Marietta Ga city parks used to allow metal detecting, now they don't. Just only in playgrounds

hellomikie92

Here is an email I got from the recreation service manager:

Michael,

Your email was forwarded to me because this issue has come up from time to time. Our concern is not with people using metal detectors but with the excavation of the detected metals. Holes and scrapings are detrimental to the landscaping in the parks. Your email is the first I’ve received that preemptively addressed this issue and I believe that you would probably made a concerted effort to leave a park in better shape than when you arrived. However, if we set a precedent of allowing metal detecting we are effectively opening our parks up for this activity by anyone who wants to do it and as you know many people are not as conscientious as you when it comes to preserving our parks. For this reason I cannot permit any metal detecting in our parks.

You may use your metal detector in our playgrounds as long as the playground is not crowded at the time, you do not interfere with anyone using the playground, and any disruption to the playground surface (ours are all wood chips) is smoothed over.

Sincerely,

Michael Gabler

Recreation Service Manager

A big disappointment, I hate people that doesn't fill in their holes, Thats why there is a lot of restrictions. It also sickens me.........

Its a pretty old city, Guess I only have to do the private property, permission asking, around there.

Sad to say HM, you just got the recreation service managers "personal" decision. He will stand by that until death or he has no job there anymore. If there isn't any law or ordinance against it, it's open to you and the public as long as you or the general public are not destroying property. Half or more of Marietta's park are about as run down and drug infested as you can get. Even the cops won't go to some of them. Great places to run a detector!

Sad to say HM, you just got the recreation service managers "personal" decision. He will stand by that until death or he has no job there anymore. If there isn't any law or ordinance against it, it's open to you and the public as long as you or the general public are not destroying property. Half or more of Marietta's park are about as run down and drug infested as you can get. Even the cops won't go to some of them. Great places to run a detector!

Yeah you're right. I take you metal detected in Marietta before? So just metal detect anyway? Plus I sent the email to the director, but got a response from the manager.

Yeah you're right. I take you metal detected in Marietta before? So just metal detect anyway? Plus I sent the email to the director, but got a response from the manager.

Follow your heart.......... What you don't want, is what a lot of us are getting to, is a law on the books against it. You will find out most all of the public employees really do not know. They just do not know. Here's a good example of what goes on. Last year I walked into the Parks and Recreation managers of the county next to my counties office. I was actually asking about 2 parks that are not listed on the P&R website. They said there was no such park. Well after about 15 minutes he calls the guy that should know, they upkeep the parks. The grounds mgr. He says there is no such parks that he knows of. Well the county actually owned two nice pieces of property that had no upkeep in a while and was secluded that I found through research. Both were very old parks. No one goes there, they were totally both fenced in with only one access gate. Different parts of the city, they didn't even know they owned or were responsible for......... You know who gave me permission to go inside the fenced properties? The P&R managers secretary! She looked at her boss and said I don't see no harm, she was a good looking woman and he agreed. You actually see who makes a lot of decisions now. Wrote me a permission slip and gave me her card. They had while I was there gotten the facts that it was theirs and that the guy that would know for sure retired decades ago. That reminds me, I need to go back to one of those. Only had a 20 minute hunt before rain, it had a swimming pool and a changing house, long since gone. Got it off a post card that was scanned into historic county records.
Then the search was on........................................:D

Follow your heart.......... What you don't want, is what a lot of us are getting to, is a law on the books against it. You will find out most all of the public employees really do not know. They just do not know. Here's a good example of what goes on. Last year I walked into the Parks and Recreation managers of the county next to my counties office. I was actually asking about 2 parks that are not listed on the P&R website. They said there was no such park. Well after about 15 minutes he calls the guy that should know, they upkeep the parks. The grounds mgr. He says there is no such parks that he knows of. Well the county actually owned two nice pieces of property that had no upkeep in a while and was secluded that I found through research. Both were very old parks. No one goes there, they were totally both fenced in with only one access gate. Different parts of the city, they didn't even know they owned or were responsible for......... You know who gave me permission to go inside the fenced properties? The P&R managers secretary! She looked at her boss and said I don't see no harm, she was a good looking woman and he agreed. You actually see who makes a lot of decisions now. Wrote me a permission slip and gave me her card. They had while I was there gotten the facts that it was theirs and that the guy that would know for sure retired decades ago. That reminds me, I need to go back to one of those. Only had a 20 minute hunt before rain, it had a swimming pool and a changing house, long since gone. Got it off a post card that was scanned into historic county records.
Then the search was on........................................:D

