Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Notices

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #161  
Old 05-19-2017, 11:27 PM
Donsell's Avatar
Donsell Donsell is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Lincoln, Ne
Posts: 365
Default

That's kind of my point. I would expect a 14K gold ring to be higher than a nickel, but in Vinnie's case it was quite a bit lower.

I think it means I need to be digging more lower signals, especially with a good hodograph.

__________________
Rutus Alter 71
AT-Pro, Nel Storm, Nel Sharpshooter

Reply With Quote


  #162  
Old 05-19-2017, 11:31 PM
tnsharpshooter tnsharpshooter is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 5,825
Default

Originally Posted by Donsell View post
That's kind of my point. I would expect a 14K gold ring to be higher than a nickel, but in Vinnie's case it was quite a bit lower.

I think it means I need to be digging more lower signals, especially with a good hodograph.
Well,,just yesterday I did some testing with small thin gold ring,,,it read 42 in the meter with 6khz normalized setting selected.

Personally based on my testing,,,gold rings a good starting place to start digging,,is 38,,, with the normaization 6khz selected.
Odds are a target below 38 solo sitting will be foil or smaller can slaw.
No absolutes,,,and yes there are other things made of gold besides rings,, like chains,,lockets,crosses, ear rings, etc.

But I think in a place where gold rings could be has,,,this a good place to start looking id wise.

__________________
Minelab Equinox preordered, Minelab XS Explorer, 3-Xp Deus, Nokta Impact, Rutus Alter71, Deep tech Warrior, Detech Chaser
Pinpointers -- Garrett Propointer, White's TRX, Makro, XP MI-6,,remote travels use Can am Defender Hd10Xt side by side

Reply With Quote


  #163  
Old 05-20-2017, 04:24 AM
Vinnie1966 Vinnie1966 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: The Netherlands, Europe
Posts: 22
Default

Probably because this ring is not solid, but open?
VDI was normalised to 12 kHz.
I dig everything above 30 when it sounds right and has a good hodograph.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #164  
Old 05-21-2017, 12:37 AM
metaladdict's Avatar
metaladdict metaladdict is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Rosa, Ca.
Posts: 7,879
Default

Originally Posted by NCtoad View post
Did you try a little bigger ring and a modern square pull tab? Some of the those will ring up and sound so solid that they fool me quite often...actually more than quite often If there's a detector out there that can differentiate between a pulltab (modern or old ring style beavertail), I would like to know about it.

EDIT: sorry, I just saw your very last sentence!
The At pro does rather well for me differentiating pulltabs from rings.just sayin.

__________________
Detectors. Garrett AT Pro,Ace 250.Minelab Sov Elite! Soon enough Minelab Equinox!!!!
They can have my metal detector when they pry it from my cold dead hands!!Arrrr! John 14:6.

Reply With Quote


  #165  
Old 05-21-2017, 03:17 AM
NIBBLER NIBBLER is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2
Default

Originally Posted by Donsell View post
I didn't get the orientation of the dime. I'm able to pinpoint things very well with the Rutus and it fell out of the plug. I was expected a clad dime, I was very surprised to find the merc.

I'll try dialing down the gain, but I'm not unhappy with the sounds on the Rutus. I've run almost exclusively Coins 3. I need to work on setting some tone profiles. I'd like to dial up the nickel signal.

I like the ID spread on the Rutus as well, from 1 to 120. They were able to spread out the IDs between some of the aluminum targets and coins.

Out of curiosity, do you have another detector with a lower shaft the fits the Rutus? I'd like another to make switching coils easier and I haven't found one that Rutus sells. The AT Pro shaft is a little big.

Thanks.
I am using a tesoro lower rod.
Reply With Quote


  #166  
Old 05-21-2017, 11:16 AM
Donsell's Avatar
Donsell Donsell is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Lincoln, Ne
Posts: 365
Default

Originally Posted by NIBBLER View post
I am using a tesoro lower rod.
Thanks Nibbler!

