Be safe out there

In life, You must become the weapon but having something cold that makes so called thugs wince in pain is never a bad thing. Remember it's self defense and you always fear for your life and he would not leave you alone as much as you walked away from them until they charged you and you had to do what you had to do or you know you where going to die. You feared for your life and you behged to be left alone and tried to walk away but they put their hands on you.
Train your hands to fight and you will live in peace all day.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Yep, I carry. I only wear my headphones covering one ear and have my head on a swivel when detecting here in Toledo. If I get some permissions I'm waiting on that are out in the boonies I'll still carry, but use both earpieces and still keep a watchful eye on my surroundings.

Back when I started detecting in the 90's when I based in Dover, Delaware I detected the city parks without any fear. But Toledo is a VERY different place and has a serious heroin problem. Some parks I won't even go to. There is a 100yr old Catholic church that's been closed for a decade that they are going to tear down in a few weeks. I'd love to detect what little grass there is, but my sense of self-preservation won't allow me to do it.

Same here, most of the time in my location I use one ear phone and I keep my head on a swivel. I'm going to start carrying as well. I have the weapon and the license so I might as well use them both.

So not cool, what a scum bag. Worst thing is the guy already bonded out of jail (for holding someone up at GUNPOINT, really?).

Wonder if the place he was detecting was shady part of town, said he was finding everything 1800's, so most likely the case - sketchy parts of town often are virgin MD territory, but always know your surroundings and go with a partner to watch each others back.

"Crowley said the man then held a gun to his head and stole his $10 shovel and beloved $400 metal detector."

!!!!? How does he bond out of jail after doing this?

Yes, I definitely utilize my concealed permit. I always have Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson accompany me.

I've wanted to ask this question for a few weeks now, but have hesitated because I'm a rookie. Do any of you folks legally carry a concealed weapon while detecting? The thought crosses my mind a lot because several of the areas I detect are full of drug users and punks acting tough.

I carry at all times. What's most important is to keep your head on a swivel, and maintain situational awareness.

I've wanted to ask this question for a few weeks now, but have hesitated because I'm a rookie. Do any of you folks legally carry a concealed weapon while detecting? The thought crosses my mind a lot because several of the areas I detect are full of drug users and punks acting tough.

Yes I do. I try to be aware of who or what is around me but when that Silver Dollar hits the sunlight you get distracted.

As for your choice of hunting spots I believe I would avoid the users and punks. No sense poking the bear.

Last edited:
How dare he take a man detector, here take my wallet but not my detector. Just shows you what low life we have ruining around to dang lazy to work:(

Yes. I legally carry concealed and I can shoot. Had to hit the target with 30 shots.

Trouble is getting it out if someone has the drop on you.

I also carry, just about everywhere with the hope I never have to remove the gun from the holster. I fear it will only get worse in all areas. Trying to get my wife to take the class and begin carrying also.

Sounds like you're hitting Millville???... Many good spots though a little rough.....

Yes...……..many of us do carry...

I don't carry...never felt the need to, but I know that a lot of people do, and I'm all for it. If the People's Republik of Illinois didn't have a discriminatory concealed carry law, I'd consider it, but I have a black belt (planning on testing for my Second Degree in a couple of weeks if I'm up to it (the test is the day after I return from vacation, so I may put it off and test the next time)) and don't have much fear where I detect...if someone has a gun , they're welcome to whatever I have...nothing I carry is worth my life (or theirs)...

I don't carry...never felt the need to, but I know that a lot of people do, and I'm all for it. If the People's Republik of Illinois didn't have a discriminatory concealed carry law, I'd consider it, but I have a black belt (planning on testing for my Second Degree in a couple of weeks if I'm up to it (the test is the day after I return from vacation, so I may put it off and test the next time)) and don't have much fear where I detect...if someone has a gun , they're welcome to whatever I have...nothing I carry is worth my life (or theirs)...
You walk in peace because you become the weapon.

Brown Belt in Kempo, studied Judo, Jujutsu and K-Pop besides a full time supporter of the Second Amendment.
It's sad we have to "Have the tools" just in case we need them.

They should start removing digits for every offence, like other countries. See a guy missing a few fingers.....he's a slow learner. Thieves are the scum of the earth.

You walk in peace because you become the weapon.

Brown Belt in Kempo, studied Judo, Jujutsu and K-Pop besides a full time supporter of the Second Amendment.
It's sad we have to "Have the tools" just in case we need them.

I know judo, aikido, karate, jujutsu, and seven other Japanese words.

That very thing happened in what I call the local "penny park" in my town about 2 weeks ago.. They set fire and destroyed a port-a-john. And then they cry they don't have anything in their neighborhoods.

The structure here wasn't a portable. It was a permanent restroom. So far they haven't started to rebuild it. The only other restroom is clear at the other end of the park and is known for people hanging out there that you wouldn't want to meet.

"...he'll have a lot of time in prison to think about it," Crowley said.
Wanna bet? Court supervision or probation at best. Maybe some community service.

I'd like my carry permit but like others have said, the state of Illinois puts a serious muzzle on concealed carrying compared to other states. If you're caught carrying in the public parks here, you can kiss your CC permit goodbye. For now I just carry some mean pepper spray and a stun gun (legal with a FOID card). However, as of September we can legally carry automatic switchblades so I'm getting one of them too.

I've only been approached once where I thought my safety was in jeopardy. Across the street from a public housing project, about a dozen kids maybe 10-15 years old got too close when I wasn't watching. I always keep my pinpointer and Lesche in my hand while swinging. One look of that serrated edge made a few of them back up a couple steps and move along.

Back
Top Bottom