Missed Opportunities

Lee1968

Elite Member
So I got a recent permission for a house I know existed on maps in the 1870's. My brother rented the place years ago before I got into metal detecting. When I showed up recently, the house was abandoned, and there was trash and weeds literally everywhere. I couldn't move the detector without it beeping constantly. It was a mess. Another house I missed was my son's old place. It was an old schoolhouse in the 1890's and converted into a home. Of course this was before I got into metal detecting too. He has since moved into a modern subdivision, and I missed my chance at the old place. :(
Now I am looking at maps and doing mounds of research to find places, when I had 2 all myself, and now it is too late!

.... I couldn't move the detector without it beeping constantly....

This is the curse of md'ing a place that ...... despite the early/old age .... is a continuous usage place. Especially if the current usage is "blighted". Then it simply doesn't matter how much colorful history went on previously.

This is why, when I do research of past stage stops and such, it's extremely important as to whether any modern day activity has occurred there. If all human influence ended @ 1900 ........... WONDERFUL.

Another end-run around the dilemma is if current tractor/demolition work is poised to remove the top 6" of soil :p

Roofers use a magnetic roller to recover loose nails off the ground.

If there is a lot of aluminum/bottle caps I would pass.

Roofers use a magnetic roller to recover loose nails off the ground.

If there is a lot of aluminum/bottle caps I would pass.

Interesting idea with the magnetic roller, those might be expensive, but you could always try getting powerful magnets out of broken microwaves and pull them across the ground.

Edit to add: I'd recommend putting the magnets in a thick plastic bag as tiny bits of metal and filings can be tough to get off of those powerful magnets.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom