Detecting along the I & M Canal Question

I believe it was, since there's a few areas that forest preserve has golf courses in them. But again it is speculation,that that specific person was believed to be the cause of them banning detectors. And after personally seeing him within the bounds of the city golf course in Jackson park, makes me believe it could of been. I met the guy once at a Chicago beach , before I knew of who he was ,and he seemed like a shady character to me then !!

1 person not abiding by the metal detecting code of ethics makes every one of us look bad. For a few this is a way to make as much money as they can. For most of us it is the thrill of the find, even though it is not worth a monetary value. I found a beat up matchbox car from 1966. It is displayed on my dresser. I recovered a $10,000 wedding band for a man who told me his wife lost it 3 years ago. Found it the next day and returned it to the wife, who was ecstatic. I refused any reward, but accepted a hug. Her reaction at seeing it was worth finding it and refusing any money. But it is little things like that that make every diehard MD'er look good. We are all ambassadors for the hobby. If you don't want to follow the code of ethics, you don't belong in the hobby. The bans may be a pain, but don't break the rules. It is better to just try to get bans lifted by voicing our opinions and showing we respect where we dig.

Here in Canastota NY. The entire length of the Erie Canal was just posted as a historic preserve. And it states that no removal of any artifacts or plants. No disturbing the ground. But if You can find a stretch of the canal and get permission then it is allowed. We also have a large amount of state forest that have a large number of cellar foundations on them. It is legal to hunt camp but metal detecting is not allowed.

Back
Top Bottom