Lighting

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
Its that time of the year for us Fl people. I was hunting Sunday and read in the paper today that someone was killed on the same beach i left about an hour later. Lighting is one of those HAND GRENADES......just has to get close. Raining season right now so keep an eye on the clouds and be safe. Oh.... an no i didnt find anything worth dying for.

That death was too close to home. Lightening here is very dangerous. And we carry our lightening rods around with us!

Fastest way I know to get me off the beach. My detector starts to tell me about lightning well before I even notice the dark clouds. I have an aversion to dying so I head for the car as soon as I realize what is happening. Just can not see becoming a crispy critter out on the beach with a lightning rod in my hand. Plus it would upset my wife.

Yea I'm pretty paranoid about lightning on the beach. Stats about lightning range from a storm and "how to survive" episodes start playing through my head :roll::grin: I'm usually overly cautious about leaving when it comes to thunderstorms.

I was 50 foot away from this strike. I had just laid down on the couch for a nap and was almost asleep when BOOOOOOOOOOOOM, followed by the sound of falling gravel. It really ruined my nap, but I got off easy compared to the neighbor, he lost damn near everything that was plugged in, plus a bunch of damage to the houses wiring.
lightnin 2.jpg

lightnung.jpg

I did a google search on people killed by lighting. I couldn't find anything..

But seriously... Be careful people~

Its that time of the year for us Fl people. I was hunting Sunday and read in the paper today that someone was killed on the same beach i left about an hour later. Lighting is one of those HAND GRENADES......just has to get close. Raining season right now so keep an eye on the clouds and be safe. Oh.... an no i didnt find anything worth dying for.

You are right Dew. I wish I were always one to take good advice. I'dve continued hunting when I could see the lightning. Having a good day can quickly turn into a bad day when a thunderstorms arises. But I'm a 25 watt in a 100 watt world. I push my luck on a lot of things. Yes and I agree! It's not smart to do so.

Last edited:
You are right Felix. I wish I were always one to take good advice. I'dve continued hunting when I could see the lightning. Having a good day can quickly turn into a bad day when a thunderstorms arises. But I'm a 25 watt in a 100 watt world. I push my luck on a lot of things. Yes and I agree! It's not smart to do so.

Sort of Reminds me of the Bishop on Caddy Shack having the Game of his life in the lightning and Rain that is until he cursed Cursed God.. that didn't end well for the Bishop..

Attachments

• DependentIcyGermanshepherd-max-1mb.jpg
    DependentIcyGermanshepherd-max-1mb.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 305
Here is a great app for the phone, It's been a big help! I can see it coming hundreds of miles away and just about time it when combined with Doppler radar. Really needed if your out on the ski and several miles from the boat ramp.

http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map=30

Now if I could get thru this jury duty week and get all back to normal!:waiting:

Back in the 80's the old Nautilus detectors would alert you to approaching thunderstorms while they were many miles away by the static in the headphones.

I've had lightning strike within 20ft of me at least four times now.. One of the times an arc jumped from my hand 6 inches through the air to a keypad on a door I was about to go in, I sort of count that as being struck.. Another time I was in a 20ft boat that was hit on the radio antenna (radio was smoked).. Another time was a lamp pole 8ft away...

Most recent was this Tulip tree right outside my bedroom window.. A month ago.. Fried all sorts of things inside the house, nothing too important, but phone chargers, modem, and I'm sure there's more to discover.. Blew the bark right off it!

I still ain't scared! Bring it!

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20180626_183203.jpg
    IMG_20180626_183203.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 303
Cool Fact : Men are 6 times more likely to be stuck by Lighting than Women

Don't tell me that Mother Nature is not a female.

I've had a strike somewhere on my house or nearby fry the HDMI inputs of 3 TV's and some HDMI switch boxes.

I stay completely submerged in a storm. It makes my headphones crackle which is a bit unnerving but I just act like a fish until storms pass. I have been under water for some major ones including a tornado.

Back
Top Bottom