• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Tone choice?

cobb05

Hello all! I just received my new fisher f75 and I'm amazed at how nice it is. My biggest fear that it would be too chatty have been erased completely! No EMI problems at ALL. I've been out now probably 4 or 5 times to my local baseball field to get a good feel for it and see where the numbers fall for different coins and the such. I wanted to get input from everyone as to what tone choice they prefer. I did a lot of reading before I got it and wanted to try out the DP tones. I really liked it but I can pick up on small changes in pitch when the numbers change from say 81 to 82. That little bit of change is enough to make me not like the signal as much as say if its in 4 tones. In 4 tones 82 to 83 change doesn't result in a different tone. Say for a quarter that tone is solid. In dp tones the tone is good but the slight fluctuation in pitch just makes my brain wonder. Seemed like I was more confidant in what I was going to pull out with 4 tone vs dp. Hearing what your detector is telling you is just like learning a new language!! Really fascinated by it.
Lets hear your tone setups. Interested in how everyone else brains' work

On my F70 I used 4H for a long time but because I think it is the fastest and most responsive and the best choice for hunting in my mineralized and iron infested environment in disc I usually use 1, monotone and 1 or 0 when in disc.
All other times I use all metal and maxed out thresh and gain.

Thats I've been using. However I can't decide if I like 4 tones or 4H better. It really threw me for a loop when my nickel reading was giving me that high tone. At first I thought the number reading was just off and was expecting to pull out a quarter or dime but nope. Pulled a nickel just like it said. Then I remembered I was in 4H. Not sure if that is an advantage or not. I need to explore more and see if any other items in the nickel range would cause it to sing high like that or if its only when it for sure knows whats there.

Thats I've been using. However I can't decide if I like 4 tones or 4H better. It really threw me for a loop when my nickel reading was giving me that high tone. At first I thought the number reading was just off and was expecting to pull out a quarter or dime but nope. Pulled a nickel just like it said. Then I remembered I was in 4H. Not sure if that is an advantage or not. I need to explore more and see if any other items in the nickel range would cause it to sing high like that or if its only when it for sure knows whats there.

Anything in the nickel range will come in high in 3H or 4H, it is an advantage if you like to find a lot of nickels or nickel area gold.
I never had problems finding nickels with any of my detectors but when I started using 4H the volume of nickels I found soared.
Most of us are just attuned to notice that high tone better than the lower ones, or that is what I believe, anyway.

This is what happened on my 4th hunt with my F70.
I used 4H for several months because I came from an F2 and it was comfortable listening to those tones and the ability to switch the nickel area to high tones was a genius move by the engineer that invented it.
I believe that because I am a gold hunter at my core.

I did not have a handle on the power of this thing at all yet at the time, things were jumpy but I was still digging good targets at a great pace anyway along with the trash but not all targets by any means.
This was a picnic area I had hunted many times before with many detectors and coils and extremely trashy.
The numbers over this thing flashed by quick due to a piece of trash like foil or small can slaw right next to this hole from low 20's to low 30's.
A big range and I usually would have dismissed the whole thing as trash except for two things...with a small movement of the coil in the exact right area I saw 31-33 numbers repeat a few times but more that that it was the quick high tone I kept hearing on my passes.
It was quick but still solid, to this day I credit that high tone for triggering my digging instinct on this one because I was not looking at the screen and I stopped and went back to examine this signal further only after I heard that high tone...I might have noticed this if it came in as a normal mid tone but that high tone stopped me in my tracks for sure.

When quick-brooming parks and areas for coins and jewelry I still switch to 4H even today.

Attachments

• P1040874.jpg
    P1040874.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
"Interested in how everybody elses brain works" eh? :laughing::laughing:

Well, you came to the right place! Lots of different brains here! We all process things differently with our CPUs...Ears are tuned differently, signals processed differently etc...Yeah...I have an F70 that has an abundance of tone options to sniff through to find "The One" that makes the most sense to what I have to work with...

I run in DP....exclusively..7yrs now? I hunt clad and jewelry and really enjoy hearing everything...its like an Xray vision down into the dirt, and tells me a lot about a place...even the depth of the pay streak with the proportional audio combined....so from the very first ping, a guy immediately recognizes what the target generally is without looking at the screen....("Thats a Q at 3") ("Theres a Dime in the grass) etc....

For me, Its a very fast and fun way to hunt running Full Audio..shallow targets in modern parks/sportsfields/totters, super fast and accurate to 5".
50 sens, 4 disc, -3 thresh, DP tones is what I generally run...

You should experiment and find the Audio for you, as well as what you enjoy hunting for...if you are in the right area that holds deeper silver, of course this would not be the correct kind of settings..they are a good start though, to evaluate a place quickly...its like an extension of my brain, natural, and I dont even have to think about it, which for me is good...:laughing:

well went back out today for a little while. I definitely like the 4H tone the best! No doubt my nickel finds are soaring compared to using my M6! That high tone in that low to mid range really helps your ears perk up and not think twice about passing up on a target that i may have in the past. Now that I'm starting to learn where each coin falls and what tabs/can slaw sound like, I'm ready to start getting some permissions to hunt me some old coins!

Back
Top Bottom