The Story of My Life

Chipk

Elite Member
We all have a couple of special finds that are especially important to us. Something we might rush into a burning building to save. Maybe it's the value of it or a special memory but somehow it stands apart from other finds.

Mine was a 1906 O Barber half.

I found it a few months ago at the end of an extremely difficult hunt. It was the only decent target of the day among a lot of deep deep trash. But it was also my first Barber coin and my second silver half ('41 Walker).

I marveled over finding it a number of times and it became my lucky coin at my weekly poker tournament where my winnings improved with it.

It was special to me.

And I lost it.

Wasn't sure how. I took special care of it and was sure I didn't drop it. Still the wife and I tore the house apart for days looking for it to no avail. Maybe I accidentally left it at the poker game and someone pocketed it. I was very sad.

So I eventually decided to replace it and started shopping eBay. A replacement wouldn't be THE COIN, but it would be close. I was looking for another 1906, preferably an O and it had to be in similar shape. Slim pickings.

Well one night there were two that would work and I bid on both of them, hoping I might get one.

I ended up with both.

So now I have two "fake" finds. Took one to the poker tournament and won. Good. The mojo is still with me.

Well yesterday I driving home and sitting at a red light and casually wondered if I had looked in the Jeep's console. Pulled out the CDs, dried up lip balms and used napkins and looked in.

AND THERE IT WAS! Apparently I had carefully stored My Precious there to prevent losing it. And forgot where it was.

Story of my life. Went from one Barber to No Barber to Three Barbers.

I'm still laughing!

Attachments

• IMG_1833.jpg
    IMG_1833.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 205
Neat story, thanks for sharing !!!!

I know that had to be such a great feeling when you found it, maybe almost as good as when you first found it !

At least next time IF you can't find it you'll know the first place to look ! :lol:

We all likely have had times like that, I know I've had times where I'd put something somewhere thinking "I'll put it here so I'll know where to find it when I need it" only later on to say "where did I put that :?: ....I know I put it in a special spot !" :laughing:

wherecomic4.jpg

wherecomic5.jpg

wherecomic.jpgwherecomic2.jpgwherecomic3.jpg

Last edited:
Haha! Glad you found it. Usually, if I put something in a safe place so I won't lose it ... well, I'll probably never see it again. :lol: I'd like to think it has nothing to do with old age, but ....... :laughing:

Cool! Now you got 3 Barber Halfs! You are in the top 1%! Loved your write up! You came out of this way ahead! You bluffed holding an Ace high and won a Full House pot!:laughing::laughing:

Happy for you that you found it. I found my first Seated a while back, 1877 and decided to put into an inner fold of my wallet for failsafe against losing it.

Drove 20 miles to meet a friend who detected, pulled out my wallet over a pool table and found it gone. There was a slit in the bottom side of the pocket! Never did find it. Coulda fell out in friend's truck when I started to show it but changed my mind. He looked, his cab was unkept so who knows. Never did find it :(

On the upside, I found my second Seated last week in the same hunt area as two years ago. That one went into treasure like it was a plain coin and I didn't lose it this time.

If I find one like yours, I will walk to my car right then and put it in a place like yours was put.

I'm hoping for a similar outcome. I recently misplaced an 1889 V Nickel 🙁

Great story and glad you found the original! It never hurts to have those backups handy too though.

My "good" finds all go into one little Mason jelly jar and if I ever want to show them to anyone the whole jar goes with me. Harder to lose that than one coin, which I could lose in half a heartbeat as I'm forever misplacing things! Keys, glasses, coffee cups, remote controls, you name it, I've lost it.

I don't even wear my rings when I go detecting anymore as I'm paranoid about losing them too :roll:

Back
Top Bottom