My most odd tot-lot find

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I don't usually post my finds because I don't have many to post. Most of my finds are just clad some occasional (every 2-3 months) jewelry.

But this morning I was hunting a volley ball court that produced two pop tops. So I walked over to the tot-lot since there were not tots in residence. The age limit for this tot-lot is 5 years and under but it is not uncommon to find teens goofing around on some of the rides. First 10 minutes nothing but foil. Then got a 24-25 signal. well with my 800 thought it was a clad dime. But it was a dark penny. flipped it over to my surprise a wheat. Wow, unexpected since this tot-lot was built in the late 1980's.

Continued looking about 20 feet further, another 24-25 signal. Again thought a clad dime. To my surprise another wheat, this time a really clean one.

Got back home and found a further surprise. Both were 1956 D wheats.

what are the odds of this happening and I wonder how they got there?

Attachments

• IMG_0541.jpg
    IMG_0541.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_0542.jpg
    IMG_0542.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 314
I think that wheat's are still in Circulation a lot of times.
I really don't think the average person even looks at their change for the most part..

a few months back I was in a park where I really didn't dig anything deep at all.. and while hunting I didn't even look at my pennies at all.. just through them in my pocket. Got home and was looking them over and found a wheat in pristine condition..

Chalk it up to "Who Knows"

I don't usually post my finds because I don't have many to post. Most of my finds are just clad some occasional (every 2-3 months) jewelry.

But this morning I was hunting a volley ball court that produced two pop tops. So I walked over to the tot-lot since there were not tots in residence. The age limit for this tot-lot is 5 years and under but it is not uncommon to find teens goofing around on some of the rides. First 10 minutes nothing but foil. Then got a 24-25 signal. well with my 800 thought it was a clad dime. But it was a dark penny. flipped it over to my surprise a wheat. Wow, unexpected since this tot-lot was built in the late 1980's.

Continued looking about 20 feet further, another 24-25 signal. Again thought a clad dime. To my surprise another wheat, this time a really clean one.

Got back home and found a further surprise. Both were 1956 D wheats.

what are the odds of this happening and I wonder how they got there?

i find wheaties in tot-lots all the time. As in a couple times a MONTH.
I find too many of them for them to simply be "in circulation drops." I find more wheaties in bark, than I do the grass. Given that, there's a cause for it... personally, I think grandparents give them to the kiddos and then they lose them. 1956D wheaties are worth like what... 10-15 cents? Yet, most older folks, when they see them, will often toss them aside. Showing an old coin to a grandkid, and then giving it to them... awesome. Definitely worth "less than a quarter".

To answer the first question: What are the odds of that? 100%, actually, since it DID happen. Odds of find two same date wheaties again? Certainly not zero, but I wouldn't plan on it weekend after weekend. :)

one thing, though. check those 1956D for errors. If they are, they're worth much more. :)

Skippy

Thanks Skippy,

I will check them for errors. never thought about that.

Have you found the one ring that controls the other rings yet?

That would be the ultimate ring to find.

Congrats on the double up of wheats.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Very cool! Always love finding wheaties. Go find an even older park and let that nox earn its keep haha

Back
Top Bottom