Basic Requirements for headphones

bullofspadez

Looking to get a set and would like to know the minimum requirements...i see that some are "made" for MDing and some are just headphones...so saying i am looking for a set with good frequency variation and a volume control with a 1/4inch stereo jack. Does this meet the requirements...so i can just find a pair that have these features?

looking for the lower spectrum of price range...like Koss or just something that is made for stereos but can work with MDs... i was just referring to reading other posts and wondering if those are the main focus of headphones...good sound, frequency and in line volume control. instead of getting the bulky muffs...

I hear 30 ohms or better are good. Mine are cheap, but they work.

I use MAZ headphones, and they seem pretty robust, although I did have to repair the lead recently.
I see a lot written about the pro's and con's of various makes, but to be honest, there isn't much to chose between them. (in my opinion anyway)
All they are, is a pair of speakers in a plastic housing, with or without a volume control. As far as I know, none of them have any sound enhancing circuitry inside them ?

I know a chap who uses a small pair of walkman type earpieces with his Minelab, and he does as well as anyone regarding finds. He likes to hear what is going on around him.

Hi Alan
All depends on the machine. XP's and Explorers like headphones that will cope with all the tones.
Some manufacturers (including Maz) do have an enhancing circuit (not like the Grey Ghost 'windowing circuit') that dulls down the ferrous signal and pulls up the non-ferrous.
For the XP Gary had machine specific phones manufactured for him and they found they just could not get the range out of normal mylar cones that are used for their ability to withstand damp conditions.

One other thing to check (If your machine doesn't have a volume control)
Make sure the volume on the phones will go down to silent.
I bought some recently, and they went from loud to very loud.
I went back to where I bought them and had to sort through to find a pair which I found acceptable.

Too high a volume in headphones for hours at a time, can do permanent damage to your ears...!!

A replaceable cord is a nice feature. on the MXT(no volume control) a limiter is nice. Rob

rcasi44 said:
A replaceable cord is a nice feature. on the MXT(no volume control) a limiter is nice. Rob

Thats a feature I like, easier to replace a cord, or put a new plug on, than to try to take the earpiece apart.

I have found the Grey Ghost Originals to be acceptable, and better than the Koss that came with my Exp.II. (I had no others to form a benchmark). I also use a pair of Radio Shack Titanium Lightweights for when the temps are too hot to stay comfortable, or I need to hear my surroundings. The lightweights (had these anyway) have a much louder volume electronically, and I find this compensates for having ambient noise. My Grey ghosts are cranked up full, as well as the Exp. II volume control in order to give a comfortable listening level. I really don't think we need to be audiophiles to hear the tones, but there are those who say that there are "subtle differences". In my mind, any "difference" should be dug and checked out anyway, and forget about whether the quality of the note causes you to have a 10 minute discussion with yourself as to whether to bend down or not. :lol:

I like my Koss and the lifetime warranty is great I broke mine (my fault) shipped them back with $6.00 in 5 days I had a new pair

Wrath - The ipod ear buds work fine. They are actually better that many of the smaller light headphones that I tried. I broke my full headset Koss which I thought were great and tried the ipod's. I ended up getting a small "over the ear" ones with volume control at Radio Shack. I tried many and returned a couple before I decided on the RS ones for performance & cost. If I wouldn't have found anything acceptable under $20, I would have stayed using the ipod ones.

Back
Top Bottom