Opinions wanted on my used (new to me) detector

SkiWhiz

Elite Member
I just won the bid for a White's Classic III on eBay. It is used but will be new to me. Would like your comments about this machine please. Going to sell my Prizm II to a friend that wants it. Probably a dumb move on my part selling a Prizm II for a Classic III but can always sell it and get another Prizm. I wanted to get something that I could learn with no meters and such, have to go by sound. Figured I could learn how to ground balance/tell good targets from bad by sound/hear deep signal by faint sounds/learn about the manual turning discrimination dial/etc. I was wondering what you's think of this older detector and will it go as deep as my Prizm II goes. I got it for $99.00 plus $18.50 shipping Total $117.50 You can see it here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110026385419 The seller claims less than 4 hours use on it. Who knows. Will let you all know how it works when I receive it. Thanks! Steve.

well i think u have made a good move. having used a prizm IV and hated it i would have had no problem getting rid of it ( as i did ) for the classic III. good luck with it and it might take u a while to get used to it but keep pluging away and i know u wont be disappointed

I also think its a good move. I think the Prizm range were a bad move and there's not many sticking with them in the U.K.
Mr.Bill still does the upgrades to the Classic and it costs almost nothing to change a good machine into a great one. (In Germany the Turbo conversion gave you a deeper than MXT machine several years back).
It will mean paying a little more attention to what the audio is saying to you but you will end up digging deeper and detecting faster.

Well,, count my vote as one that wouldn't of done it.

Prizm=new technology. The classic was good in it's day. But the day has gone.

new technology doesnt mean its better...my prizm IV was blown out of the water by a 20 year old machine which proves just because its new doesnt mean its better...

Don't be so quick to knock a Prism. They are good machines. The classic III was a good machine too, but technology has changed a bit. I'd say it was a good move. I have been thinking of getting an old Coinmaster to play with. I like Whites. I will probably stick with them.

The Prism gets knock on this side of the pond as its the same basic performance whether you go for the base model or the top of range which is way expensive over here.
All the added features as you go up the range are not needed for our conditions whilst pure depth may be and a wide, wide discrimination option is vital. Your foil is our hammered coin, your iron is our late Empire Roman bronze. Thus on any of the XP models instead of having a knob that revolves 360 degrees to take discrimination reject from all metal through to ring pulls they have 360 degrees from all metal to iron reject, then you flick a switch to allow the same knob to be from iron through to foil.
The U.K. Tesoro's (often painted black to distinguish them) have their discrimination control altered so that instead of foil being rejected and a fraction later our silver hammered is lost, there is a considerable gap put between rejected items in the lower ranges.
The problem (or rather one of them) with buying a T2 over here at the moment are the software revisions taking place. I think its now on version 6 because in the U.S. you don't want to dig crown caps. If the revision allows the caps to be identified then the detector will work here (U.K.). If a change is made to automatically block the crown cap signal then it could make the machine not suitable for the British market. I don't know which approach they took with the software update but any change can totally change a detectors abilities with our most sort targets.
I suppose the ideal U.S. machine would be one that you could take to the park and it would reject all iron, foil and ringpulls and tell you the exact depth the wanted find is at. Our ideal is perfect iron rejection (which you could switch off or reduce because some iron is good) and great depth. Why would you need a depth reading or guess at I.D. because if its not iron we are going to dig it anyway ?

I bought a used White's Coinmaster series II for $70, still in case and has the orginal
instructions with it. It is 20 years young. Took it out with the latest White's DFX and it found everything and more than my DFX. I don't like the handle, sits in front of the gauges, design flaw for sure but other than getting use to the dials it is a winner. HH :yes:

Jason said:
Don't be so quick to knock a Prism.  They are good machines.  The classic III was a good machine too, but technology has changed a bit.  I'd say it was a good move.  I have been thinking of getting an old Coinmaster to play with.  I like Whites.  I will probably stick with them.

i knock the prizm because quite simply i had one myself and it was hopeless.. could wander around for hours and get next to nothing so i think i am within my right to knock the prizm or at least the one i had which was a IV...by far the worst machine i have ever used..

No offence, but I think it was either a user problem or a bad site.

I have a prizm IV as a backup, and it's a darn good detector.

steeler...it was neither a user problem or a bad site...the site has produced tons of stuff from roman through saxon and medieval and the prizm was tried in every possible setting without any improvement.. one of the main problems with them is that they are set up for US soil conditions and not UK...they are very unpopular over here unlike the rest of the whites range..so i stand by what i said which is that it was useless.. best move i ever made getting rid of it..

Back
Top Bottom