__________________
Rutus Alter 71
AT-Pro, Nel Storm, Nel Sharpshooter

Reply With Quote


  #167  
Old 05-31-2017, 06:18 AM
ghound's Avatar
ghound ghound is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 557
Default

I gave the Rutus a different type of challenge last weekend, a seeded hunt lol
The tokens were no deeper than 3"-4", so i ran 18khz, disc 70, sens 60, reactivity 5
Great fun to use, i was sweeping very fast and even so it hit hard on the little tokens, it actually ran that quiet i put on a bit of threshold volume just to be sure!
A enjoyable day out with my daughter who was using the F19, and some nice prizes to be had, and a very tasty Fors Relic from Nokta.
That's my daughter doing the draw and handing out the prizes to the winners.
Attached Images
   
Reply With Quote


  #168  
Old 05-31-2017, 08:28 AM
tnsharpshooter tnsharpshooter is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 5,825
Default

Yep, Rutus is fast, very fast.
Nice pics.
Thanks for sharing.

__________________
Minelab Equinox preordered, Minelab XS Explorer, 3-Xp Deus, Nokta Impact, Rutus Alter71, Deep tech Warrior, Detech Chaser
Pinpointers -- Garrett Propointer, White's TRX, Makro, XP MI-6,,remote travels use Can am Defender Hd10Xt side by side

Reply With Quote


  #169  
Old 05-31-2017, 09:36 AM
Nokta Detectors Nokta Detectors is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 61
Default

Originally Posted by ghound View post
I gave the Rutus a different type of challenge last weekend, a seeded hunt lol
The tokens were no deeper than 3"-4", so i ran 18khz, disc 70, sens 60, reactivity 5
Great fun to use, i was sweeping very fast and even so it hit hard on the little tokens, it actually ran that quiet i put on a bit of threshold volume just to be sure!
A enjoyable day out with my daughter who was using the F19, and some nice prizes to be had, and a very tasty Fors Relic from Nokta.
That's my daughter doing the draw and handing out the prizes to the winners.
Hello ghound... may I ask which event this was? God bless your daughter.. I am very happy that our product was handed out by such a sweet girl. If I knew, I would have sent her a Nokta cap:-)
Reply With Quote


  #170  
Old 05-31-2017, 09:51 AM
ghound's Avatar
ghound ghound is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 557
Default

Hi Nokta, it was the Northern Ireland detecting rally, really enjoyable event, it's my daughters second year at it, thanks to Nokta for sponsoring the event and the top prizes.
We enjoy our detecting and both have a love of our local history, maybe if you produce a junior detector she will trial it for you!
Here's a few more pics.





Originally Posted by Nokta Detectors View post
Hello ghound... may I ask which event this was? God bless your daughter.. I am very happy that our product was handed out by such a sweet girl. If I knew, I would have sent her a Nokta cap:-)
Attached Images
     

Last edited by ghound; 05-31-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Reply With Quote


  #171  
Old 05-31-2017, 10:33 AM
ghound's Avatar
ghound ghound is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 557
Default

While talking about the speed of the Rutus, i have been playing with using 120 tones set on a sliding scale, Vince kindly sent me some setting and i've altered them slightly to suit myself.
So in this vid, 7 targets all different conductors jumping from high-low-high.
I've included the F19, not to bash it but because Fishers are noted as fairly fast machines and it shows how difficult this test is with a 2 tone machine.
I have it set the F19 with the tone break at 66 midway between the ID of the targets, full volume, no disc etc and with a very fast sweep it gets maybe 2 or 3 targets, but at a sensible sweep speed it does very well.
The Rutus is running a simple 2 tone, then i change it to 120 tones and to be able to jump up and down the ID scale the way it does i think is very impressive.
The F19 has the narrower 12.5"x8.5" while the Rutus is wearing the 11" round, imagine if they produce a sniper coil !
https://youtu.be/ZnAzn5dbTRc
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote


  #172  
Old 05-31-2017, 12:04 PM
Donsell's Avatar
Donsell Donsell is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Lincoln, Ne
Posts: 365
Default

