I could use some help

reymondm5

Hey everybody. My cousin goes out to the sand dunes around the south end of Cochran county in Texas hunting for arrow heads and he found this. He says it's a bullet I just want to see what you guys think
a52f2fbb6824f0eec18972c0f17b3ea4.jpg
592ac81bba07e0d3e18a8c1c8e19b595.jpg
bd14b6968809c504913c506fe8745b9d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll second that. Looks like grapeshot.

Grapeshot was packaged up like this and shot out of cannons with devastating effect on massed troops.

800px-Grape_shot.JPG

It's possible this is a remnant of the US Army's offensive against the Comanche Indians during the 1870s. You'll have to research any specifics of the location, but a cursory search shows that the Army from the New Mexico territory operated during this time frame against the Comanches. You might search out Colonel Gordon Granger as a possible point of research. Lots of bloodshed during this time, and plenty of skirmishes/warfare that might have occurred in your area, most of it related to protecting and expanding the cattle trade as the buffalo were wiped out for hides (industry found a use for their hides in the form of leather belts for machinery, causing the price for hides to skyrocket, decimating the herds, as hunters came out west to harvest). You might very well have a piece of history, there...

Interesting, for sure!

Cheers,

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom