Found a Plat Again.... where's the gold?

Numil

Elite Member
As you may have heard, I don't get out detecting like I used since I made the decision to go back to teaching for a while, but did manage to hit the beach for 3 hours this morning.

Not expecting to find much I did come up with a nice 5.7g ring of Pt950. It also has 7 small brilliant cut diamonds. This is clearly some women's wedding band. its a pretty little ring even if it doesn't fit, not even a little bit on my pinkie.

The ring is engraved inside with a date (assuming the wedding), the first initials of the bride and groom. It also has what appears to be a serial number. The serial number is a new one for me. The maker is Chaumet, a French company based in Paris. Looking up any retailers close by who may sell this brand I found that there are none I could find in the U.S.A. Go figure, no good deed goes unpunished.

To make a long story short, I sent an email to the Chaumet company asking if they put serial numbers on their rings. I'm thinking this cold be some after market engraving which would be meaningless to me. I'm waiting to hear back from them. If they respond positively I'll treat it as a class ring and get it back to the owner.

Anyone else encounter this before? Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting.

Attachments

• Plat RIng.jpg
    Plat RIng.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 391
  • PLat RIng2.jpg
    PLat RIng2.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 375
Congrats and I have never seen a serial number in a ring. Hope you get a workable answer to find the owner. Nice ring.

If it becomes yours, I wouldn't complain too much it wasn't gold!

Thanks for sharing

NIce little ring with some of that Plat weight!! They can be small and still be as heavy as a big gold..Love it!!

Well that's just messed up. Platinum and no gold. What a ripoff! :lol:

Although, last I looked gold price was just about the same as platinum.

:dingding: Nice going!

...its a pretty little ring even if it doesn't fit, not even a little bit on my pinkie.

I believe you're not putting in enough effort into making it fit. Send it to me I'll show you all how it fits!! :laughing:

Sweet Platt, WTG!!
I've heard of GIA certified diamonds with a serial number, but not a serial number inscribed inside the ring....maybe Its a phone #,LOL.
Nice gesture on your part in the owner search. GL
DL

Very nice! Wouldn't complain about not finding gold, if you're finding Plat.... ;)

Congrats and I have never seen a serial number in a ring. Hope you get a workable answer to find the owner. Nice ring.

If it becomes yours, I wouldn't complain too much it wasn't gold!

Thanks for sharing

Thanks Scuba.... after emailing the maker about the serial number in the ring they're going to contact the owner if possible and I'll return it.

Those Wet Ones sure come in handy I'll say! Congrats on the Plat!

Thanks Ground! GG & HH

I'll take Plat over Au any day

I think Plat is an ugly metal. It has it uses but doing think bling is one of them. Nice to find i'll give you that.

Sweet ring- congrats!:yes:

Thanks Compass

NIce little ring with some of that Plat weight!! They can be small and still be as heavy as a big gold..Love it!!

Thanks OBN... I think thats more due to the fact plat comes in a higher purity. mostly 90 or 95% which makes it heavier.

Well that's just messed up. Platinum and no gold. What a ripoff! :lol:

Although, last I looked gold price was just about the same as platinum.

I agree... what's this world coming to... Thanks Detector

sweetness!!!!

Thanks Metal

:dingding: Nice going!

I believe you're not putting in enough effort into making it fit. Send it to me I'll show you all how it fits!! :laughing:

Crossed my mind but nah!.. Think I'll be returning ti soon as I heard back from the company about the serial number engraved inside the band. Treating it more like Class Ring return since they had the forethought to get that serial number put in there.

Congrats on the plat and ice there Numil!

Thanks71

Congrats on the Plat. I to have never seen a serial number in a ring

Its my first as well with a serial number engraved on it. Heard from the maker this morning and looks like it will be a return soon. Hope the tourists are still here in the islands. would make the return a lot easier than sending it overseas.

Sweet Platt, WTG!!
I've heard of GIA certified diamonds with a serial number, but not a serial number inscribed inside the ring....maybe Its a phone #,LOL.
Nice gesture on your part in the owner search. GL
DL

Heard from the jeweler today and its a serial number alright. Looks like it will be returned soon. I'll post when I do to let ya'all know how it goes.

Very nice! Wouldn't complain about not finding gold, if you're finding Plat.... ;)

Like my 5th Plat ring this summer and barely that many gold. I never should have taken this job teaching. Should have stayed on the beach detecting. Oh well, I'll get back to it next summer for sure. Good luck out there Vermonster

Back
Top Bottom