coil cover / bed liner

(Heavy)

Elite Member
People I really hated to start a new thread on this issue but a search of this forum has not satisfied me about bed liner coatings for our coils. I get that the covers can be a problem with false signals and debris caught in the cover are less than healty for the business end of the machine but who wants to chip a coil on a rock right? I was hoping to see some handy work in pictures before i set out to do this job and if anyone thinks using the coat will take from the performance.

off to the store to get the bed liner, then i will make a vid of the process if no one else has already done it.

to be continued;
bob

I haven't seen a video yet, Make one and post it for those who are interested.

Chicago this is the way you do it take just the part of the link that comes after the = sign for example see below and then click the you tube button on the upper right and paste just this portion.

LfGue-BGLD0

very cool, i'm very interested on how this turns out. did you purchase the bed liner from an auto store(pep boys, auto zone..etc)

I'm thinking about doing this to my coils. Has anybody tested to ensure that the bedliner doesn't affect the signal?

First two coats are drying and i have to step out to my church's food pantry where i work but i will film the results later tonight.

The product is from a home improvement store at 4 bucks a can... its too thin if you ask me as i was expecting something thicker. Get better product :)

I would go on to say it improves the look and feel of the cheap coil imediately but as far as protection from a good hit on a rock or heavy use i'm just not feeling it so far. Seems to me you could still bust it up easy enough and i understand Garrett's in business to sell coils as i'm a business man too, but they should be coating these coils themselves especially for the beginner like me who will show them no mercy.

bob

I would think a plastic type coating would be better, when I think of bed liners, I think of something that is hard and unforgiving. Maybe something like Plasti-Dip or Loctite Color Guard would work better.

As long as there is no reaction between under-body coating and the plastic. I'd hate to have the plastic of the coil weakened or become brittle. Let us know how it works out. As tight as coil covers fit however, I have never had anything get caught between it and the coil.

there was a thread about the bedliner "treatment" not too long ago.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=64086

if you don't really feel like reading through all 8 posts on there, here was my 2 cents about using it on the coil:

"very easy, simple and quick! and seems to be extremely durable!

just clean your coil thoroughly and make sure it's dry. spray on an even coat of the bedliner, wait 5 minutes and give it another coat and within a very short period of time (20-30 minutes) you're good to go!
the liner is similar to a thick paint, will dry with a bit of a rough surface not smooth like paint and dries DRY, not gooey or even rubbery. 2 coats are roughly 8-10 mils thick so there'll be very little if any difference with detector depth issues and unless you look closely, you or your hunting buddy won't even know it's there!

it's not meant to prevent major damage to your coil from a hard hit to a rock, but will help greatly with those little bumps and scrapes. besides spraying the bottom of mine, i've also given the sides the same 2 coats just for a little bit of added protection there too. we all bump things, so it's better safe than sorry.
the brand i used is called "EZ Liner" and the one can would likely be enough to do 20+ coils!

so yeah, that's about it: clean, spray, wait 5min, spray again, dry for 20, swing!"

i didn't bother with any photos since applying it is just like giving anything a coat of spray paint and when it's done and dry, you can't even tell that it there! a photo of the finished coil still looks just like a coil. :shock:;)
that brand name i listed is about $10 for a can.

Pete

It tool me about 35min but I wrapped my coil in athletic training pre-wrap (thin foam non-adhesive wrap) and then added a second layer of 3M stretchy anti-abrasive electrical tape. cost $5 total, protects from dings, tape has held extremely well (under water infact). If you decide to trade up, you can always remove this (unlike these bedliners).

Attachments

• 3M-Scotch-Super-33-Electrical-Tape.jpg
    3M-Scotch-Super-33-Electrical-Tape.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 430
  • preview1278.jpg
    preview1278.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 431
Oh hey thanks for the tip on 'how to post youtube'

Well that was fun and again credit to the person who had the original idea... I just confirm the procedure and verify the results. If you decide to go this route buy the best product for the thickest application and save some time coating. Stay well off the coil when spraying and don't cover the bolt ups.

I will test to see if there was any loss of performance and post in video soon as the last coat hardens.

Me NOT metal detecting... sigh*

me.jpg

my dog NOT finding a place to do his business... Yikes!

dog.jpg

yes sir, that's the stuff! it takes about 10 cans to do a truck, one can will do 10 coils, haha! i say that 'cause when i bought it the clerk looked at me kinda funny for only buying one can. i told him i have a really small truck. :lol::lol:

(and wow dogpound, you've gotta LOT more snow than we do! :shock: )

Pete

thats chicago with all the snow:shock:, we have just about 8 inches left on the ground here but still more than i wanna see.

i'm really liking the spray liner idea:waytogo:

Back
Top Bottom