Originally Posted by ghound View post
While talking about the speed of the Rutus, i have been playing with using 120 tones set on a sliding scale, Vince kindly sent me some setting and i've altered them slightly to suit myself.
So in this vid, 7 targets all different conductors jumping from high-low-high.
I've included the F19, not to bash it but because Fishers are noted as fairly fast machines and it shows how difficult this test is with a 2 tone machine.
I have it set the F19 with the tone break at 66 midway between the ID of the targets, full volume, no disc etc and with a very fast sweep it gets maybe 2 or 3 targets, but at a sensible sweep speed it does very well.
The Rutus is running a simple 2 tone, then i change it to 120 tones and to be able to jump up and down the ID scale the way it does i think is very impressive.
The F19 has the narrower 12.5"x8.5" while the Rutus is wearing the 11" round, imagine if they produce a sniper coil !
https://youtu.be/ZnAzn5dbTRc
That's good stuff, ghound. I feel like I've only begun to learn how flexible the Rutus is and still have some working dialing it in. But that's a fun part of the hobby for me.

Have you done much with the dual mode? I understand what it's doing, but need to learn what the benefit of hunting in dual mode is.

__________________
Rutus Alter 71
AT-Pro, Nel Storm, Nel Sharpshooter

Reply With Quote


  #173  
Old 05-31-2017, 12:10 PM
ghound's Avatar
ghound ghound is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 557
Default

Not done too much of the dual mode, but the idea is that the all metal channel will go that bit deeper. I can see it being real useful on med-large targets at lower khz.
Reply With Quote


  #174  
Old 05-31-2017, 12:44 PM
wackid wackid is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 17
Default

Is that really convenient that sound slope?

For me I have the bottle cap section a different sound frequency. Foil range etc etc.

They way you have set it up sounding a bit "difficult " to determine which conducter is under the coil.
Reply With Quote


  #175  
Old 05-31-2017, 01:00 PM
ghound's Avatar
ghound ghound is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 557
Default

Yes it's not something i'd use on a busy site, probably better suited to a quiet pasture, but it's only an experiment at the moment, luckily most of my sites are old and i rarely dig modern tops, ring pulls etc.
I don't go for multi tones that much, i do have a much simpler setting for milled coinage, say from 1600's onwards, but usually im a simple 2 tone hunter, if it's not iron i'm digging.


Originally Posted by wackid View post
Is that really convenient that sound slope?

For me I have the bottle cap section a different sound frequency. Foil range etc etc.

They way you have set it up sounding a bit "difficult " to determine which conducter is under the coil.
Reply With Quote


  #176  
Old 05-31-2017, 03:06 PM
tnsharpshooter tnsharpshooter is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 5,825
Default

Originally Posted by Donsell View post
That's good stuff, ghound. I feel like I've only begun to learn how flexible the Rutus is and still have some working dialing it in. But that's a fun part of the hobby for me.

Have you done much with the dual mode? I understand what it's doing, but need to learn what the benefit of hunting in dual mode is.
Dual mode, what can it do for you?

If you are say detecting in a field with not much nails and trash,,,deeper finds when running disc mode (not dual mode),,the deeper finds will need to be flushed moreso with coil to get tone(detect). At fringe depth detectable here, coil center coming over the target more critical.

Now, fast forward to dual mode, in a similar aite mentioned above,,,the All Metal portion will allow to locate suspect targets with more coil position latitude,,even the deeper finds.

Using dual mode, once you locate, you will center coil, and Rutus may indeed sound off tonally through the disc channel,,with ID to boot.
Some targets the disc mode may not sound off on,yet the am side does,,,as a person pivots around these kinds of targets, and depending on site history, a person may dig some of these.

Cylindrical shaped things like bullets,,and coins,,will have a more round presentation as you listen to the AM side of things.

A good idea to bury some say civil war bullets and deeper coins,, like at a ft deep, and then practice listening to how they sound,,how the tone around the edges of the targets drops off.