What do you mean by that? Yeah I have noticed that most city employees doesn't know. I mean they will say no, just for the heck of it, especially if you email. However I do admit that I have gotten permission to hunt parks through email., so thats something to be thankful for. Also I am the only person in Cobb County Georgia with a metal detector, well it seems like it. lol

However, that was nice of the lady to give you permission, after you got told no many times. I will however, still get permission, but I will also risk it, especially if there is a no trespassing sign, or keep out sign. Is that how most metal detectorists, gets tons of good stuff, because they don't ask, only on private properties? Get this Paulding county Georgia doesn't want anybody metal detecting on their parks, not even in playgrounds, is that absurd or what? lol

What do you mean by that? Yeah I have noticed that most city employees doesn't know. I mean they will say no, just for the heck of it, especially if you email. However I do admit that I have gotten permission to hunt parks through email., so thats something to be thankful for. Also I am the only person in Cobb County Georgia with a metal detector, well it seems like it. lol

However, that was nice of the lady to give you permission, after you got told no many times. I will however, still get permission, but I will also risk it, especially if there is a no trespassing sign, or keep out sign. Is that how most metal detectorists, gets tons of good stuff, because they don't ask, only on private properties? Get this Paulding county Georgia doesn't want anybody metal detecting on their parks, not even in playgrounds, is that absurd or what? lol

I will also follow my heart.

Well trust me, you are not the only one in Cobb with a detector. There's quite a few, a lot! I know several................

Well the ones on this site at least. lol I mean I have not yet found a metal detector buddy.

There are lot's of them up there. If you want to find them fill the vehicle up and start riding around new pushed up dirt downtown late in the afternoons after work and early on weekend mornings. They actually don't want anyone to know whats going on............................... you're getting the picture now. Although when you find them, you'll see, well in my experience anyway. The shovels and such and how most will leave a place like that is the reason you will get a no from a lot of people in the construction business. Big shovels, partially unfilled holes, looks like hogs rooting for that almighty relic or button and you will see it with your own eye's. I've watched it happen here on several places. Probably some of the most outstanding ground around. Ruined in 2 weeks. No is the answer now. IOW some are ruining there own lifestyle/hobby. Makes me sick:mad:

Marietta Cobb county

The North GA club has a hunt scheduled in Marietta at the park across form the horse park.

I am not a member yet, nor do I own a detector yet. I am a contractor, saw a great site off Williams/cherokee street...however it was fenced in completely also saw a great local...two...if i can help...and borrow a machine would be interested in going hunting anytime!

I also purchase a rehab many properties around town. I have not asked ny clients yet,.... since I do not have a machine.

I will get a machine very soon...looking at the Garrett ace and the excal II...probably just buy the excal...shouldbe able to use it in GA Clay....from what I have read and been told...just need to convert the unit to a hip/belt mount.

I'd be interested in the Marietta hunt! I'm a newbie in Kennesaw and have no one to dig with around here. How do I find out more?

I lived in Marrietta, Kennesaw and Dallas, Ga.
Never had a problem detecting parks, schools (if not fenced in), etc.
There were two clubs in the Atlanta area and there's more detectorists than you might imagine living there as well. There are a number of Marrietta and Cobb County Policemen who also enjoy detecting, that are good to know.

I hate the dry hard soil when it gets hot out. I did not enjoy the sodd'd lawns with reinforced nylon mesh. Took forever to dig out a penny.

All I got to say is sometimes it is better not to ask a employee and fallow the laws on the book. And there are NONE on the book for this.

NEVER EVER ask for permission for a public park. Since you received that email, if you go back there and hunt any place other than the playground, you will surely be harassed. If you didnt send the email, you could have shown up there and hunted anywhere. If there is no laws on the books, then no one can approach you. The more we ask, the more likely laws will be drawn up where no laws currently exist. Ive been doing this since the early 80's and have only been chased from two public parks. Its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. IMO

abjames, this post is several year's old. The OP's probably not following it anymore.

PS: I liked Jimzilla's reply. Yup, a classic case of "no one cared TILL you asked".

Well less competition I guess....

I metal detect over that way occasionally.

Never saw signs saying no, so I will keep doing as I've done.

Caught by the old post revival.... Lmao

Back
Top Bottom