Short Hunt In My Yard

AnthonyT

I've been going out in my yard (we have a farm so the yard is large) and trying to get familiar with my detector again. Been quite a while since I have been detecting seriously. I am using an old Troy Shadow X2 so its not as cool as the newer detectors but it does find metal. Right now I'm just trying to learn what things sound like and what discrimination and sensitivity settings work best. I have yet to find a coin of any type in the yard, but I'm killing it on rifle brass. Today in less than an hour I found a 22lr case, 2 .223 cases, 2 .308 military manufacture cases, a 30-06 case, a 9mm bullet, and a few chunks or iron and an old screw top to a glass milk jug. I'm definitely digging a lot less trash than I was (I consider the brass and bullets good finds).

Attachments

• MD5-14-2020.jpg
    MD5-14-2020.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 342
keep at it, learn and then start expanding your locations. You will soon be looking at places as you drive down the road and almost break your neck when you see an old brick chimney standing by itself way out in a field

welcome to the addiction

There is a school just up the road from me I think I'm going to try this weekend. There is a small mulched playground there I figure will have some clad coins and maybe some cheap bling in it.

I have a farm *yard* too, and I rarely hunt it. As best I can tell, an addition was put on in the 70's and the fill from the excavation was spread around the house, burying the old soil layer by a foot or more. Add to that all the aluminum pieces that were discarded when they were fitting the eves and soffits that ring up in the coin area, and it's mostly a waste of time. I've found a few Lincoln Memorial pennies, but that's it. The barn and machine shed area are loaded with iron. I even find odd iron bits in the middle of the hay fields, which make me think "why?" Hit the school, it will probably be more satisfying.

I know they dozed the old farm house at some point - straight down the hill and into the creek :shock: Tons of household junk and bricks down in the creek channel - and plenty of used insulin syringes... Lots of junk in the yard from that and backfill and from where they dozed out all the trees. There are random spots where the fill doesn't seem to have covered and you find some interesting things, but no coins.

Went to the school and they have the entire place closed off so it is a no go for now.

Easy to get rusty with the detector

Like bowling or fishing, takes a bit to sharpen the skills when absent for a while!

Tom
:cool3:

Clammer, I live in south central KY, sort of the Mammoth Cave area.

Went out this afternoon for a quick look at the area I found those hinges in. Not too far away I found another half of a hinge. Went down the hill from that and got an old an old zinc canning jar lid. Kept creeping down the bank and got a strong signal. Not only was it strong but I could tell whatever it was had a long, narrow shape. Figured it was iron but dug it anyway. This is what I dug up. Looks to be a blade of some sort, but that is just a guess on my part. I'm finding relic type things but would so love to turn up an old coin or silver. People lived here, worked here and obviously lost things here. I just need to figure out where they spent the most time. Still no tot-lot detecting here, they are all still closed and have six foot hazard fence around them.

Attachments

• MysteryMetal2.jpg
    MysteryMetal2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 138
  • MysteryMetal1.jpg
    MysteryMetal1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 133
Back
Top Bottom