It does take some practice here to get decently good with this.
And yes a person will dig some iron too,,but can dig some nidpce finds as well.

Hope this helps.

Really busy sites as stated by Ghound,,not a good place to have am turned on.

__________________
Minelab Equinox preordered, Minelab XS Explorer, 3-Xp Deus, Nokta Impact, Rutus Alter71, Deep tech Warrior, Detech Chaser
Pinpointers -- Garrett Propointer, White's TRX, Makro, XP MI-6,,remote travels use Can am Defender Hd10Xt side by side


Last edited by tnsharpshooter; 06-01-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Reply With Quote


  #177  
Old 06-01-2017, 10:40 AM
ghound's Avatar
ghound ghound is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 557
Default

I've been hitting the coppers again, and a first for me, a KG111 token penny which were only minted in 1806-1807, apparently they used 150 tons of copper, so they made a fair few.
It came from the same fields i found the other KG coins, but as you can see in the pic beside the other KG coins, this one is a monster in comparison at 34mm dia.
The grass was quite tall, and i wasn't expecting it, nearly didn't dig it as it sounded too big and i was getting a banging signal with the coil well off the ground, coin was no more than 7" deep.
This site is looking promising, bound to be a few nice silvers!
Settings were 9khz, max sens, 60 gain, reactivity 2, masking 0.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #178  
Old 06-01-2017, 07:36 PM
tnsharpshooter tnsharpshooter is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 5,825
Default

Took Rutus unit to a modern trash site today,had some iron as well.
This unit comparing to other units I have ran,,for these type of sites,,,this unit gets top marks.

Really does give a lot of info,,multi- dimensional info to make decisions to dig or not.
Handles bottle caps well,,and even gives clues differentiating zincolns from aluminum twist caps.

Lightning fast,,11" coil in reactive 4 has an eagle eye here in the trash for higher conductive items.

Super impressed today with unit.
Would take over a Deus wearing any sized coil in this type of site.

Nickel window can be established with detector,,with appropriate tone assigned.

This detector for whatever reason seems even via tone nuance (along with ID) a nickel killer.

Would use this unit hunting beside anyone running a Minelab CTX any day of the week in sites loaded with modern trash using 11" coils on both.

__________________
Minelab Equinox preordered, Minelab XS Explorer, 3-Xp Deus, Nokta Impact, Rutus Alter71, Deep tech Warrior, Detech Chaser
Pinpointers -- Garrett Propointer, White's TRX, Makro, XP MI-6,,remote travels use Can am Defender Hd10Xt side by side

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #179  
Old 06-01-2017, 07:54 PM
NCtoad's Avatar
NCtoad NCtoad is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Western NC
Posts: 730
Default

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter View post
Took Rutus unit to a modern trash site today,had some iron as well.
This unit comparing to other units I have ran,,for these type of sites,,,this unit gets top marks.

Really does give a lot of info,,multi- dimensional info to make decisions to dig or not.
Handles bottle caps well,,and even gives clues differentiating zincolns from aluminum twist caps.

Lightning fast,,11" coil in reactive 4 has an eagle eye here in the trash for higher conductive items.

Super impressed today with unit.
Would take over a Deus wearing any sized coil in this type of site.

Nickel window can be established with detector,,with appropriate tone assigned.

This detector for whatever reason seems even via tone nuance (along with ID) a nickel killer.

Would use this unit hunting beside anyone running a Minelab CTX any day of the week in sites loaded with modern trash using 11" coils on both.
Thanks for the report, just what I was waiting to hear.

__________________
Fisher F70...learning more and more
Tesoro Compadre 8" coil, Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Vaquero

Reply With Quote


  #180  
Old 06-01-2017, 09:35 PM
Donsell's Avatar
Donsell Donsell is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Lincoln, Ne
Posts: 365
Default

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter View post
Would take over a Deus wearing any sized coil in this type of site.
That says a lot! Thanks TNSS!

__________________
Rutus Alter 71
AT-Pro, Nel Storm, Nel Sharpshooter

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.