Old Teknetics 8500 metal detector

GregB

I purchased a Teknetic 8500 metal detector in the early 80's and haven't used it in 12 years or longer.  I tried to contact the company a few years ago and found out that they went out of business.  The battery clips have broken and need repairing.  Does anyone know where I can send it to get it repaired?  This is my first post and I'm new to the forum. Thanks, Greg :?:

Thanks spittfire. I'm trying to get back into detecting and I have a Tesoro Silver uMax but hate to just throw the Teknetics 8500 away. The Tesoro is a lot lighter and easier on the wrist than the Teknetics but the Teknetics is a good machine. Maybe Tony C will respond.

Go to Carl's Detecting Equipment forum and ask about your 8500.  There are several regulars there that can tell you how to do it.  George Payne, who designed the 8500, also posts on Carl's forum from time to time and answers any question about his detectors.

<a href="http://members5.boardhost.com/MetalDetecting/">Link: <b>Detecting Equipment forum</b></a>

Parts

Keith Wills (Willis ?) still stocks parts. He's at East Texas Metal Detectors. Plus the Bounty Hunter Mk One went back into production only a couple of years back. Its very similar to your machine so its parts should be O.K. Only trouble is I can't remember who's making it. No doubt Keith will know.

Thanks for the information Brian. It is an older machine and heavier than some of the more modern machine but it worked great. I don't want to spend a lot of money but I hate to let it just site in the closet also.

is there anyway to buy battery clips at radio shack and fix it yourself? I don't know what battery clips are, but if they are those caps for 9 volt batteries, you could probally just change them yourself.

Sorry if this is no help.

The Teknetics had 14 or 18 AA batteries with batteries hooked up in series.  The clips were between the different batteries.  I may check and see if Radio Shack would have something like that might work.  It's actually quite an investment to buy that many rechargable batteries. Thanks.

GregB said:
The Teknetics had 14 or 18 AA batteries with batteries hooked up in series. The clips were between the different batteries. I may check and see if Radio Shack would have something like that might work. It's actually quite an investment to buy that many rechargable batteries. Thanks.
Couldn't you just buy a powerpack and hook that up to it?

I might could try that. I'm not very electronically gifted though!

Back
Top Bottom