• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Help with ground balancing on Master Hunter

B

bgil

I am an experienced mineral collector, but an absolute newbie to using metal detectors. This summer I will be mineral collecting in Oregon and Nevada. I was inspired by an internet article on using a metal detector to find gold specimens, and purchased a used Garrett Master Hunter CX. I understand that this is not a state of the art prospecting machine. However, given that it has a ground balancing adjustment, it is supposed to be capable of finding gold. There's the rub. I have been practicing with it in my backyard, but I cannot seem to get the ground balancing capablity properly adjusted. I have tried it over concrete and lawn, and followed all the directions in the manual. I turned the knobs on the side all the way counterclockwise, push the "all metal" button, position the disk, and then depress in the "all metal" button until I get two beeps. I then get a low background hum, which I assume is OK, but also lots of apparently false louder "beeps" when I move the detector. And on almost every swing. Any suggestions? Thanks.

If you have truly done all that then maybe you have a defective unit.

Back
Top Bottom