Equinox 800 help

Lostandfound

I took the Nox out to the beach today and was not to happy with it. I could not get the machine to stabilize in the water. It just kept on chattering with all kinds of signals and the VDI was all over the place. I couldn't distinguish a target with it. So how would I go about setting this thing up.

Thanks Gene

Did you use beach mode 2 ? Did you adjust the sensitivity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The nox is super sensetive. I havnt had it on the beach but running park 1, noise cancel and auto ground balance, the deepest coins i dug were in the 6-8" range with the sensitivity on 16, which is where I have been running it. I had read an article from minelab saying one of the guys runs it at 10 when he is shallow coin hunting and doesnt want the deep noise. Big rusty iron sounds pretty good but had always been deeper than coins. I dug old iron over a foot down with sensitivity on 16. I think running high sensitivity would be only for gold nugget hunting because if i run higher than 16, every tiny little peice of metal, this thing picks up.

Running salt water - Beach 2 and reduce sensitivity until it runs smooth.

I think I just got a little frustrated trying to get it to work. I am going to take all of the advice from here and try again. I was in salt water and I don't carry my cell phone with me. Its my decompression time.

I'm going to take it in the back yard and learn the settings.

Thanks

I think I just got a little frustrated trying to get it to work. I am going to take all of the advice from here and try again. I was in salt water and I don't carry my cell phone with me. Its my decompression time.

Thanks

I brought a printed manual on my first two trips to the beach, lol. You'll get it. I went out again last night and did some knee deep hunts with the water rushing back and forth over the coil, which is usually the most problematic, but no issues. Here what I did to start...

Noise cancel
GB auto
Beach mode 2
Sens 15
Recovery 6

Once in the water, you can slowly increase the sensitivity until it starts to act crazy. When it hits crazy, back it down 1-2 numbers.

Thanks

That can happen. I generally spend time reading the manual and testing the settings in my house, then a good hour or two in my backyard testing a new machine out before heading out with it. Usually that gets me going and I start to adjust settings each time from there.

You also have to remember you may have your cell phone off but the people around you don't.

Experience is the best teacher! Getting used it will take time. download the manual and read it a couple times. Take the detector to a place without a lot of EMI or trash and use it to learn tones and responses. Run the sensitivity as high as you can, but dont be afraid to lower it if needed either.

Good luck!

I brought a printed manual on my first two trips to the beach, lol. You'll get it. I went out again last night and did some knee deep hunts with the water rushing back and forth over the coil, which is usually the most problematic, but no issues. Here what I did to start...

Noise cancel
GB auto
Beach mode 2
Sens 15
Recovery 6

Once in the water, you can slowly increase the sensitivity until it starts to act crazy. When it hits crazy, back it down 1-2 numbers.

What was your iron bias on?

Started with 6. Again, those are the settings you start with. As you swing, your conditions may allow you further adjust the settings.

Was trying to read more on iron bias today. Default Beach 1 or 2 is Iron Bias of 2 on the Nox 600 and 6 on the Nox 800, like you said. Seems like it would be a pretty useful/important feature on the beach. Also considered notching out -1 to -9 but haven't tried it on the beach yet.

Was trying to read more on iron bias today. Default Beach 1 or 2 is Iron Bias of 2 on the Nox 600 and 6 on the Nox 800, like you said. Seems like it would be a pretty useful/important feature on the beach. Also considered notching out -1 to -9 but haven't tried it on the beach yet.

Before you notch, consider using test targets and monitoring the effects on processor speed and depth. :D you can thank me later.

Before you notch, consider using test targets and monitoring the effects on processor speed and depth. :D you can thank me later.

Thanks. I considered it, just depends on conditions. I don't usually have more than 2 hrs at the beach at a time and a lot of iron flakes.

Back
Top Bottom