Silver Umax question

SKB

I keep reading a lot of posts on here and other forums that the silver is a dig it all machine or that they prefer another machine when in trashy areas. My question is could you just not turn the disc up on the silver to take out tabs and below and still get silver, quarters. dimes and pennies? Am I wrong? I feel like the silver is being labeled as something it is not. It's almost tax time and I am still trying to decide which machine to get, I really want a silver.

If you turn the disc up on the silver it will take out tabs and below and still get silver, quarters. dimes and pennies? In my opinion the Silver µMax is the best detector made in the less than $250.00 price range. Steve.

Yes to all the above .I dug my first silver dime thurday a Merc with my disc just above tab.The disc on the Silver U is amazing

I think the difference is on a VDI machine you can keep the discrimination turned down and choose to dig based on the display information. This gives you a little better odds of digging more goodies and less trash while not giving up everything below a certain level.

So does the silver progressively lose more depth the farther you turn the disc.
As a rule yes, but nothing to worry about. Each detector is different even the very same brand and model, some are "hotter" than others. I did notice that the Sidewinder I had lost a very little bit of depth with the disc. maxed out. In my opinion running a Tesoro with the disc, ran high will give you better odds of keeping away the "junk" than any TID (display) type detector.

My first detector was a Silver Umax. Dig the solid tones and on the trashy areas if you want to turn the disc up you'll loose nickels but you'll get silver, quarter, pennies and dimes. Still the big soda cans can give a signal.

But if you want to find gold then you'll have to dill all those pesky pulltabs

If you buy the Silver UMax, get a 5.75 inch concentric coil..Start your hunting at slightly below nickels.Then adjust the discrimination to suit .. Years ago , I dug 99 holes that were "DRY", and left by two characters with early discriminators.The 100th hole gave up a man's gold ring about big toe size.Even the person who finally bought it was amazed how large it was...Try an experiment. Cherry pick an area, then go back over it with the disc as I first suggested, and try digging everything.. If you just want silver, that's fine. Digging everything is a pain, but gold has a soothing effect.. Cordially Nad:)

I think everything has been answered several times but since I really like the Silver uMax I can't resist commenting.

Like the guys have stated, you can discriminate out lots of unwanted targets but in so doing you'll miss some wanted targets like fine gold chain and thin gold rings.

The highest in discrimination I ever went with any of my Silver uMax machines was to put the knob dead-on the O in FOIL. This way I missed many tiny bits of iron and foil yet dug the nickles and small gold. And too in low discrimination you get your best depth.

You can loose up to 1/2 your depth if you set the Silver to discriminate out pulltabs. This means you're only hunting down about 3 inches deep.

The best is what I call logic discrimination. Here we run the discrimination as low as possible and use our brains to determine the likely nature of a target.

It works like this, I get a solid signal over my set discrimination. I raise the coil about 2 inches and swing over the target to see if the signal gets a lot weaker. If it doesn't it's most likely a very shallow target or deep large object.

Then we consider the physical size of the target. A coin isn't going to produce a foot long signal. However, a piece of trash wire will.

I could go on but I'm not even sure you'll see this, but I think you get the idea.

The Silver uMax is a great machine and like stated above is about the best for the money.

Badger

Ive also said this several times but unless the ground is reasonably shallow I wouldnt even run my Vaquero in disc.I dig all the fainter sounds in all metal and thumb the disc to the L in foil for the louder ones.At todays gold prices you just have to dig the ring pulls,a real pain in the backside.Sometimes towards the end of the day with the Sovereign I just turn disc up full and then wonder what each null Im not digging might be.Im almost certain to have missed something good but it preserves my sanity.

I do that sometimes-but I set the discrimination to where the tabs "click" or just break up. By the way, that was a tip from the man himself-Jack Gifford. This way coins can't hide under pull tabs-they will sound off. Also, the rings that fall in the square tab area will sound off-have found several school rings this way. Plus, the depth on coins is increased over completely rejecting the tab. I have found several silver coins this way. Finally, you will find many objects in the square tab area-like keys, toys,etc. Since they have made the other tab that registers as a nickel, I do this quite often. Oh, and Nad is right. I just got my 5.75" coil last month and that turns it into a monster in these trashy areas. It has just REPLACED the brown donut coil.

