old house question

BillyB

Hey guys. I went out this morning to search for a house site that i found on some old 1950 air photos. This house dissapears from maps and photos around 1958. Well I was able to hike in and locate it this morning. But to my dissmay there was a poured cement foundation with steps going down to the cellar. So my question is when did poured foundation become common? The founation looks old and is breaking up but its still a poured foundation. Any help would be great!

Great question , and I don't know ! I found a house that was last on the map about 1930. It is located on what is now park land close to the lake . The house had poured walls celler , a cistern , 3 chimneys , it also had pipes coming through the celler wall . The pipes are a mystery to me , best I can remember 4 approx 1 or1/4 size together , maybe oil heat ? , I could not tell if the concrete cistern was for water or sewer, it was on the opposite side of the home . The celler had poured stairs rear entry . There was a huge poured garage foundation approx 25 / 40 . Also the home had reddish stucco , with wire , make sit hard to detect . The house is close to a main lakeshore rd that's has is one of the oldest routes along the lake . Very close by is a old camp that had cabins with gas , elect , and septic that disappeared in the 50's . The area is known for health ,summer , recreation camps , one of the first YMCA camps is now part of the State park . Concrete was discovered ages ago , the lake provides sand and gravel so it was used a lot around here . The late 1800's we had many estates , industrial millionaires who built along the lake , they had concrete water pump houses , poured boat docks that extended up to 100 Ft from shore . Getting long here , so hope to see other answers. HH

Take a close look at the poured wall 'fingerprint' of the wood forms..Poured can be older than a block foundation, Like Ricki said.....the Romans poured concrete for instance, ....let alone access...so yeah, old looking poured foundations are certainly viable. Comparatively, Blocks are relatively new....

Any old poured foundations using 1x8 horizontal slat forms instead of modern plywood vertical forms is old enough to swing a coil around for silver.....Report back please....

Take a close look at the poured wall 'fingerprint' of the wood forms..Poured can be older than a block foundation, Like Ricki said.....the Romans poured concrete for instance, ....let alone access...so yeah, old looking poured foundations are certainly viable. Comparatively, Blocks are relatively new....

Any old poured foundations using 1x8 horizontal slat forms instead of modern plywood vertical forms is old enough to swing a coil around for silver.....Report back please....

The concrete is very degraded. And the is alot of trash in there from kids partying over the years. I will try to pay closer attention when i go back. What i did notice is the cement was mixed with alot of golfball size quartz stone. The steps leading down were poured. The footprint is small. Maybe 25 x 25. I should have taken pics but it was 25 degrees and i was upset because i thought i lost my pinpointer but found out i left it at home lol.

Keep in mind that newer homes were often built where older homes once stood. Last year I got permission to hunt the yard of a 1920's home that was going to be torn down for a new house to be built. In the yard I found a complete Colonial shoe buckle, a KG II and crotal bell! Any old cellar hole is worth hunting IMO. Good luck!

I know of houses built around 1910 which had poured concrete foundations.

I know that this post is several days old but I don't log in much. We have some friends in Roswell that I did some handyman things for. Wendy and Doug's house was built around 1905-1910 or so and it had a concrete foundation. There are several in that neighborhood like it as well. The basements stayed nice and cool used at times to store root veggies.

Back
Top Bottom