Another Nox Problem

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
Figures I would have another problem with the Equinox. As most of you know I dive with the critter even though it is very hard to hear. I keep the short shaft on it and the headphones attached so I can charge it and go.

Yesterday I was going to let someone use it. I took off the headphones and turned it on. It worked, but it was so quiet it sounded like you were listening to headphones that were off your ears. I did a factory reset, turned it off and on a bunch of times and turned the volume up and down a bunch. Nothing.

Today before I called Minelab, I turned it on again. Works fine. I am thinking that when you plug the headphones in it separates the connection for the internal speaker. When I unplugged them, the connection didn't get reestablished. No clue.

Minelab was notified. Will see what they think is the problem.

Minelab gave me a RMA. Said they would look at it. Told me it might not be covered under warranty because of aftermarket headphones?

I didn't use it for the 10 days my grandchildren were here. I left the headphones plugged in. My thought is the socket didn't reconnect the contacts after I pulled the jack out. I guess we will see the outcome soon.

I got my Equinox 800 last week... the only issue I’ve been experiencing, after using it twice, has to do with volume too. I noticed that when I switch to pinpoint mode, the volume drops dramatically while using the Minelab Bluetooth headphones. I can fix it by switching back into detect mode and then again back into pinpoint mode. So, in order to pinpoint I have to switch from detect to pinpoint back to detect then back to pinpoint before the volume normalizes. I told my wife last night, that I’m reluctant to buy any waterproof headphones until a larger company i.e. Gray Ghost, SunRay, etc. make them. I’m not trying to cast doubt on any of the quality made headphones being sold but I just need a little more of (hopefully) guarantee that a larger company offers to protect me against defects and the damage it may cause. As far as the official Minelab waterproof headphones, I honestly feel that I’d probably prefer an aforementioned after-market manufacturer if my past experiences hold true, should they offer a waterproof headphone for the Equinox. I hope these problems are all resolved in your best interest.
Best of luck,
Gerry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guess I'll just leave my waterproof headphones plugged in indefintely :)

Like you said Scuba, maybe some issues with the female contacts/sensor resetting, doubt that was part of any test they did, they probably expect the headphones to be removed after each hunt. Thanks for the info.

Extra nox protection?

Once I get my WP headphones squared away correctly they'll probably stay on for a while. Question - are any of you that are leaving the WP headphones on using some type of lubricant/sealant/dielectric grease when connecting the headphones to add an extra level of protection from water intrusion?

Once I get my WP headphones squared away correctly they'll probably stay on for a while. Question - are any of you that are leaving the WP headphones on using some type of lubricant/sealant/dielectric grease when connecting the headphones to add an extra level of protection from water intrusion?

When I msg'ed Tony about silicone spray he said not to bother. I rinse my machine off well after every hunt and will lookout for any green corrosion build up around the adapters.

I spray the plug in hole with fresh water. After the 3 year warranty is up i will quit doing that:lol:

i agree with carribeanson my troubles usually come from female contact

I have had the pinpoint volume go very low/soft right after a loud pinpoint signal, but it still pinpoints. I like this feature - saves on ear drum damage. I thought it was a great idea for the pinpoint audio to do this. I also love the pinpoint lock on/turn off. It is especially helpful in the winter waters when I wear gauntlet gloves which makes it is difficult to push buttons. NO PROBLEM for me, if it is indeed a problem and not hard set in the detector's firmware. In fact I would prefer an adjustable volume for the pinpoint audio.

Minelab gave me a RMA. Said they would look at it. Told me it might not be covered under warranty because of aftermarket headphones?
Best to tell them the Koss yellows for the equinox appeared to be OK:lol:
You read my mind!

I've had a few underwater runs with my 800. Only thing I noticed is shaft stuff became a lil' loose. fingers crossed.

ML can only do so much testing. Its great that we can use social media to share info and create awareness. No doubt ML will implement a solution, but there are still places (Kellyco :roll:) that have folks on extended back orders. Thinking we might get the gen-2 NOX before they fulfill their first set of orders. :lol:

Ob - nox - tious

My screen started fading to the point that I couldn't read it anymore. Turned it off and on and it seemed to come back for a few minutes. That's when I noticed it... water behind the glass. NOX was drowned! Called Minelab and they issued an RMA with free shipping. Sent it in and one week later it's back. I never mentioned that I was using aftermarket headphones, just said that it leaked somewhere. Never did get a corrective action from them as to where the leak occurred. No Charge.

My question is the small gasket the seals the headphone jack is where I think it would have leaked. What are some of your thoughts??? I've noticed that the threads on the jack have a small flat spot on them, is this the culprit? I'm worried that I may have a repeat performance.

Back
Top Bottom