Memorial Day Goodies

JRinkus

Had Memorial Day weekend to knock out two sites. And old one and a new one. For the old one I, finally got back to the house that produced items from 3 wars. So I took my time flagged off the entire yard and went clear to the road. Found another War Item. My guess is that it is a WWI pin for an Enlisted bombardiers cover. Got 2 silvers, one a Merc and the other a wartime series nickel. This is the 4th silver nickel from this yard. A 1979 Matchbox car and a very old Tooth Key Pad Lock, that practically fell apart when I dug it out. 8 wheat and the 1922 Centavo was the last dig of the day. The farmer of the field was more interested in the cow tag that I found in the field. Stating their has never been cattle on this property.
The new site was a complete let down. I expected great things from this site but I think I was late to the punch. Did manage a 1961 Rosie and 3 wheats from the 40's. The coolest dig was the 1904 Sunoco Collectors coin. Not sure what the last coin is. Its blank with a simple E printed on one side. Pretty sure its aluminum. Thanks for looking, Hope you all had a happy memorial day! And as always HH.

Thanks HH.

Very cool batch of finds! Great looking hot rod!
Reading your post you made it sound a bit uneventful .
But after looking over those great photos ,
You have a good batch of goodies there. HH , Dew

Very cool batch of finds! Great looking hot rod!
Reading your post you made it sound a bit uneventful .
But after looking over those great photos ,
You have a good batch of goodies there. HH , Dew

Yea, after such a great hunt the first time I hit the house (link below)
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=208280 I just felt I did miss some stuff.

Sorry if I sounded down. The second house was what the comment was for. After finding out about the history of the second search site 3 years ago, (one of the oldest homes in my area 1853) I have been waiting for an opportunity. The stars aligned and I got permission (that's a story in itself) . Well it seems that they have remodeled the house with aluminum siding and left little aluminum snips and clips all over. These ring up as pennies. But they were all pretty deep so I had to dig in hopes early injuns. They were deep because during the remodeling process they also re-sodded the house adding an extra 3 to 4 inches of ground. I spent all day digging those damn things. I think the coins that I was searching for were just out of my coils reach. The one silver Roosie that I did find was at least 9 inches deep. And it was only a 1961(farm land is fertile and soft and coins sink fast.) So I know those coins are still there and I just could not reach them.

Front of house now

side of house 15 years ago

Dew Sweeper, Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
and as always happy hunting.

Nice finds. The first Sunoco token I found I thought it was from the date on it. Then I was thinking hey this feels like aluminum, pretty sure they weren't making tokens out of aluminum in 1904. Looked it up and saw that they are from '68-'69, the car is a 1904. They are still cool to find, might as well try to find the whole set. HH.

Nice finds. The first Sunoco token I found I thought it was from the date on it. Then I was thinking hey this feels like aluminum, pretty sure they weren't making tokens out of aluminum in 1904. Looked it up and saw that they are from '68-'69, the car is a 1904. They are still cool to find, might as well try to find the whole set. HH.

Sorry if I implied that the coin was 1904. I saw the 1968 print under the right tire of the car. I understood that the 1904 was for the car, apologies.

Sorry if I implied that the coin was 1904. I saw the 1968 print under the right tire of the car. I understood that the 1904 was for the car, apologies.

I figured you knew but the first one I found got my excited for a second, it was my first year when I found it ... I've learned a lot since then and I have a lot more to learn. lol. HH.

I figured you knew but the first one I found got my excited for a second, it was my first year when I found it ... I've learned a lot since then and I have a lot more to learn. lol. HH.

That's funny, the first Cracker Jack token I found said 1889 for the year the president on the token served in office. I thought the same thing until research showed me it was printed as the cracker jack mystery token in 1930. Believe me I've been there> :lol:

Back
Top Bottom