Detector for a trip to Bermuda

woodsrider

The wife talked me into going on a trip to Bermuda in the fall. So I had to explain to her that I'm going to need a new water detector for the trip. She didn't complain to much before giving in. So now the question is what would be the best machine to get. Told her I wouldn't spend more than $1500. It needs to be something I can also use in the local freshwater here in Michigan. I'm thinking an Excalibur or cz21. If anyone has detected there and has any suggestions please feel free to give your two cents.

I've been to Bermuda a couple times. There are only a few public beaches, as most of the Real Estate is now private property. If your staying at a resort, you may get some ground to cover. I love my Excal, and don't have any experience with the CZ. Good luck.....:yes:

I'm still trying to process the fact that your wife had to talk you into a trip to Bermuda lol

I'm still trying to process the fact that your wife had to talk you into a trip to Bermuda lol

I know it sounds weird but I like colder climates myself. I like standing in a river fishing when it's 25 degrees outside rather than fun in the sun. I'm sure as I get older I might appreciate the sun more.

I know it sounds weird but I like colder climates myself. I like standing in a river fishing when it's 25 degrees outside rather than fun in the sun. I'm sure as I get older I might appreciate the sun more.

Almont....you happen to know the Kincade family? I moved from Shelby 5-years ago and had a lot of friends in the area.

Anyhow, both are great machines and in auto mode the differences are negligible. Also, I'd opt for the larger 10" coil as it will help you cover more ground and gain more depth than the 8". For pure depth, the Excal can be switched to P/P and gain an extra 40-50% depth....some users even claim they can hit a quarter at over 15". So for depth, the win goes to the Excal.

The Fisher takes the win on durability. Its rugged and the controls are designed different so you don't have to be as gentle with the machine. In contrast, I recommend buying a knob guard for the excal so you don't accidently, bump and crack a knob or the case.

Ergonomics...bleh...the factory setup stinks on both units. Yes, you can remove the CZ housing and hip mount it or throw it in a backpack but I still don't like the feel. The Excal you could do the same, but honestly, if you buy the long, straight shaft, you can mount the controls behind/above the elbow and it darn near balances the weight perfectly. With that setup you'll have less fatigue and find swinging much more enjoyable.

Price....not sure what a dealer will do on a new CZ buy my authorized ML dealer sells the Excal for under $1,200 delivered. You can then run down to Sunspot's factory near Oakland mall and pickup a Stealth 720 scoop and still be well under your $1,500 budget. BTW, stealth is warranteed for life and Chuck (owner) gives the forum folks a couple of bucks discount. Just ask! http://www.stealthscoop.com/

Almont....you happen to know the Kincade family? I moved from Shelby 5-years ago and had a lot of friends in the area.

Anyhow, both are great machines and in auto mode the differences are negligible. Also, I'd opt for the larger 10" coil as it will help you cover more ground and gain more depth than the 8". For pure depth, the Excal can be switched to P/P and gain an extra 40-50% depth....some users even claim they can hit a quarter at over 15". So for depth, the win goes to the Excal.

The Fisher takes the win on durability. Its rugged and the controls are designed different so you don't have to be as gentle with the machine. In contrast, I recommend buying a knob guard for the excal so you don't accidently, bump and crack a knob or the case.

Ergonomics...bleh...the factory setup stinks on both units. Yes, you can remove the CZ housing and hip mount it or throw it in a backpack but I still don't like the feel. The Excal you could do the same, but honestly, if you buy the long, straight shaft, you can mount the controls behind/above the elbow and it darn near balances the weight perfectly. With that setup you'll have less fatigue and find swinging much more enjoyable.

Price....not sure what a dealer will do on a new CZ buy my authorized ML dealer sells the Excal for under $1,200 delivered. You can then run down to Sunspot's factory near Oakland mall and pickup a Stealth 720 scoop and still be well under your $1,500 budget. BTW, stealth is warranteed for life and Chuck (owner) gives the forum folks a couple of bucks discount. Just ask! http://www.stealthscoop.com/

Thanks for the advice I appreciate. My wife said she graduated with a chuck kincade. I went to Romeo then moved to Almont after I got married. Small world! Thanks again

Thanks for the advice I appreciate. My wife said she graduated with a chuck kincade. I went to Romeo then moved to Almont after I got married. Small world! Thanks again

Chuck, yeah!! Chuck and I rode bikes together (He is superman and I'm Santa). His sister, Christie, rides too. What's your wife's name? Small, small world.

There are lots of forum folks that take their detectors with them on trips. I usually disassemble and pack mine in a carry on...but bring a copy of the manual in case the TSA agent isn't familiar with the device. You can pack your scoop in your luggage, but you'll have to get creative on the handle. I had a 2-piece aluminum handle made by a boat shop that fabricates bimini tops. Maybe Sunspot has something? Anyhow, if you have any other questions, just ask.

-David

Attachments

• bike3.jpg
    bike3.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 111
Back
Top Bottom