What the others are saying about the small coil is true. I learned this with the Nautilus IIB and my Minelab Explorer.

I was the first to post a Nautilus detector video on YouTube. I did this back about 04 or 05. It was based on using the Nautilus with the 6" concentric coil. For a long time dealers of Nautilus had links to my video.

What I did was clean out areas with the Nautilus 10" coil and then I went back over these exact areas using the 6" coil. Each time the 6" coil found the best stuff. The 10" coil usually missed the old silver coins and rings.

I sort of wish now I had left the video on YouTube.

Badger

throw a web coil on it

I am so impressed with my wife's Cutlass II that I have a Silver coming and a 8 x 9 web coil. I sold my Vaquero as it had nothing over my EL Dorado and is basically the same machine. The Silver will be my speed machine but I can pull out the EL when things get serious. The Silver holds it's own right up there with the high end models, do a little tweeking and you are on a level playing field.

I am so impressed with my wife's Cutlass II that I have a Silver coming and a 8 x 9 web coil. I sold my Vaquero as it had nothing over my EL Dorado and is basically the same machine. The Silver will be my speed machine but I can pull the EL when things get serious. The Silver holds it's own right up there with the high end models, do a little tweeking and you are on a level playing field.
Shhh don't tell anyone, don't want the word to get out, next thing you there will be others thinking Tesoro's are good ;):lol:. You can swap coils between the Silver & the Cutlass as you are probably aware of. I like the looks of the 8x9 coil but honestly didn't find it any better than the stock 8" concentric round brown coil.

Cutlass II + Eldorado + Silver µMax = 3 of a kind 4 Aces can't beat that :p:lol:

Tesoro? Hum? I think I recall that brand. Didn't they used ta sell them in the dowsing rod section of the giant detector store? :lol:

Hey! Youse guys make me feel great about just buying a Cutlass II uMax. I can't wait to compare it to the Silver and Tejon.

What I'm most interested in is how the Cutlass II uMax MAXBoost differs from the Silver uMax sensitivity boost range (if it does).

In the Tesoro manual for the Cutlass II uMax Tesoro claims MAXBoost can add "several inches" to the depth.

I noticed maybe 1 inch more on the Silver uMax with the sensitivity maxed out. Now I want to see what the old Cutlass could do with MAXBoost.

But like I've always said, Tesoros all differ. I think it has to do with the job done on the coil and how well it was tuned (balanced) to the electronics.

If my Cutlass turns out to be a dud as far as depth goes I may return it to Tesoro and have it adjusted.

But like I've always said, Tesoros all differ. I think it has to do with the job done on the coil and how well it was tuned (balanced) to the electronics.

If my Cutlass turns out to be a dud as far as depth goes I may return it to Tesoro and have it adjusted.

Tesoro's have a "Quality Control" issue??? The units are not all calibrated the same and tested before going out the door???...., Thanks for that info badger!..Good to know!..I looked at a Tejon for a while and thought I might give one a try but would hate to get a "dud"...I wouldnt be too happy with that brand after experiencing something like that!;) Thanks,

Doesn't the Tejon have a manual ground balance? If so, you can use any coil and balance it to the ground..I know on the Vaquero, that I neeed to change the GB setting each time I change coils..Not so much between the std and the 5.75, but the 3 X18 requires a larger adjustment..A lack of manual adjustment on the silver may be a handicap when you slip on a Clean sweep coil...Cordially Nad

silver umax coils

I have 3 different coils for my silver Umax, i never had any problem when changing coils effecting the ground balance of the machine.

So does the silver progressively lose more depth the farther you turn the disc.
I voided the warranty on mine by adding a "tab" check switch to mine-similar to the Troy detector, except it's set at the point at where tabs break instead of at zincers. Whenever I switch to double check some deep targets, I cannot tell any difference in depth.

Back
Top Bottom