matrix to take care of the old vs. new position errors. It takes a bit of work to do the initial alignment, but quite simple.

http://www.detecting.us/2012/10/30/using-maprika-for-metal-detecting/

I'm thinking of doing some live tutorials on using it if I get enough interest.

I don't have an iPhone. :/

Does it work with iPad? My wife has one, but I don't think she'd let me go tromping through the woods with it.

Could be they moved it from its original location & thats why its showing in a different area, it was pretty common back then to relocate sites for different reasons..
I've hunted a church that was moved 3 times, the first 2 times it was moved about a half a mile, the 3rd time they moved it 3 miles away from its original spot..
Thats not always the case but it does happen...

LightningJack, here is an image of the overlay to give you an idea of what I'm getting at. I'm notoriously bad with grammar.

In the image, you will notice that the white dot in the middle of the red circle is a school house, and was mapped in the 1867 atlas. The red arrows show where the points in the original map need to be pinned to in order to make a more precise map. The imprecision in the overlay could be the difference between just digging dirt and digging something far more valuable.

Attachments

• map2.jpg
    map2.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 359
I don't have an iPhone. :/

Does it work with iPad? My wife has one, but I don't think she'd let me go tromping through the woods with it.

1. it works with iPad in 2x mode. It also works with Android.

2. You don't have to take it to the woods. JUST the first desktop-mapping part of the tool is amazingly useful. The mobile part is actually kind of optional.

I will tell you that AFAIK, this is the best possible way to get accurate positions on old maps to help with hunts that requires the least work.

Scott

I understand your problem with the map being off. Especially once you put the red arrows on it. But, it appears the school was across the dead end interstection where Little German Rd. ends. Couldn't you just to go that present day intersection and check directly across the street? It may be developed, or it may be private or whatever.

It's just a thought. Hope you figure it out as it sounds like a cool place to hunt!

ga5150, yes I can do that. It wouldn't be so much of a problem for this map I included, but it becomes a problem with other areas I'm not so familiar with. I'm pretty familiar with this map, but if I go out of state or even the next county over, it could be a lost cause.

Thanks to all for your help so far.

The thing I've learned with these maps being off is "moving the map in my mind"

Sounds impossible, but you get the idea of the vicinity.....

Have you done the IMAGE OVERLAY on Google Earth?
When you lay your image onto Google Earth you will see some GREEN HANDLES that you can grab and "rubber sheet" or stretch the map to fit section lines, roads, landmarks, etc.
I use a program that also lays the section grids, township, and ranges on top of Google Earth, search for Earthpoint townships.
It has a free trial, but if you delete and re-install it you can keep using it for as long as you like.
This works well if the old plat has the sections on it.
Also, do small sections at a time to eliminate the "build up" error factor!
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom