Has anyone hunted the 1715 Fleet beaches - Sugestions

jewaugh

Forum Supporter
I am planning a trip to Fla. to hunt the 1715 Fleet beaches in the next few months.
It is on my list of things I wanted to do when I retire, and I have been retired since 2003, it is time to do it.
I know my chances of finding any 1715 wreck coins are slim to none, but I'm going anyway. It will be a nice vacation for my wife and I. I may even take my 82 year old mother with me and drop her off at my sisters house in Jacksonville, Fla. for a week while I'm treasure hunting.
I am open for any and all suggestions about best time to go there, where to stay, what beaches to concentrate on, local laws, etc.
I know that Gary Drayton and Clive James Clynick are members on the forum, I am currently reading their books, but if they want to offer up any suggestions, I am open.
I would like to hear from any of the other forum members that have hunted these beaches before also.
I plan on taking my excal II and my CZ-6A as well as a couple of other machines for the wife to use on the beach. I will also take a couple of long handled scoops as well as a couple of hand scoops.
I am still in the planning stages, but if my health holds out and barring any unforeseen circumstances it is a go.

Jack from SE Virginia

I know the best time to hunt for 1715 fleet treasure is after a storm, so you may want to go during hurricane season. On second thought, maybe that is not such a good idea.

I've never hunted that area but I'm sure you know you can't get IN the water in some areas. But the coast in that area is beautiful around Coco Beach and lots of folks making deposits daily. :) Have a great trip and good luck, Jim

I am planning a trip to Fla. to hunt the 1715 Fleet beaches in the next few months.
It is on my list of things I wanted to do when I retire, and I have been retired since 2003, it is time to do it.
I know my chances of finding any 1715 wreck coins are slim to none, but I'm going anyway. It will be a nice vacation for my wife and I. I may even take my 82 year old mother with me and drop her off at my sisters house in Jacksonville, Fla. for a week while I'm treasure hunting.
I am open for any and all suggestions about best time to go there, where to stay, what beaches to concentrate on, local laws, etc.
I know that Gary Drayton and Clive James Clynick are members on the forum, I am currently reading their books, but if they want to offer up any suggestions, I am open.
I would like to hear from any of the other forum members that have hunted these beaches before also.
I plan on taking my excal II and my CZ-6A as well as a couple of other machines for the wife to use on the beach. I will also take a couple of long handled scoops as well as a couple of hand scoops.
I am still in the planning stages, but if my health holds out and barring any unforeseen circumstances it is a go.

Jack from SE Virginia

Well check out Garys Drayton new book that will be a great start for you... He's own personal tips and tricks to shallow water hunting he has added where are the best beaches to go searching in South Florida to find some serious bling. Anyone who would like to buy a copy send him an email at [email protected] for more details, Paypal info, mailing address if paying by personal check or money order etc.
He will also be posting more information on his website at www.garydrayton.com

Treasure coast hunting

I hunted the Treasure Beaches for two weeks in mid May 2010,the summer months are not good for hunting,to much sand on the beaches,the winter months with beach erotion is the best,and after storms,i found only a brass nail from the 1715 fleet wrecks,some melted metal from the Challenger shuttle explosion,clad,18k ring,the way i figure is after a storm,with beach erotion,when 3 ft plus sand is moved,your a local,and can jump wright out at daybreak,no night hunting,laws of light on the beach,certin times when the sea turtles are laying their eggs prohibits light on the beach,hunting from the low tide line to the bottom of the dune line is ok,but read all the signs at the enterances were you park,also were they are salvaging at the wreck sites beware of the fines, and lease laws with the wreck guys and the state of Florida,the water is off limits,by a large area around the wreck.All in all i enjoyed the trip,but if i were to go again it would be between Nov-Feb,also you stated the machines your taking,i hunted with Excaliburs,disc,vlf is not needed their,you need a pulse for depth,later in 2010 i purchaced a Surf Pi Df with the 12/6 in the middle coil,this is the machine i would take back,there is not much trash down their,fewer targets,dig all iron,and deep targets,targets that you need a df to hit, also anything found over 50 years old below the low tide line in the water must be reported to the state of florida 80/20 split some locals can clarify this up some,hope i was some help to you,also read Gary Draytons book (Metal Detecting for Spanish Treasure)pointers,and methods are in this book Earl

Attachments

• P1000009.JPG
    P1000009.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 1,261
Last edited:
So if someone were lucky enough to find some gold jewelry on the beach from the 1715 Fleet, do they legally own it? Or would they have to turn it over to someone or some Government department??

SS jager post

On the beach yes,in the water below the low tide line no,from the low tide line to the bottom of the dune line,no federal beaches,state beaches read the signs,avoid salvage sites,read my post for more info,before yours,Earl

I would say your not even legally allowed to touch it or remove it. But...I say finders keepers!

So if someone were lucky enough to find some gold jewelry on the beach from the 1715 Fleet, do they legally own it? Or would they have to turn it over to someone or some Government department??

Well check out Garys Drayton new book that will be a great start for you... He's own personal tips and tricks to shallow water hunting he has added where are the best beaches to go searching in South Florida to find some serious bling. Anyone who would like to buy a copy send him an email at [email protected] for more details, Paypal info, mailing address if paying by personal check or money order etc.
He will also be posting more information on his website at www.garydrayton.com

Is this Gary perhaps? :lol:

Attachments

• 1715 wreck painting from NGC - Copy.jpg
    1715 wreck painting from NGC - Copy.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,195
If your into reading check out Florida’s Golden Galleons.

http://www.amazon.com/Floridas-Gold...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1306964770&sr=1-1

Its a great read on the 1715 fleet. It has nice descriptions of the salvage camps and life onboard the ships. It really brings a special element to hunting the 1715 beaches when you have a good picture in your mind of how the treasure got to be there. :waytogo:

And bump on the Treasure Guide site.

http://treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com/
:yes: That is a great book...:pirate:

Cool site, THANKS ! for sharing... Ahhh free to dream...detecting the treasure coast.
I'm half way thru Gary's book and I only got it yesterday.:clapping:

Thanks for all the great tips!
That website has a lot of good inormation on it.
I am reading Clive's book right now and I am going to order Gary's new book next.
Looks like I have a lot of research to do before I go.

Thanks

Jack from SE Virginia

The treasure blog is an awesome site, I check it almost every day.

Today is the first day of the 2011 hurricane season but so far no storms headed for us down here. There are public accesses to the treasure beaches but for the most part they have private residences on the other side of the dunes. If you're going to look for any modern drops, stick close to the public accesses. There is always a "slim" chance of finding Spanish treasure on these beaches but without some serious erosion, it is a very slim chance.

Disney has a vacation resort in Vero (Wabasso) but it is probably pretty pricey. There are some bed and breakfasts' along the coast as well with a few major hotels scattered about. If it doesn't matter about staying right on the beach, you could save a few bucks by staying at a hotel a couple miles from the beach.

The best times to hunt are obviously low tides. As for the laws regarding getting in the water, leased areas are off limits for water hunting and these sites are probably located around the actual wrecks so it's probably just safer to not go in the water anywhere along the treasure coast.

While you are down here, I would suggest visiting the McLarty museum on A1A about a mile south of Sebastian Inlet and the Mel Fisher museum on US1. You'll have fun even if you don't find anything :)

Back
Top Bottom