Last Day of Sis's Vacation, Crazy Nickel Day!

BBsGal

Forum Supporter
My sis and her husband have been here all week and we've hunted as much as we can between weather and other things going on, but today was really the highlight of her visit, metal detecting-wise.

We went to a location I've been itching to hit and that should have had old stuff in the ground. It turned into a crazy nickel-digging marathon and we stayed at it for several hours, until we could "dig no more."

Sis and her hubby totaled out at well over 70 nickels, one of which was a no-date Buff! Her first, heck, she beat me to it since I'm still looking for my first! They also got other clad, and a war nickel! Sorry, didn't get a pic since we were starving when we got back to my folks house and Mama had supper ready so we ate instead of taking pics of finds...

The second best find of the day also went to Sis and her hubby (who hunt as a team, she detects, he digs. Not a bad arrangement!) She found an old button, one with a harp or lyre on the front and "Superior Quality" on the back. It's in real good shape but has no gilt or plating left on it. Still... very good find!

My finds were pretty lame after that but I'm happy with them too. I dug 39 nickels, 3 quarters, 6 dimes, and about 4 pennies. I also caught a little sterling cross earring with garnets (but missing 2 of them) and a neat little lapel pin for the UGBA with a chicken on it. I was too lazy to lay the clad out and take a pic of the nickels, etc. but did get a quick pic of the earring and chicken pin... and got one of sis and her hubby out at the site...

I'm thinking about having the little garnets set into a pendant or ring since the earring itself is kind of beat up, and of course I had to go and break off the post trying to straighten it out. The chicken pin is about the same size as a penny in diameter.

Sorry for no better pics, it was one of those days when we were too busy finding stuff to really do pics on the fly.

picture.php

picture.php

That is a LOT of nickels!!!!! How crazy. Did they used to throw nickels in some kind of game back in the day I don't know about?

Glad you had in with the famdamily

Congratulations on a good time with family, thats the biggest treasure of all. And a good job on all the nickels. Was that a saddle club you were hunting? I saw the barrel and the sandy arena.

Nice work on all those nickels and some other keepers!!

Congrats on the silver too!

<*)))>{

Looks like you hunted a spot that had been cherry-picked of high tones. Happens sometimes; any time my nickel count is "out of whack" in terms of other coins, that's what I suspect, and what my experience tells me is most likely to have happened.

Nice hunting!

Steve

Looks like you hunted a spot that had been cherry-picked of high tones. Happens sometimes; any time my nickel count is "out of whack" in terms of other coins, that's what I suspect, and what my experience tells me is most likely to have happened.

Nice hunting!

Steve

Yep - completely agree. Most the time there are a ton of dimes and very few nickels.

Congrats - sounds like you had a blast!!!!

That is a LOT of nickels!!!!! How crazy. Did they used to throw nickels in some kind of game back in the day I don't know about?

Glad you had in with the famdamily

Thanks! Actually there is a game they play, called a nickel scramble. They spread out a bucket of nickels and let the real little kids to grab as many as they can get. Some are painted and win them extra prizes. I hadn't heard of it before but I guess they've been doing it for over a decade now.

Congratulations on a good time with family, thats the biggest treasure of all. And a good job on all the nickels. Was that a saddle club you were hunting? I saw the barrel and the sandy arena.

Yep, an old arena that still gets occasional use. Thanks!

:wow: Nice huntn! I would have felt like the Pro beat my head in after that, it hits nickels hard!

Thanks! I have to admit I was getting tired of nickel signals by the time we got done, not complaining though! It was a ton of fun.

Hits gold the SAME way.. HARD!!

I can walk away from a quarter/silver signal in the water in big waves or whatever, but I'll die trying to get that nickel/gold signal!!

<*)))>{

Nice work on all those nickels and some other keepers!!

Congrats on the silver too!

<*)))>{

Thanks!

Nice hunting!

Steve

I knew going in it had been hunted pretty hard, but I was surprised at what we did find there, made for a real good day. Thanks!

Yep - completely agree. Most the time there are a ton of dimes and very few nickels.

Congrats - sounds like you had a blast!!!!

Yep, and thanks, we did!

sounds like a great fun with the family.& a nice haul congrats!

Thanks, it was an awesome fun day!

That must be a record for nickels dug in one day.:cheer:

You may be right! My husband and I got into a dime patch a year or so ago at a little town fairground where they had the dime toss. I think we dug as many dimes, so you just never know what you'll get into a nest of!

Back
Top Bottom