Garrett At Pro

GIGS is 90X

I have been using my At Pro for a week now and I am starting to learn the suttle noise signals. I am getting better at pinpointing as well. I am operating in pro zero mode. I got a hit on the beach yesterday and took it deep. I pulled out some sharp pice of metal about 5x6 pice. At least some kid wont dig it up and get hurt. No goodies just junk. May I ask some of you to share your custom settings and what you use it for? Would not know where to start with it. Thanks for helping out a rookie.
Be Safe...:digginahole:

Since you are new to the AT if you haven't already I would recommend Garrett's website for the tutorial videos. They helped me alot when starting out. The ground balance is important and I would recommend that one for sure. Hope that helps and good luck...

I've been using my ATP for about 4 months now. Here are my settings.

Pro Custom mode. I have ALL iron discrim'd and no iron audio. I also discrim 40-45 and 60-65. The 40 range is usually gum wrappers and the like and the 60 range is usually chopped up aluminum cans from lawnmowers. All though some rings do come up in that range.

For my machine the following are coinage id numbers

50-52/3 Nickel 74-76 ZINK penny, 80-82 Dime 82-84 Copper penny and 86-88 Quarter.
Given those numbers as a base line. If you put a quarter and a Nickel side by side or in the same sweep area you will get a number somewhere in the upper 60's to low 70's. It reads both the high of the qtr and low of the nickel.

Pop tops, ie tops of modern soda cans, come up as 53-54 for me and pulltabs come up in that range or lower depending on the size, orientation and shape of it. I've had many pop tops that are folded in half come up as solid 50/51 for nickel and dig them up positive they are nickels and just shake my head. LOL. Its all in learning your machine.

For starters try not using pro zero until you know how your machine reads items. My friends is 52/53 for nickels vs my 51/52. Practice in your back yard with one, two or three coins in an area the size of a tennis ball and see how they read. TWO Quarters ontop or side by side each other will come up in the high 80's to 90's and good silver rings will come up in the low to mid 90's.

If you get a solid 86 or so that reads 2-4" and you are down 6" or so and your pro pointer still isnt saying anything is there. RE pinpoint with your ATP and if its still in the middle of the hole. Fill the hole back in OR Retrieve your aluminum can thats flat or crushed :) First dig every signal you get thats solid and tight (Meaning small target by pinpointing it).

The youtube idea of "how to use my AT Pro" is a good idea. I didnt do it cause my friend had one before me so I just worked with him. Had him find a target. Call me over and NOT Tell me what it is and make me figure it out or I'd have him check one of my targets. Ive dug lots of trash, bottle caps, bottle TOPS from beer bottles and the like. Heck, I've even dug out two fire truck toys from a local beach that used to be much closer to the road than it is now due to back filling with dirt to make the park larger back in the early days. Im 100yds from the waters edge and I did 10" down and hit pure sand and find OLD cosmetic compac's, Silver ware and stuff like that. Good luck with your ATP and try out the rayovac lithium ultimates. They are great. Got almost 26 hours on my first set. Duracell only lasted about 15 hrs total usage.

I found as a learning curve to dig everything for the first couple of days and you'll fill your pouch with junk and get a few pwnnies and dimes, maybe a quarter, the sweet sound of silver or coins stands out.

After a couple of days learning the pinpointing and sick of diggin trash you should move between the std and pro and listen to the sounds you get on the first sweep and the 90 degree sweep then see if its what you think it is when you dig it, coins give a nice short burst each way, foil is a muffled long tone and cans are once heard never forgotten.

I normally Id to 40 no audio, notch back in the broken notches for coins and keep the sansa to two bars of max, have the headphones to max and do the balance.....then i can jump to pro coins when i want to check my tones before returning for pinpointing again and digging.

Nails stand out if they are on their side and coins when the same...i like the wide sweep of the large coil but the nice 5x8 get some sweet locating and makes parks a pleasure to do when you have the tones set.....just damn shame the ring pulls keep getting in the way of the gold:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom