• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Starting a Club..any advise is welcome

luked

been thinking about this for a while and there are no clubs in my area close. so decided to start one in my hometown.
looking for any kind of advise i can get as far as different activities hunts and so on to do. and also things to do in the off season as well when it is cold.

been thinking about this for a while and there are no clubs in my area close. so decided to start one in my hometown.

looking for any kind of advise i can get as far as different activities hunts and so on to do. and also things to do in the off season as well when it is cold.

Start small, meet at a local restaurant or coffee shop and just Schedule a hunt together. See how it goes and let it evolve. You may not to start out with something so official. Start a group email, get ideas about what your folks want to do. Free is best when small, don't start out asking for dues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started a club in my area earlier this year with the help of a couple members on here. Is it going like I wanted? Not quite but I am still happy with it. I had the vision of 20 people and seeded hunts and all that. There are quite a few members, some that aren't in the immediate area, and others that are busy a lot, but it is nice to have the contact with everyone who detects. With my club, we have had a meeting the first Sunday of every month. Nothing big, just talk about finds and permissions and so on. We pick a place to have the meeting and after the initial bs'n, we all detect together. We did get a name and t-shirts, and I do have a club Facebook page. That helps get the interest of others in the area. As far as dues and stuff, there is nothing right now. It all takes financing and true group commitment to pull something like that off. Until the group is established, I think that the one group hunt/meeting a month is good. Always that option to detect with members any other time also. My advice, start the club and see where it goes. Take criticism and ideas and make them work. It's all about getting together with others in your area and having a good time. If enough interest is there from others, then kick it up a notch. Go for it and good luck!

I started a club in my area earlier this year with the help of a couple members on here. Is it going like I wanted? Not quite but I am still happy with it. I had the vision of 20 people and seeded hunts and all that. There are quite a few members, some that aren't in the immediate area, and others that are busy a lot, but it is nice to have the contact with everyone who detects. With my club, we have had a meeting the first Sunday of every month. Nothing big, just talk about finds and permissions and so on. We pick a place to have the meeting and after the initial bs'n, we all detect together. We did get a name and t-shirts, and I do have a club Facebook page. That helps get the interest of others in the area. As far as dues and stuff, there is nothing right now. It all takes financing and true group commitment to pull something like that off. Until the group is established, I think that the one group hunt/meeting a month is good. Always that option to detect with members any other time also. My advice, start the club and see where it goes. Take criticism and ideas and make them work. It's all about getting together with others in your area and having a good time. If enough interest is there from others, then kick it up a notch. Go for it and good luck![/QUOT

What is your club called ?

I started a club in my area earlier this year with the help of a couple members on here. Is it going like I wanted? Not quite but I am still happy with it. I had the vision of 20 people and seeded hunts and all that. There are quite a few members, some that aren't in the immediate area, and others that are busy a lot, but it is nice to have the contact with everyone who detects. With my club, we have had a meeting the first Sunday of every month. Nothing big, just talk about finds and permissions and so on. We pick a place to have the meeting and after the initial bs'n, we all detect together. We did get a name and t-shirts, and I do have a club Facebook page. That helps get the interest of others in the area. As far as dues and stuff, there is nothing right now. It all takes financing and true group commitment to pull something like that off. Until the group is established, I think that the one group hunt/meeting a month is good. Always that option to detect with members any other time also. My advice, start the club and see where it goes. Take criticism and ideas and make them work. It's all about getting together with others in your area and having a good time. If enough interest is there from others, then kick it up a notch. Go for it and good luck![/QUOT

What is your club called ?

South Central Nebraska Metal Detecting Club. Awesome name huh?:lol:

I started a club this year also and we are having a blast so far.
The MKE MDG (Milwaukee Metal Detecting Group) has approximately 10 members and we get together on the first Tuesday of the month.
Some guys arrive at 6:00 for dinner then we start at 7:00.
Everyone brings a find or two which they found since the previous meeting.

We offer a Walker Half for the best coin find and best non-coin find each month.

We also have a raffle where the prizes are typically proof sets, coin flips, etc.

This forum is the best way to facilitate communications and hopefully grow membership:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=231579

I'll just throw this out there...Is there a coin store in your area? Is there also a Numismatic Society or club? I ask this because both of those entities could be potential allies to assist you with your Clubs success...Those old Coin collectors know EVERYTHING there is to know about coins!! They have the Redbook memorized! They know all about the various local tokens and values of coins and whatnot...plus, they are a veritable wealth of historical information that would benefit any Detectorists Club...some are former or active detectorists as well as bottlehunters and privey diggers even...

A Local Coin Store is pretty much the hub of any metal bugs in an area...they will know everybody that might be interested...They also may participate with some specials or gifts to your Organization for hunts or whatnot...Let alone the introductions for permissions to hunt both these outlets may afford to us detectorists...

Both these outfits are intrigued by us...The Coin Collector guys will buy your found stuff, the LCS wants to grow their customer base, will donate coins for your members prizes...its a win win all around if done right...

So there, just a few ideas that may help with your success and fun for your membership..if you can team up with a Coin Collectors Club, or the LCS, you have some good foundation there..Good Luck with your go forward!
Mud

Sounds interesting something I would love to be part of i just don't think there's anything like it in this area. Doesn't help I don't use bookface probably but this post kinda makes it seem doable thank you all for sharing!

Sounds interesting something I would love to be part of i just don't think there's anything like it in this area. Doesn't help I don't use bookface probably but this post kinda makes it seem doable thank you all for sharing!

Cellrdwellr - Did you do the hunt in MA last fall? I know there was some chatter on here, but never met anyone from the forum at the actual event. The MA Treasure Hunting Assoc ran that event and I thought about joining but life is crazy with 2 little kids and full time job, but I still think about checking it out. Newton might be further than you are willing to go from the Woo, but it seemed like a good group of people from what I could tell: http://www.masstreasure.com/

Cellrdwellr - Did you do the hunt in MA last fall? I know there was some chatter on here, but never met anyone from the forum at the actual event. The MA Treasure Hunting Assoc ran that event and I thought about joining but life is crazy with 2 little kids and full time job, but I still think about checking it out. Newton might be further than you are willing to go from the Woo, but it seemed like a good group of people from what I could tell: http://www.masstreasure.com/

Yea I was at the seeded hunt in the fall. I did both hunts. I got to meet Ron71 there, and dirtdivingdj, but unfortunately didn't get to meet the rest. Your scenario sounds almost exactly like mine. I have a 6 month old boy and a 4 year old girl and a full time job as well so I know how the time thing works lol. Yea newton may be a little too far a commute to be able to fully commit. I can't believe with the population in this area that Worcester doesn't have a club. Pm me if you ever want to get out this season !

When I first started there was a small club in Fitchburg, Ma but it is no longer there. With a lot more people detecting central Mass, I don't see why a small club wouldn't do well.

detectorists.jpg

Back
Top Bottom